Page 75 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We are in the waiting period.
    When Arsenal knocks on a player’s door it’s a different knock.

It’s a silent knock.

It’s no knock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Signings is one thing but we also need to get rid of about 5 players at least if possible.
    That will happen on the last day now - any interested club will leave it until then to see if we’ll write off the final year of those players’ contracts and let them go for free, like we did with Mkhitaryan. Beyond this window we’re not getting a fee for them anyway - the only difference is whether we want to pay another year of 100k/wk wages for unwanted, unused players. That will basically be the only offer we get: “we’ll save you that final year of salary”. And we’ll have to accept.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 03-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it’s money we will just have to write off. Really makes you reflect on how poor and misjudged the recruitment has been, players hardly ever seem to appreciate in value with us now, feels like we’re always left with crap we can’t even give away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All true, i just hope we get rid of that crap somehow even if, Invisible says, it just gets them off the wage bill and out of the squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the real cost of comedy clubs like city and the chavs. The long term effect. We have dross hanging around on silly money because you have to pay a fortune just to get dross these days. The comedy clubs have driven inflation through the roof. It's even a problem with the youngsters. I'd be happy to sign nobody, because I don't think it will make a difference anyway, and build a team around the kids. But the minute that plan started working they'd all be at the manager's door demanding six figures a week, because some bench warmer in gypoland gets it. If football people couldn't have a rethink during this covid chaos then they never will.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very true about wage inflation, IIRC it was calming down until Abramovic arrived at Chelski - then Citeh jpined in and ofc Moan U have thrown silly money at players

The irony is Chelski did alright whem they were forced to play their younger talent consistently, i wish Arteta would be forced to do the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I’d like to see more of the younger players more often, but I also kind of get why we’re showing a bit of restraint - players like Smith Rowe and Saliba have already suffered long-term injuries before their 19th birthdays so you do have to carefully manage their workload. Just because we chucked guys like Wilshere and Cesc straight into the starting XI at that age, doesn’t mean we should have. It certainly didn’t do Wilshere’s career any favours in the long-run!

Tbh, I haven’t been blown away by what Lampard has done with the younger players at Chelsea - looked impressive to start with but the longer the season went on the more it looked like there was no real plan behind it. Mostly it looks like they’ve just thrown caution to the wind - results in some exciting football at times, but their defence is shocking and they’ll never seriously challenge for anything playing that way. They’re basically Wenger’s Arsenal in his second 10 years.

What we’re having to do at the moment is more dour to look at, but at least it feels like the first part of a plan, and that we’re laying the long-term foundations for something. Hopefully Arteta will be the man to take us to that next level with our attacking play, but even if it’s the next guy then this work will still have been worth it.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything suggests Aouar is staying now.

I hate transfer windows, always such a saga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sounds like we're some way off their valuation so deal is dead. Going to be a long season with our current centre mid options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Everything suggests Aouar is staying now.

I hate transfer windows, always such a saga.
    Aulas on top form, I see!

I mean, sure, there’s always a chance a deal will collapse whenever we’re involved, but it won’t be because we’ve missed some deadline that Aulas has set - if an offer comes in that he likes, he still sells.

Haven’t they already signed Aouar’s replacement? And didn’t he recently say they had to sell two out of Aouar, Depay and the Jeff?