User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arteta Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Arteta Thread

I thought seeing as he is indeed the next manager we needed a thread about Arteta.

he's here now and he's made some good noises in public, but he has big challenges - he needs to try to keep Auba on side and quickly create a team dynamic that can give Auba much better service so he can start scoring again.

he also needs to work out that Xhaka is surplus to requirements - this is key to me - it annoys me that Freddie talks about leaving out certain players because they don't have the right attitude but he plays someone who when captain crawled off the pitch in a game that needed urgency and told the fans to fuck off.

Clearly Xhaka is good at getting up the manager's arse but on the pitch he's too slow and makes several dreadful passes and tackles during a game - btw if he'd made contact with one of his attempted tackles on Saturday he'd have been shown a straight red.

i'll be really disappointed if Arteta backs him tbh - i want Xhaka out and hope Arteta sees him for what he is

elsewhere Arteta needs to get the budget to buy a very good CB in the January window - the club may think we have a lot of CBs but the reality is:

Holding - excellent and first on the defensive teamsheet for me, but injured

Chambo - good defender but needs the right guy next to him to keep improving

Mavropanos - haven't seen enough of him to konw but as he can't get a game in the league despite our shortcomings, that seems to inditate he's maybe not ready

Sokratis - totally lost it

Luiz - absolutely dreadful defender and either needs to be used as a makeshifft DM or sold

Mustafi - appalling player with a dreadful attitude, must be got out of the club

at, RB Bellerin still looks rusty so needs more time. AMN has improved a little but we need better cover

at LB, Saka did a great job on Saturday and should continue to cover for Tierney and Kola - in fact i'd already think about playing him ahead of Kola

in front of defence, for me Torreira should play in alongside Guendouzi or (if we strengthen the CBs) Chambers or even Luiz

upfield i thought Freddie had hit upon the right combination with Martinelli, Auba and Pepe, and was surprised he left Pepe out but Freddie obviously wanted to give Nelson a go

i do think Nelson will in the long run turn out to be a very good player for us but in leaving Pepe out on Saturday, was Freddie saying he didn't have the right attitude? i'd be surprised if a player who was that new to the club still and quite young would be stepping out of line

and two other players to mention:

Laca remains imporant but needs to understand he may not start every game but will still be given enough games to merit being here

Ozil yes is expensive and clearly has attitude problems so ideally we sell him, but if not then we should try to take advantage of what to me is an improvement in his form recently, that's seen him play a good part in linking up play

Condemning him for maybe not taking training seriously is the flip side of thinking Xhaka's great because he does work hard in training- i want to see the better player on the pitch, not the teacher's pet

Overall Arteta needs to get some good drills in place for the defence which is more sophisticated than telling everyone to play out from the back all the time, and he needs to educate the back line in moving up in unison to give the goalie more space and push back the opposing team

Auba needs to be told to stay upfield for when we clear the ball from a defensive situation

and anyone taking a short corner should be told they will be shot...
    Last edited by Mac76; 23-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mavropanos has been injured almost entirely for two years. The time to judge him would be now if he doesn't break down again. I'm not sure if Emery not picking him is a negative tbf considering he continued to choose two clowns over Holding and Chambers.

I don't think Pepe necessarily has a bad attitude but more that he's even weaker than Ozil and is a liability in terms of tracking back. The fact that he's still adapting to a new country and club might also be contributing to a player who is struggling to show his quality in more than just brief flashes.

Ozil completing two five-yard passes and setting up his first chance in six months doesn't warrant a husk of a player who's only attribute is having a maniacal fanbase being anywhere near the team.

Auba can fuck off too if he's angling for the big final contract of his career. He's been fine in terms of attitude and performance during a dreadful period though, so deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Was this the Arteta thread?

Arteta .

Greatest Spaniard we've ever had and the best hair in the managerial business.

Hope he shows his proudness by wearing a tracksuit against Bournemouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post

Was this the Arteta thread?
    yes

i got a bit sidetracked on the state of the squad, but i'm just outlining what he's got to work with and the decisions i'd like to see him make.

i don't blame Auba for wanting CL football and the chance to win more while he can, and unfortunately the 18 months we've lost with Emery means we can't probably get to a position where Auba would want to stay, unless Arteta masterminds a Europa League win

i'm more hopeful of the Europa league with Emery gone though and while some good teams have now dropped into it if i was Arteta i'd make it a priority

But he really needs to get the squad onside as much as possible and shift some deadwood in January if he can.

and i want to see a tracksuit too, always the better option for me and far more sensible in winter...
    Last edited by Mac76; 23-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely all the players need to be given a fresh slate under new management? Why would any manager come in and, without so much as a training session, decide if anyone is in or out? For the players that want to muck in and work as part of the new project, let's keep them. For those that have their eye on bumper contracts or CL football as the primary concern and aren't prepared to strive for that at Arsenal, get rid.

Fact is, we don't have the cash (well we do, but he won't spend it) to buy a new team. So We'll need to make the best of what we have. The modern game is a shitty parody of football as it used to be. Players aren't here because it was always their dream to play for Arsenal. Most of them are here because of the wages they can get now, the wages they might get in the future (just by sticking around rather than actually earning them), or the shop window a famous PL club offers. Modern day players are, in the main, sad, sick fucks who dishonour the sport. But maybe some of the kids are still at a stage where their heads could be turned by the idea of working for success. Let's focus on them. And maybe there's a few professionals left in the squad. Let's get them onboard. The rest can fuck off. 20 players with their heads in the game and a willingness to give every drop of effort might be enough to stabilise the ship and slowly build something competent. That's Arteta's job - to restore competency on the pitch. It doesn't have to be spectacular, we shouldn't be expecting anything approaching the glory days that are now a long way behind us. Just your basic defending, transition from back to front, crossing a ball, shooting at goal, heading a ball, tracking back, keeping a shape. The basics. Done well.

If Arteta can achieve that much he'll be our most successful manager in a decade. But we need to give him a chance to have a look before we start shouting at him about who should stay and who should go. As if the fans know anyway. Xhaka and Torreira were our best players against Everton. Having been our worst in previous matches. They weren't great, but they did show signs they can fight when motivated. Shame a wheelbarrow of cash and a shirt from a famous club can't get them self motivated, but that's the modern player for you.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We analyse the opponent and try to neutralise them."

This is pure genius. Where did he come up with such a groundbreaking philosophy? This could revolutionise our game.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s what we were all told Emery did

We’ll see. He’s talking a good game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen a couple clips from training. Arteta looks like he means business tbf, very intense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NQ - sure he's got the right to make his mind up, but if you're asking what fans know, we watch players week in week out, and i know very few people who think Xhaka is good enough, and it will bother me if Arteta can't see that.

Fine if Arteta is able to make Xhaka twice as quick on his feet and stop him from making suicide tacles and passes in EVERY game, then great but forgive me if i think it's unlikely...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post

"We analyse the opponent and try to neutralise them."

This is pure genius. Where did he come up with such a groundbreaking philosophy? This could revolutionise our game.
    Like Letters says that was what Emery said and actually it didn't work and meant we didn't prioritiese playing our own game and having an identity strong enough to make our opponents have to adapt thwirs

Also it's not exactly how Citeh go about things is it - that have their style and deliver on it - yes some excellent players to deliver it, but even Sheffield United are doing well playing games with a clear direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair play to Pep - can’t have been easy sitting next to Mikel with his perfect Lego-hair for 3 years.