User Tag List

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend's Fixtures & Liverpool v West Ham (22/23/24 Feb).

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowen you berk!

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-2 FT. Reign of terror goes on.

Fabianski clearly still hates us. Tit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 11 games to go Liverpool now have more points than we won the league with in 1998.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this Liverpool side really this good or are the rest of us (Man City aside) just very poor?

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little from A, a little from B.

This is obviously a freakish season, only dropping 2 points so far, but we got 97 points last season and to two Champions League finals on the bounce, so we're clearly half decent by any standard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, it is a bit of both. City are a bit of a mess, Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and us are all pretty patchy. There's no-one to challenge Liverpool, but they are a very good side too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The traditional top sides haven’t been great but then that is always levelled at teams who run away with the title. I suppose how great Liverpool are depends on what they do in the coming years but they’re already CL winners and dominating a league like no one ever has in the history of football.

I’m not sure you can sensibly level anything at them that isn’t reaching or being churlish for the sake of it. Sometimes you just have say fair fucks because it is beyond unprecedented.

I’ve accepted 49 is probably going to go. Just lose a fucking game though, Christ.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 24-02-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    With 11 games to go Liverpool now have more points than we won the league with in 1998.
    Same amount of wins as the Invincible's now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The traditional top sides haven’t been great but then that is always levelled at teams who run away with the title. I suppose how great Liverpool are depends on what they do in the coming years but they’re already CL winners and dominating a league like no one ever has in the history of football.

I’m not sure you can sensibly level anything at them that isn’t reaching or being churlish for the sake of it. Sometimes you just have say fair fucks because it is beyond unprecedented.

I’ve accepted 49 is probably going to go. Just lose a fucking game though, Christ.
    Liverpool are an amazing size, two CL finals in the last 2 seasons and they won 1, a league title now after coming 2nd with 97 points last season, they're already one of the best sides ever, their record this season is phenomenal, they've only dropped 2 points!

They are already better than the invincibles as they have won the CL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of statistics it looks like they're going to end up top of the heap, possibly with a couple of unassailable records in there too. And deserved because they are the closest I've seen in a long while to a proper football team that plays the game how it's supposed to be played. Or, the opposite of Barcelona and City, if you prefer.

But in overall footballing terms they're not close to Wenger's best teams. Or Ferguson's. Or Paisley's, IMO. Liverpool might seem invincible today, but you had to suffer Liverpool of the 80s to know genuine despair before a match kicked off. The record books say they lost a few, but I can never remember that actually happening. At least it seemed that way. Apart from that one day where it was up for grabs now, but they were on the downslope by then.

What's current gets glamorised. Teams from a couple of decades back, playing this Liverpool team by the rules that applied then, would destroy them (and every other modern day team). Can you see pimped up, handbag toting, lady boys like Sterling or Neymar last 5 minutes in a real football match? Anyone remember Alan Shearer? He wouldn't get a single goal under these rules because you aren't allowed to knock the defender stone cold on every challenge.

Football has changed, almost exclusively for the worse. Comparing a modern team to those of the past is like comparing that fat turd who won the other night to the real heavyweights of yesterday.
    Für eure Sicherheit