User Tag List

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do about the league season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think you know which one.
    But given that

(Source https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...straught-again)

I’m going to say that one.
    The dude admittedly was not convicted, but still.
    It's one of those growing number of issues where you can't look at all the facts because it offends people. Instead it's blanketed in the politics and the narrative gets written on that basis. Anyone sensible has a fair idea that cause and the consequences were not down to one individual. Common sense will give you that much. But that's the conclusion that makes most people most comfortable so the acceptable facts are retained, the unacceptable ones become unmentionable and history is manufactured accordingly.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first time in 30 years, Liverpool are the champions of England. We knew that already and it looks now as though the coronavirus has confirmed it before mathematics could.

The idea that the season should be void is little more than a malign fantasy peddled by those trying to weaponise a pandemic to stop a rival team and its supporters claiming what is rightfully theirs.
    Oliver Holt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-pandemic.html

Seriously, weaponise a pandemic. It's a pandemic, how much more serious do you need it do be?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It's one of those growing number of issues where you can't look at all the facts because it offends people.
    I would rather hope the inquest did that

Anyone sensible has a fair idea that cause and the consequences were not down to one individual.
    It’s a bit harsh to pin it entirely on him, agreed.
    I don’t for one minute believe that the Liverpool fans were all politely queuing.
    Football fans, particularly in groups, are idiots. I don’t for one minute Liverpool have a monopoly on that.
    Anyone sensible knows that opening a gate which allows thousands of them to push into an already crowded stand in an era when fences mean the fans at the front have nowhere to go is probably a bad idea.

My dad tells stories of being in crushes back in the day where he could pretty much take his feet off the ground and not fall over such was the crush from either side. Quite honestly it’s amazing that these incidents didn’t happen far more regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of those growing number of issues where you can't look at all the facts because it offends people. Instead it's blanketed in the politics and the narrative gets written on that basis. Anyone sensible has a fair idea that cause and the consequences were not down to one individual. Common sense will give you that much. But that's the conclusion that makes most people most comfortable so the acceptable facts are retained, the unacceptable ones become unmentionable and history is manufactured accordingly.
    Yes, well put.

I admit i was exaggerating and Hillsborough wasn't in the same league as Heysel of course, a lot of different people got a lot wrong on the day, but the portrayal of it is definitely missing some important nuance...
    Last edited by Mac76; 15-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Oliver Holt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-pandemic.html

Seriously, weaponise a pandemic. It's a pandemic, how much more serious do you need it do be?
    Oliver Holt is, was and always will be sub-human slime.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I would rather hope the inquest did that

It’s a bit harsh to pin it entirely on him, agreed.
    I don’t for one minute believe that the Liverpool fans were all politely queuing.
    Football fans, particularly in groups, are idiots. I don’t for one minute Liverpool have a monopoly on that.
    Anyone sensible knows that opening a gate which allows thousands of them to push into an already crowded stand in an era when fences mean the fans at the front have nowhere to go is probably a bad idea.

My dad tells stories of being in crushes back in the day where he could pretty much take his feet off the ground and not fall over such was the crush from either side. Quite honestly it’s amazing that these incidents didn’t happen far more regularly.
    Regardless of the mass conditioning that has apologised for the behaviour of certain (and by no means all or even many) fans on that day, at least a good number of those responsible know what they did. Chances are they wouldn't do it again. They have to live with it, silently, even though everything has been manipulated to ensure they don't have to be accountable for their actions. The dangerous ones are those who have used the cover-up to literally convince themselves they did nothing wrong. They will learn no lessons and could even do it again.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest rumour I heard was that they would call the season as it stands, with Liverpool champs, Leeds and West Brom promoted, but no one relegated - 22 teams next year with 5 up for relegation, then back to 20 the season after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Latest rumour I heard was that they would call the season as it stands, with Liverpool champs, Leeds and West Brom promoted, but no one relegated - 22 teams next year with 5 up for relegation, then back to 20 the season after.
    Which means they'd make more cash from more games next year? They always find a way, don't they?

#profitFromCoronaVirus
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which means they'd make more cash from more games next year? They always find a way, don't they?

#profitFromCoronaVirus
    Just be grateful there was no mention of the championship playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think my Pools Panel idea was the best. Apart from the fact we'd be relegated.
    Für eure Sicherheit