Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Sky News on YT is fine.
    Well, it's still Sky News.

I do miss Sarah-Jane Mee on Sky Sports News though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    True

Had a look at his IMDB profile and he never did much of note afterwards.
    Funny how that can happen when the other 3 all made it big in different ways.
    But he did play "Tony Driscoll" in OFAH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Well, it's still Sky News.

I do miss Sarah-Jane Mee on Sky Sports News though.
    By quality, I thought you meant how clear the picture was. Obviously in terms of actual quality...
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually referring to the quality of the videos from the persons asking the questions.

In other news, Macron extends their lockdown until at least 11th May.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Unpacking your misdirection and deceit, what you actual did was about as unscientific as it's possible to be.
    Well, I'll admit my initial graphs didn't adjust for populations but I fixed that. And I'll also admit that the adjusted graphs didn't quite show what I intended.
    But no, no deceit, simply a mistake. And when picked up on the population thing I adjusted my graphs. I'd be the first to admit I'm no expert in this sort of analysis. But I did at least attempt to look at trends over time and account for the fact that the virus started to spread later in the US than in Europe. All you did was look at a number, considered that numbers in other countries were worse and concluded that the US had done well because it wasn't the worst number around.
    My graphs back up the fact that it's not the worst number around, but they don't in any way indicate that it's a good number or that the US have done well.

You started with your conclusion (ORANGE MAN BAD), triggered by my casual mention that the US seemed to be doing quite well and handling the outbreak, among others. That was quite literally it, the comment that has sent you hurtling through this farce. I hadn't even mentioned the Orange Man, as far as I recall
    No, I started with a slight incredulity that you could look at what's going on in the US and think they're doing "quite well".
    I do think ORANGE MAN BAD but at times I think he's done some things right in all this. But after weeks of saying that it's all going to go away and he's doing a great job it looks like the things he's done are too late. He is not unique in that, we have made the same mistakes - you yourself have expressed incredulity at how long it took to close certain things down here. And it's not all down to Trump, different governors have made different policies around social distancing and things being shut down, that hasn't helped.

That's how easy it is to trigger you.
    I'll leave as an exercise for the reader to consider the irony of you saying this when you've just written a long post about how horrid I am.
    But yeah, I'm the triggered one

You then concocted an unscientific method by which to "prove" your conclusion, and then you published your spurious result in a graph.
    At no time did you specify the characteristics of the samples you were comparing, nor did you add form of context.
    For the sake or brevity I won't quote all the rest of this section of your rant but I was very clear about what I was comparing.
    It was simplistic, but I made an attempt to look at trends over time - you did not. And I made an attempt to account for the fact that the virus started spreading later in the US than it did in Europe - you did not. You just looked at a number, or that's all you said you were looking at.
    So while I did make a mistake by not accounting for population - again, I adjusted for that once that was picked up on - I tried to do something a bit better than "Oh look, Norwich are doing worse than Arsenal so Arsenal must be doing quite well" - that's the logical equivalent of what you did.

So OK, you got me, my simplistic analysis was intended to show that the US had done worse than Italy and when adjusted for population I'll concede I was wrong. But that does NOT mean that the US has done "quite well" any more than Norwich being bottom of the paused league table means Arsenal have done "quite well" because we are not bottom.

And then you got your shovel and started digging deeper and deeper into the snow, only pausing occasionally to gloat over the death toll in the UK.
    Why are you repeating this lie? I have already clarified this but once more for the hard of thinking, simply reporting figures from the UK or the US or any other country is not the same as gloating about them. I may have mocked your assertion that the US has done "quite well" but I am not the least bit pleased that they demonstrably have not. I wish they had competent leadership, but they do not. And that will cost lives, as it will here and in many other countries.

The US currently have the highest number of cases in the world and the highest number of deaths.
    Their deaths per million is 11th in the world (ignoring places like Andorra whose tiny populations skew things).
    So they're not the worst, but it doesn't shout at me that they've done "quite well". I saw something earlier about how Russia immediately shut down the border with China when China first started reporting cases. The result is their current death rate per million is 1, compared with 70 for the US and 167 here.
    For balance, in the last couple of days the new cases and deaths has fallen in the US so it does look like the measures they have put in place are starting to have an effect. But just because other countries have done worse I can't agree that they've done "quite well".

