User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Chelsea (away)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was nice to do to a team what teams normally do to us... dominate possession, make a mistake at the back and goal. Martinelli is excellent. thought we played well and work hard but thought Chelsea were poor.... think they are only 4th because us, United and Spuds have been even worse.

another game another draw.... only 10 more points to reach the 40 point mark for the season. so that's good. I know we are 10 points behind Chelsea but if we could actually put a run together of 4 or 5 wins I would start fancying that we could sneak into top 4. although we are as likely to draw the next 4 or win them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good result under the circumstances, we really needed a win but having gone down to 10 you'd take a point.

The good:

Martinelli was oustanding, as he has been alll season, don't understand why this guy has not had more game time, he works hard, is skillful, scores goals, he's a real menace to the opposition, seems to have only got into the team due to circumstances though (due to Auba being suspended).

Team worked hard after we went down to 10 credit to them and had good energy

Xhaka seemed better at CB then in midfield IMO, still not convinced about him to be honest, but he did OK last night.

Bellerin was decent too, scored a brilliant goal as well.

Now the bad:

Mustafi should have never played, he's a liability and has a mistake in him every 1 or 2 games, we had Holding on the bench but he should have played, horrendous decision to not play him instead and it cost us

Subs/formation - very poor, Arteta switches to a back 5 and decides to bring Holding on when we were actually doing OK, not long after we concede the 2nd goal, pretty poor tactically IMO.

For me Arteta has brought more energy and greater work rate to the team, but there are some real rookie mistakes we're seeing as well and only 7 points out of 18 isn't a good return so far, also agree Chelsea were poor, once we went down to 10 they lacked any real urgency/leadership, think it's the fact they have so many young players, they tend to lose form later on in the season if played regularly, they need more experienced players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    it was nice to do to a team what teams normally do to us... dominate possession, make a mistake at the back and goal. Martinelli is excellent. thought we played well and work hard but thought Chelsea were poor.... think they are only 4th because us, United and Spuds have been even worse.

another game another draw.... only 10 more points to reach the 40 point mark for the season. so that's good. I know we are 10 points behind Chelsea but if we could actually put a run together of 4 or 5 wins I would start fancying that we could sneak into top 4. although we are as likely to draw the next 4 or win them.
    We won't get into the top 4, there's no chance, we can't buy a win at the moment, our ony hope of CL football and the money that comes with it is the EL, we would focus on that if we have any sense.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's typical that the one season we avoid defeat at both Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford is the season we're utter bobbins elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no chance of 4th place. As satisfied as we are with the fundamental work Arteta is doing, wins are still very scarce. We haven't won back to back games since the opening 2 games of the season and if you go further back to the end of last season, this is a very deep rooted rot.

Arteta is working from the ground up, there's been nothing for him to build on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post

Mustafi should have never played, he's a liability and has a mistake in him every 1 or 2 games, we had Holding on the bench but he should have played, horrendous decision to not play him instead and it cost us
    i'd have played Holding for sure but to be fair to arteta the one game he's seen Holding in was against Leeds when he gave the ball away several times, so i sort of understand why he might play mustafi as again he's not seen him as much as us and doesn't realise (though maybe he does now) just quite how bad he is

of course that's where people like freddie shoudld come into it, and say 'don't play mustafi' but freddie showed us he doesn't really have a clue anyway so it's no surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've only just seen the highlights

brilliant goals from martinelli and hector

can't understand why Luiz was sent off though, i'm sure that doesn't normally happen when someone's fouled in the box

is it something to do with a clear goal-scoring opportunity or 'last man' or something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    can't understand why Luiz was sent off though, i'm sure that doesn't normally happen when someone's fouled in the box

is it something to do with a clear goal-scoring opportunity or 'last man' or something?
    I was thinking that. It wasn't a particularly nasty tackle and I thought they'd stopped all the "denying a goal-scoring opportunity" nonsense when the result of the foul is a penalty - in that case that IS a goal-scoring opportunity so just give him a yellow card and get on with it.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the Xhaka rule of a deliberate foul I think. Was trying to find out how long he is suspended for but the FA hasn't bothered updating their website yet.

The Xhaka rule doesn't get much use when it's not an Arsenal player involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should appeal IMO, as Letters says it wasn't a nasty tackle, just a clumsy intervention