User Tag List

Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torreira saying he’s at an age where he needs to be playing. I think that’s fair enough - he’d be a very good player in the right league, but I’m not sure that’s the Prem. Feels like one of the obvious ‘outs’ this summer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Torreira saying he’s at an age where he needs to be playing. I think that’s fair enough - he’d be a very good player in the right league, but I’m not sure that’s the Prem. Feels like one of the obvious ‘outs’ this summer...
    It depends on what system they want to play. He’s a little wasp who will buzz about in front of the CBs

The main reason. Xhaka and Cabellos are playing, is because of the third CB, which gives us (loosely) more creativity.

If we go back four, and find more driving creativity, he becomes vital.

Who knows. Top little player IMO, he’s just unlucky because the people around him aren’t those who can let him play his natural game.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stories going around that AMN has been told he’s being transfer listed. Unclear whether that’s with or without the manager’s blessing - I’ve seen conflicting reports on that - but I’d keep him, personally.

(*Unless we receive a silly offer, of course.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    It depends on what system they want to play. He’s a little wasp who will buzz about in front of the CBs

The main reason. Xhaka and Cabellos are playing, is because of the third CB, which gives us (loosely) more creativity.

If we go back four, and find more driving creativity, he becomes vital.

Who knows. Top little player IMO, he’s just unlucky because the people around him aren’t those who can let him play his natural game.
    Yeah, exactly that. So many of our problems stem from the fact that we haven’t had CBs who are good enough in 1-on-1s to play in a back two - they all need the security of an extra man, which means we lose a midfielder.

Torreira’s problem is he’s just as one-dimensional as Xhaka in his own way: Xhaka mostly just passes well from deep; Torreira mostly just tackles well (albeit very well). And when you’re faced with a choice of 1D players, I think the best teams will generally pick the passers first, trying to control the game, and look to bring on someone like Torreira second, if / when they’re getting overrun.

We need an upgrade on both of them, tbh - players who offer more than just their main strength. Great, you can tackle / pass from deep really well... what else do you do? Can you carry the ball? Can you break lines? Do you add goals and creativity in the final 3rd? Are you strong on set pieces? Can you play another role if we need you to? I think you need to wear multiple hats to play at the top these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torreira's a good player but Arteta wants two CMs who can spray passes around everywhere. I don't think that's ever going to be Torreira's game so it makes sense to let him go and bring in someone that fit's the manager's system.

Personally I'd want to keep him around at least one more season because we're already short in CMs.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53687870

Willian looks excited for the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Torreira's a good player but Arteta wants two CMs who can spray passes around everywhere. I don't think that's ever going to be Torreira's game so it makes sense to let him go and bring in someone that fit's the manager's system.

Personally I'd want to keep him around at least one more season because we're already short in CMs.

I like LT, but I don’t think we have the luxury of keeping him at the moment? We need to raise funds, fast, and he’s one of our few saleable assets who is a) good, b) young, c) on wages that would be affordable for other clubs, and d) generating plenty of interest.

Plus if we bring in any of the midfielders we’re being linked to then he probably doesn’t start for us, and it doesn’t sound like he’ll be happy with that. He’s good enough to start for someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partey
    Willian
    Coutinho
    Gabriel

Good window?
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saliba able to play now, although we don't know what's going to happen with Ceballos.

Mostly would be alright given we're not in the most enviable of positions and the season starts in a month, well late August if you include the Community Sheild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Partey
    Willian
    Coutinho
    Gabriel

Good window?
    If we only brought in Partey and Gabriel, then that would still be a good window for me.

Willian would be a bonus, but I’d much rather put anything we’re looking at spending on Coutinho towards making Ceballos permanent - too many players in that Coutinho deal that I just don’t trust (inc. the player).
    Last edited by I am invisible; 08-08-2020 at 12:49 PM.