Page 577 of 707 FirstFirst ... 77477527567575576577578579587627677 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,770 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I have often said people will have to see jackboots stomping down the street and hear the front door being kicked in before they maybe, perhaps, get a hint that something about the relationship between the "servants" and the people is maybe, perhaps not as it should be.
    Yeah, you've said that on here. And I said that no, I don't need that. But for all the hand-wringing, none of this awful authoritarianism has had any effect on my day to day life that I've noticed. And don't forget you were the one prophesying the army on the streets and curfews. It never happened because, fundamentally, the government aren't as bothered about you or controlling you as you seem to think. Which doesn't mean they're bending over backwards to help you either, but they have no interest in your day to day life.

Anyway, if you need the obvious to be stated, one immediate and soon to be most pressing example that will affect your arse directly is inflation and the systematic devaluation of currency based methods of exchange. Taxation (a euphemism for theft) will be knocking louder too. Are these good enough examples to serve your unabashed selfishness?
    Well, they're good examples of things which could affect my life, but I don't know how that relates to the authoritarian regime you seem to think we have. Inflation and tax rates have always fluctuated over time and if the things you say do happen then they will be a consequence of the economic car crash we're left with because of the pandemic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Yeah, you've said that on here. And I said that no, I don't need that. But for all the hand-wringing, none of this awful authoritarianism has had any effect on my day to day life that I've noticed. And don't forget you were the one prophesying the army on the streets and curfews. It never happened because, fundamentally, the government aren't as bothered about you or controlling you as you seem to think. Which doesn't mean they're bending over backwards to help you either, but they have no interest in your day to day life.

Well, they're good examples of things which could affect my life, but I don't know how that relates to the authoritarian regime you seem to think we have. Inflation and tax rates have always fluctuated over time and if the things you say do happen then they will be a consequence of the economic car crash we're left with because of the pandemic.
    he wouldn't last five minutes under an authoritarian regime, it's only becuase this country is demonstrably not authoritarian that he can spout any amount of abusive offensive crap on here and get away with it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder how NQ reconciles those things - this authoritarian regime we apparently now live in with the freedom he has to post about what an authoritarian regime we now live in. Or the fact that well over a year ago he was declaring lockdown over as he observed people going about their day to day business without consequence. There's no doubt the last year has been a strange one, and he does have legitimate concerns about some of the legislation which has been passed in the last year whole no-one was looking (not that anyone is ever looking, really). But I don't believe it's going to affect my day to day life. The economic consequences may - in fact just today a mate told me he's being redundant because of how his organisation has suffered during the recession, so it will affect him. But we're not going to have our day to day freedoms curtailed, because the government don't have any desire to control that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two morons. I actually go to the trouble of explaining creeping authoritarianism and they respond that it's not fully installed so doesn't exist. No wonder it is so easy for bad people to prevail when equally bad people do nothing.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I actually go to the trouble of explaining creeping authoritarianism and they respond that it's not fully installed so doesn't exist.
    No. I respond that it's not at all installed, it isn't being installed and doesn't exist.
    And you, remember, were the one confidently predicting the army on the streets and curfews. It didn't happen, and it was never likely to happen because fundamentally the government have no desire to control people to the level you imagine. You do know this - you posted on here about lockdown being over, observing people going about their day to day life last year at the height of the first lockdown. What happened to those people? Did they all get rounded up and incarcerated?

So now your example of how it will affect my life is tax going up and inflation rising? I mean, that could happen as a consequence of the economic effect of the pandemic, but these things have always varied over time. Right now inflation and income tax are a lot lower than they've been at other points in history:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ation-rate-cpi
    https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/g...te-income-tax/

The income tax thing is offset by VAT I guess. But the point is the government have always adjusted tax levels to try and balance the books. What's that got to do with this authoritarian regime you suppose we live in while going about your day to day business as you please?

No wonder it is so easy for bad people to prevail when equally bad people do nothing.
    So we're bad people because we don't see things your way? Really?
    And what are you doing then? Apart from posting on here about it what, in practice, are you actually doing and what do you think I should be doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I respond that it's not at all installed, it isn't being installed and doesn't exist.
    And you, remember, were the one confidently predicting the army on the streets and curfews. It didn't happen, and it was never likely to happen because fundamentally the government have no desire to control people to the level you imagine. You do know this - you posted on here about lockdown being over, observing people going about their day to day life last year at the height of the first lockdown. What happened to those people? Did they all get rounded up and incarcerated?

So now your example of how it will affect my life is tax going up and inflation rising? I mean, that could happen as a consequence of the economic effect of the pandemic, but these things have always varied over time. Right now inflation and income tax are a lot lower than they've been at other points in history:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ation-rate-cpi
    https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/g...te-income-tax/

The income tax thing is offset by VAT I guess. But the point is the government have always adjusted tax levels to try and balance the books. What's that got to do with this authoritarian regime you suppose we live in while going about your day to day business as you please?

So we're bad people because we don't see things your way? Really?
    And what are you doing then? Apart from posting on here about it what, in practice, are you actually doing and what do you think I should be doing?
    You can't be helped and you are not prepared to help others. By your own words.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another non answer
    What are you doing to help others?
    What should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutters
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another non answer
    What are you doing to help others?
    What should I do?
    Either set your sights high, work like the clappers and play the game or stick, and hope that the you make enough hay before it’s too late
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick, thanks.