User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Match Reaction v Leeds (home, FA Cup)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Players are now flopping to the deck as soon as they come under the slightest pressure. It's a super easy way to get out of trouble, even when the opponent hasn't gone in hard and is playing within the rules. The guy on the ball feels the slightest touch and down he goes. Ref blows. Pressure is off.

Agreed, if the opponent has gone in hard and unfairly then it's a free kick. That's always been the case. But this increasing problem of players tumbling when a foul hasn't been committed is far too common. I thought Taylor reffed it well. He turned a blind eye unless an obvious foul was committed or the play was dangerous. Like it used to be. It made for a much more entertaining game and both teams still managed to pass and play.
    Oh, of course. I'm not saying it's not an embarrassing state to be in - just that anyone associated with the game at a professional / institutional level in this country (and that includes the media) has no grounds for complaint. After years of telling the world that you have to kick teams off the park in order to compete, it can't come as a shock that players are now going down even just anticipating contact. It's a monster that we've created, and it's probably going to be a long time before we can phase it out.

On the plus side, it's all good practice for International football! Like it or not, this is the way the rest of the world play (and officiate) the game, and no one but us are bothered by it, in the slightest so the sooner we get to grips with it, the sooner England might actually wise up and win something.