Meanwhile, Easter came and went with you, the virtuous Christian, spending your time politicking and trying to prevail in a fuck-up of you own making. No prayers for the dead, no moments of reflection, no mention of your religion at all. Which is fine. Maybe it's a private thing.
    For the record, we don't pray for the dead. That's the Catholics you're thinking of. And what I pray for is a private matter although obviously I've been praying about this situation and even for Johnson (sorry, Mac79, it worked!). Obviously I'm not going to mention my religion in this thread and I generally don't mention it on here at all - if people are genuinely interested then I'll engage but from experience most people want to take the piss or have an argument about it which I'm not interested in.

But I found it odd for you to be pulling out all the stops during a religious festival to maximise the suffering of others for some perceived political gain that surely is insignificant anyway?
    Pulling out all the stops? Maximise the suffering of others? What on earth are you talking about? Again, the idea that I am "gloating" about the numbers is entirely in your imagination. I have poked a bit of fun in your direction about your assertion that the US have done "quite well". I just don't see the numbers back that up or that any facts are accumulating to back up your position.

I don't know why you felt the need to bring up the Wenger thing. I did explain this at the time but I just felt that after years of things getting really toxic in the stadium and particularly on here it made sense, in my view, when Wenger finally did leave and the dust had settled to draw a line under all that and keep the Arsenal section more positive.
    I once again suggest you consider the irony of accusing me of having a "hissy fit" when you spent weeks abusing and baiting me - which I didn't react to - until you were finally banned (not by me, it was pretty much at your own request). I was pretty clear on here that I'd welcome you back any time, I don't know if you saw that and I had no other way of contacting you.
    All I did was move some posts and create a new thread. Why are you lying about being censored? No posts were deleted, the thread they were moved to is literally in your sig. You got in a strop about the thread title - which was a quirk of how this forum works when you create a new thread. I offered you the opportunity to choose a new title and you refused.

And yes, I will defend Wenger against nonsense as I always have.
    You spent 2 years saying that Wenger was so bad that "literally anyone" would do better. Emery's first season showed some improvement and promise, his second was a fiasco till he was sacked and when things started going south before he was sacked you started arguing that of course he had no way of doing better because of the mess Wenger left us in. Ignoring the fact that the season after Wenger left we finished 5th and got to the Europa League final.
    It's a complete contradiction to what you'd spent the previous couple of years saying but hey, FRENCH MAN BAD.

You do have a habit of believing contradictory things, I'm not sure you know you're doing it but I think it's wrapped up in the conspiracy theory mindset you have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone catch Microsoft's Easter message? It has been taken down now, maybe because of the wide revulsion it caused, maybe because it was specific to Easter. A glimpse of what's behind the mask, metaphorically and literally speaking.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further proof that our Leave-fanatic government should be tried for manslaughter...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-bulk-buy-ppe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Further proof that our Leave-fanatic government should be tried for manslaughter...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-bulk-buy-ppe
    European doctors and nurses are preparing to receive the first of €1.5bn (£1.3bn) worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) within days or a maximum of two weeks
    So they missed nothing. This is all still tied up in procurements along with those ventilators we supposedly missed out on too. The EU aid package is also tied up, last I heard. And the in-fighting is fierce. Last week's news being recycled and re-spun by the opportunistic marxists at the Guardian.

And down towards the end of the article, the truth emerges.

The EU procurement scheme has not been entirely successful, however. While deliveries of masks, gowns and gloves will be made in tranches over the next two to 18 weeks, the procurement of ventilators will be slow, according to a leaked EU document.

“Companies indicated long delivery times, from 10 to 52 weeks,” the commission warned member states of the £690m purchase.
    But that's because the Guardian is bog roll. Bet its circulation has gone through the roof following the shortages.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More proof of government incompetence

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...essly-21861239

I can't wait for the official inquiry into the government's handling of this afterwards, i hope it's televised, it'll be compulsive viewing