User Tag List

Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It's a very, very low bar at the moment. How many players can you name in the PL who are above bog ordinary by yesteryear's standards? Mane, Salah, and who else? Probably a couple of gypos like De Brown and Silva. Hazard's gone. Auba's looking a world-beater in this league, but nobody else wanted him when we snagged him. So if Pepe wasn't statistically superior in this league I'd be severely worried. At 72mill he should at least be as good as the horrifically overrated Sterling. He'll have to do a lot more to make me think there's a worthwhile player in there. Right now I can see he'll give us something every now and again, but that just makes him another passenger and we have more than enough of those. Maybe he'll need the whole season to get himself sorted, maybe he'll emerge next season. But I lost count of the number of seasons I used to say the same for Theo Walcott. Too many similarities. So far. I'm eager to be wrong.
    The guy's main attribute is being able to dribble.....Theo's was running into space... so I don't think he is especially comparable to Theo. Also for all Theo's frustrations, his numbers were good when fit. Much better than players we've had in the past with more ability.

As you've suggested, Pepe is on course so there's way too much gnashing of teeth over him.

Sterling has gone off the boil a little recently but questioning whether he was worth 55 million at the time was one of the biggest miscalculations I've ever made about a player. The guy is world class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I think once you get into (and I know this is somewhat an arbitrary figure) 60k+ per week, you're starting to say 'we believe in you as THE left back and perhaps more than the actual guy we bought to play there for 25 million in Tierney'.

We shouldn't be going overboard, it's not even been a full half season of convincing he's done, he doesn't actually even want to play left back and we have 2 other competent left backs! He hasn't come anywhere near to proving his quality beyond doubt at left wing too, which is ultimately where he wants to play. He will need to outdo Martinelli in the short term for that.

I would say up to 40k...perhaps a little bit beyond. I worry with his comments of 'I leave that down to my parents and agent' that we will be subjected to the greed of his parents and/or agent though. You're 18 now kiddo, that's a gown arse man in the eyes of the law....it's down to you.

But hey, I get why they peddle that line...
    Let's be honest, Tierney has been a disaster so far, he may be talented but he arrived injured, played a few games then got injured again, why do we always find these injury prone players?

As for Saka he doesn't really deserve a pay rise based on a handful of games, but again if we rated him why does he only have 18 months left, if he wants to play hard ball then let him and sell him in the summer for 30 million and be done with it, football should be his primary concern not money, if he turns out good riches will follow (well he's already rich but more riches).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were Arsenal, I'd give him an offer of 40K per week plus huge incentives and a written promise that we will revisit his contract again in a year if the performance continues. If he declines, I'd put a 50 million price tag on Saka for the summer and also tell him that he will not play a single game next season if he goes unsold. Let's see what top teams come to touch an 18 year old who had a few decent games in 2020 and then didnt play an entire season after that. Good luck playing in the championship after that.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Let's be honest, Tierney has been a disaster so far, he may be talented but he arrived injured, played a few games then got injured again, why do we always find these injury prone players?

As for Saka he doesn't really deserve a pay rise based on a handful of games, but again if we rated him why does he only have 18 months left, if he wants to play hard ball then let him and sell him in the summer for 30 million and be done with it, football should be his primary concern not money, if he turns out good riches will follow (well he's already rich but more riches).
    I've no doubt it is....but at that age and of his particular culture, it wouldn't be unprecedented to put too much in the people around you, I.E agent, parents etc the advice of which will obviously have a big influence. Let's not forget he's playing where he would rather not and other clubs may sway him with the offer of playing left wing. So ironically 'focusing on football' may still take him away from here.

Personally I'm not especially worried and I think of the 18 month contracts we have to sort his is probably the one that will be the most straight forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Doubt that. Every club in the league could double, maybe triple that at least. Too much money sloshing around now, so we will simply have to pay (within reason) whatever it is he wants. We’re talking about a player who could be here for the next decade, so hopefully we just get it done and ask the questions later because he’s shown enough to suggest it will be worth the investment.
    Exactly.

Some posters on here are living in the past. We are in no position to dictate terms to a kid who is attracting interest from better teams than us.

He is a very good and consistent young player from what we have seen. Pay him the market rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparently Juve are prepared to offer Ramsey to Moan U in return for Pogba

Ramsey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil agent has said he wont leave before the end of his contract. And at 31/32 could still get a good free transfer deal at the end of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's even said that he thinks he'll be offered a new deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no-one buys players like Lacazette, Ozil and Mustafi in the summer, it's the club's fault.

But if Arteta continues to play them with better options available and they continue to be a deterimental presence week after week, then it's 100% on him.

As soon as we started desperately splashing big money on players, the team went downhill. It's a metaphor for the PL and the other big leagues over the past decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks like Auba wants £300,000 a week to stay. https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/07/pierr...o=newsnow-feed