User Tag List

Page 36 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    And you never know - the players themselves might be thinking it's a good time to move on, while their stock is relatively high? It's probably not going to get much better than this for them if they fancy a move, and their Arsenal careers are only going to head one way now. Food for thought.
    Yeah, hope you're right, it would make sense though it needs Arteta to maybe hint to them that they won't be first choice, i've more hope he'll do that with Mustafi, he seems attached to Xhaka for the time being

as long as they're at the club they'll get played, i just don't want them to be an option for us at any point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Yeah, hope you're right, it would make sense though it needs Arteta to maybe hint to them that they won't be first choice, i've more hope he'll do that with Mustafi, he seems attached to Xhaka for the time being

as long as they're at the club they'll get played, i just don't want them to be an option for us at any point
    You'd like to think the two of them could read between the lines here. Mari and Luiz have just signed new deals, so they're going nowhere soon, Saliba is finally joining up with the squad, and it's looking highly likely that we'll be signing Gabriel from Lille - I reckon Chambers is probably safe enough for now, if he's still on his way back from injury, but if I were Mustafi, Sokratis and Holding I'd be looking at it and wondering where I fit?

Likewise, Xhaka must be looking at the Partey links and wondering how much game time he's going to get if we sign the Ghanaian - that one might come down to whether we can secure Ceballos for another year.

Of course both players could easily just fold their arms and sit on their contracts, but I think it's a bit of a balancing act for them now - they're both young enough to have another chance at a decent move, and they've both repaired their reputations somewhat over the last 6 months, so this is probably the best chance they're ever going to get to move on.

I don't know... I think it makes sense for everyone if they move on, but at this point I'd settle for not having to pick them every damn week because we have no other options. We've got a lot of work to do, and it might take two or three summers, so we might have do deal with some of these things on a different day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably as simple as we've got 3 RBs and we only need 2, so they've been put on notice that one of them might be sold. Soares probably isn't going anywhere as he's just signed (and I reckon he's the most likely of the three to be content as the backup option), so it might come down to whoever we receive the best offer for: AMN or Hector?
    I'm pretty sure that the reason we loaned in Cedric in January was because AMN told Arteta he wants to play in CM. Surely there was no other reason to bring in another RB. He obviously hasn't been deemed good enough to play CM though because he's hardly been seen since, even though we've had other under-performers in midfield.

I don't think Bellerin's position is under threat, rightly or wrongly. He was thrown back in the first XI as soon as he was fit, even though AMN was doing well there at the time, and he's been a staple since.

I guess it makes sense that we cash in on AMN if Arteta doesn't see him as a long term option in CM. Use that money towards signing Thomas Partey or Ceballos again. I'd rather we clear out the deadwood first before we let a solid, versatile player like him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what happens with Bellerin, i think he's slowed down a little and i thought it was interesting that his main contribution to the FAC final was driving through the middle to create the move for the second goal

Could he be a DM if his pace on the right isn't what it was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellerin is a bit of stalwart now and our longest serving player, which shows how much upheaval there has been in 5 years! I would definitely look to keep hold of him because he’s a high value player with years ahead of him, and realistically how much better are we going to find at right back?
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 11-08-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Bellerin's fitness record that concerns me - good player, but he doesn't actually play all that much (avg. 20 games/season across the last couple of seasons), and like Mac I think he might have lost a yard of pace. I'd be genuinely sorry to lose him, but at this point I'm not convinced we can really count on him, or base any serious plans around his availability either? I don't think there's actually a great deal between what Bellerin and AMN offer as players at the moment, but Bellerin is costing us 3x as much and only plays about half the games, and that's got to be a serious consideration in our current financial state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It does sound that way, lots of people reporting this. Signing of the summer if so.
    And another example of excellent comedy timing from Arsenal, presumably his wages will go up such that in a matter of weeks the extra salary we'll pay him will be more than the salaries of the 55 staff we're letting go.
    Certainly sends out a positive statement. We ended up almost half way down the league this season yet Auba looks set to stay and we seemingly can still attract half decent players like Willian and the guys we are linked with such as Gabriel & Partey. Say what you like about the current regime but I genuinely think in Arteta, Raul & Edu we have a ambitious bunch. Money is being spent alrighty, they just need to get it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Bellerin's fitness record that concerns me - good player, but he doesn't actually play all that much (avg. 20 games/season across the last couple of seasons), and like Mac I think he might have lost a yard of pace. I'd be genuinely sorry to lose him, but at this point I'm not convinced we can really count on him, or base any serious plans around his availability either? I don't think there's actually a great deal between what Bellerin and AMN offer as players at the moment, but Bellerin is costing us 3x as much and only plays about half the games, and that's got to be a serious consideration in our current financial state.
    All good points, i'd never have believed i'd say this but right now i'd almost rather keep AMN if it was a choice between the two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balls - it sounds like Madrid might want to keep Ceballos next year. More midfield headaches...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caballos and Zidane don't get on I don't think Madrid actually want to keep him it's just the terms Arsenal are offering are not good enough and with his performances twards the end of the season have probably alerted other clubs.