User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Burnley (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Are our players just not very good?
    Is Arteta the right man for such a big job?

Whatever it is, we are years away from being a good side.
    It's several things. One of the key problems that doesn't just affect us, but most teams, is the bullshit style of football that's being played now. Slow, negative, sideways, endless fucking passing with no end product. We've had the era of the winger, the era of the two big strikers battering away, the golden eras of high tempo, direct but technical football - and now this shit which is by far the worst style I've ever seen. And the more adept at boring the shit out of everyone a team becomes, the more they are lauded as masters of the art.

Pep's Barcelona. Pep's gypos. Wenger, at the end, with his tippety shit world record passes per game. We are still fucking around playing Wengerball Mk II. They even showed a stat today about us taking most passes to stick the ball in the net. It's all viewed as cultured football, despite its coma inducing lack of entertainment. We're always dangerous when we pick up the tempo and drive directly. Aggressive, positive movement. Pinging the ball. Taking the opposition on. But we do it so rarely.

Doesn't surprise me at all to see a team with at least five forward thinking and aggressive players tearing up the league. Even when they are playing badly, bang, bang, bang, in the net. Crossing balls. Running the touchline. Taking opponents on.

The opposite has been bred into our lot over a long period of time. It will take just as long to change it. That's if Arteta even wants to change it. I was encouraged by his first few games but now I wonder if he has enough to get the better of these wasters.

Mustafi, Sokratis, Chambers, Holding, Gwen, Torreira, Xhaka, just some of the players who are nowhere near good enough to hold together a serious team over an entire season. Not the world's worst, but none of them would have been within a mile of Arsenal teams of the past.

Ozil, Pepe, Lacazette, Bellerin, decent on their day, far too inconsistent to fire bullets for a proper title challenge.

I agree with others here. Saka, Willock, Martinelli, AMN and I thought Nelson did well too (bar one game), these players seem to have so much more about them than the seniors. Not saying they'd win us anything yet, but I'd rather the manager sink time into them rather than players that have had chance after chance.

Aubu - he's our genuine world class talent. But he'll surely be off in the summer. Last years of his career, he's not going to spend them here languishing in mid table.

This season is a write-off. We aren't going down, but we won't be winning anything the way we're playing. I'd write off next season too. Arteta has to do major work in the summer transfer window. He has to clear out a whole shed of dead wood. Then he has to build a team. So we won't be in the hunt next year either. See where we are the year after that when all the dross (hopefully) has been ditched, we have a good mix of youth and experience (hopefully) and the players that reek of Wengerball are gone.

If Arteta lasts that long. Because if he's another tip tap admirer then he won't last long.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auba can fk off too. totally 1 dimensional. Couldnt get past a grandmother standing in the centre circle with a walking stick. Barca dont tolerate duds. Lets hope we can find someone who simply lives for scoring goals like Ian Wright did. None of these players actually gives a shit...or maybe they are just shit.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Auba can fk off too.

He's pretty much the only reason we aren't in the relegation zone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

He's pretty much the only reason we aren't in the relegation zone.
    Spot on!
    Which is worrying because can we afford a quality striker in the summer when he leaves? Still not massively convinced Martinelli will be the answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think martinelli's a great prospect - also from NQ's list i think torreira and holding are worth sticking with, but agree there's a lot of others who aren't good enough, just hoping arteta can see it as there are worrying signs he can't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Are our players just not very good?
    Is Arteta the right man for such a big job?

Whatever it is, we are years away from being a good side.
    I personally don’t think outside of Auba and maybe Leno we have any decent senior players.

Martinelli and Saka are great young talents, the rest are open to debate.

We are going to need a smart rebuild to move forward.

Arteta is a decent coach IMO and given proper support could be the right man for the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Arteta has done pretty poorly personally, yes we're a bit more solid in defence, but that's at the expense of the attack and we've picked up 8 points from 21 since he arrived!!! Poor lineup, poor subs, Burnley with a decent striker would have won this.

As for the style of football, that's the style he likes, he learnt it under Wenger and we're seeing it now, pointless sideways passing, 30 passes to get near the goal, I thought those days were over.

In contract Ancelotti has come in at Everton who we below us and picked up 14 points in the same period with a team inferior to us (with players like Walcott and Iwobi!!!), so questions have to be asked about Arteta because frankly if you'd told me we are getting a new manager in and in the 1st 7 games he's get just 8 points, I'd tell you to keep looking for someone better, many of the teams we've played have got inferior teams, so it's down the the manager.
    Last edited by Özim; 03-02-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I personally don’t think outside of Auba and maybe Leno we have any decent senior players.

Martinelli and Saka are great young talents, the rest are open to debate.

We are going to need a smart rebuild to move forward.

Arteta is a decent coach IMO and given proper support could be the right man for the job.
    Torreira is decent but he dropped him for this game. Not convinced with Arteta, I mean thinks Xhaka is the best thing since sliced bread and starts him every match and thinks he can turn around Mustafis' career, he's too similar to Wenger for my liking, I wanted someone with some new ideas not a mini Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    on a positive note only Liverpool have lost fewer games.
    fuhking hell!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The defence hasn't improved at the expense of the attack. Our attack hasn't been great most of this season and the problem has just continued.

I thought this was one of Arteta's poorest games as manager, if not the poorest.