User Tag List

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Have you thought about seeing a therapist?
    Samaritans?
    I already have.

First I went and found a really really cheap one, just because they don't cost £500 an hour it doesn't mean they're not as good, but that didn't work.

So then I spoke to someone retired and they said they'd do it for free, again it didn't work as, he was on holiday most of the time and wasn't too fussed.

Finally I went out and spent big money on someone, they were a lawyer not a therapist, but were really expensive, again it didn't work.

Trouble is it's getting worse now, I was thinking of giving a cheap one another go, someone with no experience but who could potentially be the best around, what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I already have.

First I went and found a really really cheap one, just because they don't cost £500 an hour it doesn't mean they're not as good, but that didn't work.

So then I spoke to someone retired and they said they'd do it for free, again it didn't work as, he was on holiday most of the time and wasn't too fussed.

Finally I went out and spent big money on someone, they were a lawyer not a therapist, but were really expensive, again it didn't work.

Trouble is it's getting worse now, I was thinking of giving a cheap one another go, someone with no experience but who could potentially be the best around, what do you think?
    Erm....It might be cheaper and easier to change teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Erm....It might be cheaper and easier to change teams
    Tell Kroenke that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    He’s too one-footed - that’s his biggest problem right now. He’s got all the skill in the world, but until he gets comfortable switching to his right foot when he needs to he’s always going to be predictable in open play. Hopefully he’s been working on it - could be a very good player if he does...
    Messi is fairly one footed and he does ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s too one-footed - that’s his biggest problem right now. He’s got all the skill in the world, but until he gets comfortable switching to his right foot when he needs to he’s always going to be predictable in open play. Hopefully he’s been working on it - could be a very good player if he does...
    I was hoping Arteta would be working on ways of getting him to isolate the opposition full back so he can cut in with only the keeper and/or the CB to beat ala Robben. I think even if his right foot it only for standing on, he does just need to choose the outside a little more and focus more on quick one twos with Bellerin rather than having to beat 3 players at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I was hoping Arteta would be working on ways of getting him to isolate the opposition full back so he can cut in with only the keeper and/or the CB to beat ala Robben. I think even if his right foot it only for standing on, he does just need to choose the outside a little more and focus more on quick one twos with Bellerin rather than having to beat 3 players at a time.
    I’m not expecting him to be Santi-levels of ambidextrous after a couple of training sessions or anything - he just needs to be a little more willing and ready to use his right foot if that’s where the opening is. Make himself less predictable. That ability to keep opponents guessing and act quickly and decisively is worth more than all the tricks and step overs in the world.

I remember them highlighting something in the pre-match warm up of Arteta’s first game in charge, where he had Nelson practicing cutting onto his left and getting shots away quickly from the edge of the area - sure enough, he did exactly that in the game and we got our goal from it. Wasn’t a brilliant connection as it happened - took bit of a deflection - but it was enough to force the ball through to Auba’s waiting feet. If he was drilling that into Nelson from game one then I’m guessing he probably wants the same from Pepe?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 14-02-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe's pretty shite tbf. Because he's one of ours we give him x-hundred and seventy chances to actually do something on the pitch. Which means, sometime around the summer of 2022, fans are going to become disillusioned with the New Theo Walcott.

I have no time for players like Pepe. Do you realise how pampered these kids are? Sure, it's a new league, a new language, all of that. So we expect some period of adjustment. But we don't expect him to be utterly clueless. Everything is on tap for these guys to help them to adjust. 70mill quid? JFHC! That would have funded our summer.

Maybe he'll come good. But I doubt he'll ever be consistent. He's got Theo's football brain stuffed in Gervinho's football carcass. This is not a good combination.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn’t blown me away, but I’m not going to write him off just yet. Adjustment period aside, he arrived very late in the window, didn’t get a pre season, walked into a club in absolute meltdown and has had to work with 3 new coaches in the space of 6 months - most of our players have looked terrible in that same period, if we’re being honest.

I’m also kind of relaxed about it for now as we have Saka, Martinelli and Nelson there as alternate options (and two of those have been rare high points in a shit year).

Whether we should have signed him in the first place is a different matter - absolutely crazy deal in our current state, and a total PR stunt, with little other thought behind it. Raul’s job should be under scrutiny after that (which is why we really do need an effective board)...
    Last edited by I am invisible; 15-02-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn’t blown me away, but I’m not going to write him off just yet. Adjustment period aside, he arrived very late in the window, didn’t get a pre season, walked into a club in absolute meltdown and has had to work with 3 new coaches in the space of 6 months - most of our players have looked terrible in that same period, if we’re being honest.

I’m also kind of relaxed about it for now as we have Saka, Martinelli and Nelson there as alternate options (and two of those have been rare high points in a shit year).

Whether we should have signed him in the first place is a different matter - absolutely crazy deal in our current state, and a total PR stunt, with little other thought behind it. Raul’s job should be under scrutiny after that (which is why we really do need an effective board)...
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. I blame the guys who signed him, more than I blame the player. Any fool knew we needed a quality CB, and quality CBs cost - 70mill quid. So we splashed it on a winger who doesn't like to play the wing.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an article about Pepe when we signed him and it said he was a risk taker, he was brave and audacious. Sometimes that skill or flick didn't work, sometimes he lost the ball, but when it did work it usually ended up in a great goal-scoring opportunity for his team.

In an Arsenal shirt I've seen no evidence of any of that. If anything he's the opposite, he plays it safe and backwards even when there's an opportunity to get forward. His close control is pretty good, but he doesn't look particularly good at dribbling at pace one on one against a full back.

Maybe it's just a confidence issue, but every time he's had a good game and I think he's going to really push on he just fizzles out again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think we've got the wrong player.