Page 573 of 707 FirstFirst ... 73473523563571572573574575583623673 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    You’re surely not suggesting there is something “weird” going on?
    Not really.
    I’m suggesting that the rules and guidelines are inconsistent.
    As they have been all along.
    Just before Christmas I was allowed to play football but not allowed to have a meal at a restaurant with my family. That seemed stupid, but it wasn’t part of a government plot against post bs and restaurants. The rules have been inconsistent throughout this but they have always changed as the data has.

What do you think is going on that’s weird?
    You implied that some of the freedoms we used to enjoy have gone for good. Could you elaborate?
    Already most things are open and in a couple of weeks things will be relaxed further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    It is a good way of saying “if we had worn masks….”
    No it isnt.

Masks are currently mandatory by law and infections are rising. Labour supported the latest unlocking on may 17th so they cant use the old “if only we had worn masks” line if july 19th goes wrong as infections are already rising.

The labour health secretary has said this week that any avoidable death is the goal. Well people are still dying of Covid although in much lower numbers thanks to the vaccine rollout but surely those deaths are “avoidable” in labour terms?

The only way to avoid those deaths is by lockdown. Not by keeping the current restrictions in place but by reversing them and going into lockdown again. That is the only way to avoid these deaths but that is not what labour are demanding. They are saying the july 19th easing is reckless on the basis that there will be no masks. That is not a credible response

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't avoid every death. The key thing is whether the vaccine has broken the link between cases and hospitalisations and deaths.
    The last data I saw indicated that it has so let's all go out to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You can't avoid every death. The key thing is whether the vaccine has broken the link between cases and hospitalisations and deaths.
    Of course you can’t.

There is a story in the papers today that New Zealand is struggling with high numbers of children suffering badly from other illnesses purely because their immune systems havent been exposed due to lockdown/social distancing etc. There is always a trade off. Save some lives from Covid but others will suffer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hasn't completely broken it, H&Ds still rise consistently with cases, but it has massively weakened it.

https://youtu.be/zjtlAGLqeGQ?t=448

Could be an important distinction, but as the guy says, the new cases are mostly among young people so it could be a case of the ones getting it being unvaccinated. That being the case, as the vaccines get rolled out more you'd expect that link to get weaker and weaker until it basically doesn't exist.

I haven't seen any stats on how many of the H&Ds are vaxxed vs unvaxxed, or the average ages, so that could be a good indication.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double jabbed Britons can avoid quarantine on returning from amber list countries form 19th july.

On its own a sensible policy as if you cant be normal after double jabbed then what’s the point?

However, its a deeply unfair policy given most under 30s will not be double jabbed (plus 2 weeks) until end of the summer. It’s another case of allowing the older generation to go back to normal while the young can’t despite the young giving up the most to protect the old.

Also on a day where its revealed teh state pension is likely to go up 8% but job losses are hitting the young the most, its not exactly levelling up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    It hasn't completely broken it, H&Ds still rise consistently with cases, but it has massively weakened it.
    But the shape of the graph id very different. Yes, there's a rise but it's not the same shape rise as it was over the winter. We're not seeing the exponential growth and hospitals being over-run, and we aren't seeing high numbers of deaths.
    Interestingly, was talking to a mate at the weekend and I said about the hospitals being full and my conversation with the ICU doctor. He noted that while the hospitals might have been full in large population centres (the ICU doctor is in Birmingham), in areas with lower population density they weren't that full. I haven't checked but he might be right. He was saying that it was stupid that people in small villages with very low risk and population density were subject to the same rules as big cities. He kinda has a point but it's hard to be too granular about the rules. They tried the tier thing of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    Double jabbed Britons can avoid quarantine on returning from amber list countries form 19th july.

On its own a sensible policy as if you cant be normal after double jabbed then what’s the point?

However, its a deeply unfair policy given most under 30s will not be double jabbed (plus 2 weeks) until end of the summer. It’s another case of allowing the older generation to go back to normal while the young can’t despite the young giving up the most to protect the old.

Also on a day where its revealed teh state pension is likely to go up 8% but job losses are hitting the young the most, its not exactly levelling up
    under 30s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GetJabbed/

Good resource for getting your 2nd jab outside the government strictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the shape of the graph id very different. Yes, there's a rise but it's not the same shape rise as it was over the winter. We're not seeing the exponential growth and hospitals being over-run, and we aren't seeing high numbers of deaths.
    Interestingly, was talking to a mate at the weekend and I said about the hospitals being full and my conversation with the ICU doctor. He noted that while the hospitals might have been full in large population centres (the ICU doctor is in Birmingham), in areas with lower population density they weren't that full. I haven't checked but he might be right. He was saying that it was stupid that people in small villages with very low risk and population density were subject to the same rules as big cities. He kinda has a point but it's hard to be too granular about the rules. They tried the tier thing of course.
    Oh yeah sure, just thought it was worth pointing out that the link isn't completely broken yet, and after the 19th we'll likely see a rise in H&Ds.