Page 124 of 707 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I guess that’s true but it’s a nice feel good story and right now we could do with a few of those.
    Well a decent story might be - COVID19 death toll nowhere near what has been reported. Wouldn't that make people feel better?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    @ letters - Sure, ok - it's actually £3m by the way
    So are you hoping this guy eventually hits the billions required to get a proper system up and running?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People always want to be black and white about things. It helps the mind put things in perspective, almost as protection against the unknown. What those in control of the media are able to do, just like successful advertising campaigns, is play with any quote, source, statistic or stance, and turn it in which ever way suits the agenda of those who control the feed

What we should be doing, and all we can do, is use the information available to us to form our own opinion. I don’t necessarily agree with everything NQ says, but I do understand that it’s on is to do the work to understand what is actually happening out there, and not spreading what is already heavily de-sensitised, edited or agenda twisted reporting.

We all know the media spins things on both sides of the political spectrum, yet we still persist in using the headlines as fact, whichever way seems appropriate as to how we feel comfortable processing in our own minds. Whether that’s because of political reasoning, or whether it makes It easier to process, depends how your mind works.

This crisis is actually very revealing about all sorts of things. For me, there is no political divide on this, unless of course you want to push an agenda. This crisis is all about managing a completely new virus, to save people’s lives and protect the future livelihood’s of all that go after.

Death occurs every day for many different reasons. My own view, is based on a couple of reasonably obvious facts.

Firstly, this virus spreads very easily. This means that the rate at which people become infected is dramatically altered from the usual seasonal viruses. Things like flu still put the NHS under strain every winter, because the effect of flu on the vulnerable and elderly, and this leads to complications and sadly deaths.

The difference here, is that if you alter the ease of transmission with no vaccine, you change the level of people needing hospital treatment, which obviously affects our health service, the knock on effect being higher death rates etc etc.

So, we go into lockdown, to stop the transmission to make sure people don’t die. I don’t see what more you can do at this point, given that is what the entire world seems to think too.

The numbers? Well, my belief is that you have to have something to work on. In the UK we seem (IMO) to have based our death/infection rates on what is easiest to track, ie hospital numbers (which seems sensible). Not for the benefit of the death counters and front pages, but to see a reasonable trend, under which those in charge can make decisions based on “the curve”.

Different countries will use different methods to produce their own curve. Which is why you can’t easily compare. The death toll, whilst tragic, are meaningless if there is no standard to go on.

One thing for sure, is that we’re in this for the long run. And the longer the economy is starved, the quicker people suffer, not directly from the virus, but from the effects of it on our day to day wellbeing.

I don’t envy the people making decisions on so many variables and unknowns. Ultimately, we’re all reliant on a vaccine, so it’s damage limitation until then. Who Laura Kuenssberg wants to stick her ego into next is neither here nor there.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Still a man hears what he want to hear and disregards the rest. Lie, lie, lie , lie."

Why would anyone trust anything that these people tell you. A discerning mind is the only real freedom anyone has these days, try not to lose it. Peoples stupidity is the one thing governments around the world take for granted. It's the basis of the establishment we live in.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what makes me laugh is the irony of all the Sun-reading 'take back control' / No-one Tells Us What To Do (TM) lot dutifully err, doing what they're told to do and religiously obeying the lockdown - apparently the government never thought it would be this well observed (despite wall-to-wall government ads telling people to stay at home) and are really worried about having fucked the economy

it's what happens when you have people who gain power by lying and soundbites who are obsessed with ignoring the EU and attacking services such as the NHS and the BBC (which are now apparently 'essential')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seriously how stupid can people be ?

i said it before but this really is the equivalent of burning witches, we really are descending into a medieval society ruled by superstition

and of course its all thanks to our pro-leave fake-news lying government and lying newpapers - they're now reaping what they sowed - what a shame it's once again ordinary people who pay the price not those c***s in government

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ngale-hospital

(and NQ yes it's a Guardian article but this REALLY HAPPENED AND IS NOT LEFT-WING FAKE NEWS ok? )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what makes me laugh is the irony of all the Sun-reading 'take back control' / No-one Tells Us What To Do (TM) lot dutifully err, doing what they're told to do and religiously obeying the lockdown
    Hmm. I think you're a bit off on this one.
    I was and still am an ardent Remainer but I think you're somewhat misrepresenting the Leavers.

I was briefly swayed by the sovereignty argument before realising that we are sovereign - any control we ceded to the EU, which wasn't as much as was portrayed by the ardent Leavers, we chose to cede and we could choose to take back. We had to write a letter to leave, not go to war, even if the process of disentangling ourselves was complicated.

But the argument was never that "we don't want anyone telling us what to do", it was "we don't want all them foreigners telling us what to do".
    Which they weren't of course, but still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I think you're a bit off on this one.
    I was and still am an ardent Remainer but I think you're somewhat misrepresenting the Leavers.

I was briefly swayed by the sovereignty argument before realising that we are sovereign - any control we ceded to the EU, which wasn't as much as was portrayed by the ardent Leavers, we chose to cede and we could choose to take back. We had to write a letter to leave, not go to war, even if the process of disentangling ourselves was complicated.

But the argument was never that "we don't want anyone telling us what to do", it was "we don't want all them foreigners telling us what to do".
    Which they weren't of course, but still.
    well it's an extension of the same thing - the same mentality that if anyone points out that people should waste less food, petrol, plastic etc because of the environment or eat more healthily or stop revving loud engines in a quiet area because it really f*****g pisses people off, they're being 'told what to do'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it's an extension of the same thing - the same mentality that if anyone points out that people should waste less food, petrol, plastic etc because of the environment or eat more healthily or stop revving loud engines in a quiet area because it really f*****g pisses people off, they're being 'told what to do'
    There is that mentality, but it's amplified if they perceive that the people who are "telling them what to do" are JOHNNY FOREIGNERS!
    Because historically it was the other way around, I guess. Which is obviously fine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is that mentality, but it's amplified if they perceive that the people who are "telling them what to do" are JOHNNY FOREIGNERS!
    Because historically it was the other way around, I guess. Which is obviously fine!
    yes, true