Thread: Why Can't We Win?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Can't We Win?

So here's the points per game over the last 3 seasons:

The blue line is Wenger's last season.
    Orange is Emery's first season - overall better and one impressive runs at the start (although results flattered us at times in that run).
    Grey is this season. First 8 games comparable to the last 2 seasons. Since then...
    We've not lost that many but we've won 2 out of 16. 2!
    Why can't we win games?

Or rather, why is our inability to win games so much worse than the last 2 seasons.
    We won 21 games last year. Even in Wenger's last season we were losing too many but we still won 19.
    This year so far it's 6.

What the hell is that about? What is so different this season that we just can't win games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hmmm, tricky one......"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our attack overall has been quite poor. I’d wager 32 goals after 25 games could be our lowest at this stage for a long time.

If Auba doesn’t score then it’s pot luck really if anyone else will. You can’t just rely on one player for goals. Our midfield is next to useless as well in terms of contributing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think sometime's we've spent so long working on our defensive issues we've packed the team with defensive minded players even the forwards are having to defend more than they should.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think our attack overall has been quite poor. I’d wager 32 goals after 25 games could be our lowest at this stage for a long time.

If Auba doesn’t score then it’s pot luck really if anyone else will. You can’t just rely on one player for goals. Our midfield is next to useless as well in terms of contributing.
    Yeah, it's our goal-scoring

This season: 32 (A34)
    2019: 51 (A36)
    2018: 46 (A34)

So the defence has remained consistently crap, our attack has got significantly worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We look more solid in defence since Arteta arrived but we are blunt in attack.

In short: Wenger in.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    We look more solid in defence since Arteta arrived but we are blunt in attack.

In short: Wenger in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't think the pass pass football suits our team, we've got a potent strike force and a game based more on counter attacking might put their skills to better use, our football is too slow.

We should be able to score and create plenty with players like Pepe, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Martinelly and Ozil.

Xhaka for me is just awful, slow at everything he does which hinders our games terribly, we need to move Luiz who is more dynamic into midfield next to Torreira.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xhaka for me is just awful, slow at everything he does which hinders our games terribly, we need to move Luiz who is more dynamic into midfield next to Torreira.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about the lack of speed moving the ball forward.
    It is endless pass, pass, pass and by the time we get to the edge of their area there's 10 players in the box to get past.
    We need a bit of pace to stretch teams. On occasion we score great goals where we do go forward with pace, we just don't do it often enough.
    Matinelli got a bit of luck against Chelsea with the slip but that sort of pace going forward is really hard to defend and if defenders do make a mistake like get caught wrong footed and slip then you've made your own luck there. We need to do that more.