Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post

Exactly!

Keep both of them and make Leno force his way back into the team.
    Agreed.

Martinez looks much better between the sticks than Leno imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i still think £20m sounds too little for a really good keeper - after all how many points does a really good keeper get you in a season - it must be a lot, one save can make the difference between a defeat or a draw or a draw or a win - 10 points? 15?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why dont we make it a loan to Villa. I year and then we see where things stand. I would keep both. Give Martinez all the cups and Leno the league
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Can’t see where he will fit in. We have like 8 centre backs on the books so that will need trimming significantly.
    Not right now, but beyond this season it starts to make a little more sense.

Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi only have another year on their contracts, so they could all be gone by next summer.

And Chambers and Mavropanos could both be earning more money and getting first team football elsewhere, so I can see them moving on within the next 12 months too.

Gabriel, Saliba and Mari are obviously here for the long-term as they've only just signed, but that's only 3 CBs.

Which leaves Holding, who I suspect we might be looking at keeping him as our 4th long-term CB option.

Obviously if a large enough offer came in for him then we'd have to consider it - he's not so good that he's untouchable - but I think it would have to be something pretty big to make it worth our while. Again, it comes down to who we could get as a replacement - Holding currently only earns about £25k/wk (yeah, I know... "only") and has a contract until 2023, so we'd have to be able to find someone as good or better for less money otherwise it's not worth it.

In terms of this season, I reckon there there's probably a couple of plans for him: if no one goes, then we may look to loan Holding out for the year so he can build up his form and fitness up after a long injury (whilst we bring in a small loan fee and get his wages covered); but if 1 or 2 of those CBs do move on then it would probably be better to keep him here? Mari, Mustafi and Chambers are all currently out injured, and Gabriel, Saliba and Mari are all new to the league, so he'd end up having a larger role to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Why dont we make it a loan to Villa. I year and then we see where things stand. I would keep both. Give Martinez all the cups and Leno the league
    Why not have 2 decent keepers that strive for the #1 spot - as it used to be? Injuries happen, form dips. Are we so strapped for cash we can't hang on to a couple of decent keepers? Can't go forwards if we keep going backwards.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell Leno if we have to.. Martinez is the second name on the team sheet after Auba.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villa seems a really low bar for Martinez to go to given the form he has displayed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Villa seems a really low bar for Martinez to go to given the form he has displayed.
    Yeah surprised Manure didn't go in for him... Oh wait they have Henderson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Totally, he obviously just wants to be gauranteed first team football, and simply on merit i think we should make him our PL keeper and play Leno in cups, I don't dislike Leno but let him earn his place back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Why not have 2 decent keepers that strive for the #1 spot - as it used to be? Injuries happen, form dips. Are we so strapped for cash we can't hang on to a couple of decent keepers? Can't go forwards if we keep going backwards.

At the very least I’d like to be certain that what we’re seeing from Emi is permanent class and not just a bit of form before there’s any talk of cashing in on either keeper - Alex Manninger had a similar run of 10 or 11 amazing games in the ‘98 run in, but he never really kicked on after that.