User Tag List

Page 28 of 707 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128528 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    The figures are coming from the Department of Health, not the media.
    I don't dispute the figures nor what's coming out of the Dept of Health. Just as I don't dispute figures coming out of the west in general. My issue is with the media and what and how it chooses to report and what it studiously avoids reporting. Now maybe they have been instructed to report in this manner, but I doubt it. We could have an informed populace or an ignorant one, huddled at home, waiting for the next instruction. The latter is far more dangerous than a pandemic, long term.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    There are so many levels of context required it's hard to wrap your head around them all. If it transpires the number of "excess deaths" is in line with those expected from annual influenza then that's still a big problem but it's a far smaller one than anticipated, in this country at least. And what's happening to patients with non-related conditions? Has the excess mortality rate for those diseases increased or is it being handled? We could end up with more deaths from non-related diseases and the wider effects of the damage being done to the economy.

So sure, the media wankfest on the death toll is expected, that's what those slime do best. But what about the information that's far more important, such as the current status of the NHS's ability to deal with the influx of patients? Can anyone pick those figures off the top of their heads like they can with the daily updated death toll? This peak, where are we along the line and how does that cross reference with the increased facilities and supplies being brought to bear? Far more useful in determining what's actually happening rather than sitting in the dark listening to 100, 200, 500, 1000 dead. Especially if the latter includes cases that would have occurred anyway without anyone bar the immediate friends and families noticing.

And these are just a few considerations from a growing list. A stream of questions, no answers other than a league table of death. Which might be acceptable for anyone who is happy to do as they are told, when they are told and for as long as they are told. But for those who want to know what's going on so they can make informed decisions it's not at all useful.
    Of course, it's just everyone following through the distorted lens of the media whilst somehow you are able to see through it all.

I don't mention anything about the media in my initial post about how many deaths there have been, yet you take the opportunity to do so; why?

We can all understand given what has happened in Italy and Spain that if the rate of deaths is going up then the extreme likelihood is the amount of cases are too, it doesn't need to be said in every single post to prove to you how nuanced and understanding we all are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, fuck off, Branson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52066640

Bail yourself out, you wanker. You are literally worth billions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    i guess that's the difference, i dont't really like routine, especially if that routine is travelling to work in the mornings, however i stay motivated because a) i'm into my work and b) i know if i don't get out of bed and get working i can't pay the bills...
    Yeah guess it’s whatever one is used to. I’ve commuted in and out of London practically all my working life so to me that is normal and I don’t mind it really. Doesn’t help having a wife on mat leave and a teething baby screaming the place down at home though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actively like commuting.
    I can understand why people don’t but it gives me a chance to read.
    And I like the office environment.
    I like having lunch with people.

I like the option to WAH but I don’t want it enforced on me for an extended period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Of course, it's just everyone following through the distorted lens of the media whilst somehow you are able to see through it all.

I don't mention anything about the media in my initial post about how many deaths there have been, yet you take the opportunity to do so; why?

We can all understand given what has happened in Italy and Spain that if the rate of deaths is going up then the extreme likelihood is the amount of cases are too, it doesn't need to be said in every single post to prove to you how nuanced and understanding we all are.
    Whoa there. Your comment simply acted as a catalyst for further commentary by me, taken beyond your comment and expanding to a related subject. That happens all the time in discussion. As I said before, I'm not disputing the numbers, I'm questioning the media's motivations and methods. I find the way they are shaping the message is repulsive and mostly uninformative. I suppose not really a landmark discovery, the media being self serving. But having an opinion and expressing it is another common trait in discussion.

EDIT: And if I pissed you off because you thought I was talking about YOU reporting the numbers then sorry about that, that wasn't the case or the intention.
    Last edited by Niall_Quinn; 28-03-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Also, fuck off, Branson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52066640

Bail yourself out, you wanker. You are literally worth billions
    What the government is offering is bespoke financial support on a case-by-case basis, but only once airlines have exhausted all other options. Ministers want to be sure that wealthy shareholders play their part.
    Who will be watching to ensure that actually happens? It's absolutely what should happen. Markets can go up as well as down - surely the shareholders are aware of that? And it would be surprising if any sensible pension fund had heavy investment in airlines.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 900 dead in Italy. 10,000+ overall now.

This doesn’t even seem real anymore tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Another 900 dead in Italy. 10,000+ overall now.

This doesn’t even seem real anymore tbh.

What's happening in Southern Italy is even more worrying. I hope other governments are paying very close attention and won't fuck around when it comes to getting financial support to the people who most need it before we start seeing the same.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

I like the option to WAAAAAAAH
    Indeed.