Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Phew!

Wait... what?
    I'm as in the dark as you over Auba. No idea if he will stay or go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently in for some dude called Gabriel from Lille.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Seems like the move for Willian is at the behest of Arteta. I guess he feels like that work ethic and athleticism fits in to what he wants to build. There’s a winning mentality too I suppose.

Dunno, I know he’s a good player but just find these kind of signings so underwhelming. A Chelsea mate of mine said they’ve signed Ziyech and probably will get Havertz. Levels...and I can’t help but agree.

If Edu, Raul and Joorabchian want to all line each other’s pockets then at least go and find another Martinelli or some other rough diamond in South America.
    Only at Arsenal would our transfer policy go from not buying anyone at all to seemingly overpaying on young talents or picking up washed up players from our so called rivals.

The David Luiz deal amounted to 24 million, 24 million pounds for a defender who is not only old but wasn’t even deemed good enough for Chelsea’s mess of a defence.

If we are seriously going to give Willian are 3 year deal then Raul & Edu should be fired immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Apparently in for some dude called Gabriel from Lille.
    Ooh, now that’s more like it! Hope there’s some truth to that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve gotta say, I’m not actually sure what Edu does at this point? As far as I can make out he’s just there to give Raul’s shady AF operation an acceptable public face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Only at Arsenal would our transfer policy go from not buying anyone at all to seemingly overpaying on young talents or picking up washed up players from our so called rivals.

The David Luiz deal amounted to 24 million, 24 million pounds for a defender who is not only old but wasn’t even deemed good enough for Chelsea’s mess of a defence.

If we are seriously going to give Willian are 3 year deal then Raul & Edu should be fired immediately.
    I had the same reaction as you initially, but I wouldn't mind getting Willian on a free transfer if it means we can focus our budget on signing 2 or 3 genuinely quality players in midfield and defense. I don't want us spreading the money out too thin and ending up with a bunch of mediocre players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Giroud.

Ideally we can unearth a young gem like Martinelli instead, but that's easier said than done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I had the same reaction as you initially, but I wouldn't mind getting Willian on a free transfer if it means we can focus our budget on signing 2 or 3 genuinely quality players in midfield and defense. I don't want us spreading the money out too thin and ending up with a bunch of mediocre players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Giroud.

Ideally we can unearth a young gem like Martinelli instead, but that's easier said than done.
    Aye, if it’s Willian plus Gabriel (Lille defender) & Partey then that’s a decent window. I do get the feeling that we need to make some space in the squad to bring in proper additions. The likes of Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Torreira, one of Holding or Chambers & Elneny all need to be moved on though. I think we would struggle to find a buyer for most of that lot With the exception of Torreira and the English lads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Aye, if it’s Willian plus Gabriel (Lille defender) & Partey then that’s a decent window. I do get the feeling that we need to make some space in the squad to bring in proper additions. The likes of Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Torreira, one of Holding or Chambers & Elneny all need to be moved on though. I think we would struggle to find a buyer for most of that lot With the exception of Torreira and the English lads.
    I still have faith in Holding and think Chambers is great ,decent footballer in several positions and a real Arsenal lad, remember how he was bombing forward even when Emery was telling him not to?

I think we should keep him around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I still have faith in Holding and think Chambers is great ,decent footballer in several positions and a real Arsenal lad, remember how he was bombing forward even when Emery was telling him not to?

I think we should keep him around
    Oh I agree. I actually really like Chambers, think he's a decent player and was starting to really establish himself before he got crocked. I'd keep him around for sure assuming he recovers from his injury well. I actually think he could force his way back into contention again as a first XI player.

Holding isn't bad either but....I don't think there is room for both him and Chambers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was disappointed that Holding didn't give a better impression of himself to Arteta. Not entirely his fault because Arteta threw him in at the deep end against Leeds, and then froze him out. But that little run of games he got was a really good opportunity to make the position his own, like Martinez has done at GK.

Both Holding and Chambers are at an age where they need to take their chances when they get them. Saliba is here now and hopefully we'll be signing a top quality CB this window too, so they might not get the game time they want.