Page 588 of 707 FirstFirst ... 88488538578586587588589590598638688 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    For a lot of deaf people, English isn't their first language, BSL (or whatever the local sign language is) is.

She's had to claim some personal impact to get the judgement, but it is right that people get the briefings in their native language IMO.
    BSL is surely a representation of English, as is spoken and written English.
    You’re telling me deaf people don’t learn to read? That’s got to be bullshit.

Edit: And their native language. So anyone who lives here but is from a non English speaking country is entitled to a translation or it affects their rights? Good luck going to France and claiming you’re oppressed because nothing is in English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    BSL is surely a representation of English, as is spoken and written English.
    Common misconception, but not actually true. What you're talking about does exist, but BSL isn't it. American Sign Language, for example, is as unrelated to BSL as English is to Chinese.

You’re telling me deaf people don’t learn to read? That’s got to be bullshit.
    They do, but in English, which isn't their native language. It'd be like having all programmes in Chinese subtitled in French (you speak French don't you? ).

Edit: And their native language. So anyone who lives here but is from a non English speaking country is entitled to a translation or it affects their rights? Good luck going to France and claiming you’re oppressed because nothing is in English.
    No, but people who are from here should have things like this in their native language. There were briefings in Welsh, for example.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    They do, but in English, which isn't their native language. It'd be like having all programmes in Chinese subtitled in French (you speak French don't you? ).
    Come on, dude, that's a bullshit analogy. Chinese and French don't even use the same written form.
    I'm struggling to believe this lady doesn't read and write English perfectly fluently.
    I'm partly annoyed at this because OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD, but I do find it wearying how quick some people are to play the victim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought all government briefings shown on bbc news channel had sign language?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I thought all government briefings shown on bbc news channel had sign language?
    yes you're right

basically this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, dude, that's a bullshit analogy. Chinese and French don't even use the same written form.
    BSL has no written form. Well, people have tried to come up with written forms for sign languages over the years, but none that have been widely adopted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SignWriting

Also, I'm not sure how that's relevant anyway because in my analogy, the Chinese would be spoken, not written, and you'd understand as much as a deaf person would in spoken English (lip-reading aside). The French would be written in the same alphabet as English.

I'm struggling to believe this lady doesn't read and write English perfectly fluently.
    There are deaf people out there who can't.

This lady may or may not be able to, but she's acting on behalf of those who can't.

There's an interesting discussion on this topic here: https://old.reddit.com/r/deaf/commen...f_person_isnt/

I'm partly annoyed at this because OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD, but I do find it wearying how quick some people are to play the victim.
    As I said, I suspect she has to play the personal angle because she's filing a personal suit, I doubt that's her full intention.
    Last edited by WMUG; 29-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must admit I'd never thought of BSL as a different language from English.
    I'm learn-ding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must admit I'd never thought of BSL as a different language from English.
    I'm learn-ding.
    Yeah, I learned a bit at uni a while back and the grammar is completely different.

If you ask somebody's name, you have to sign "Name your what?"

It's also an Object-Subject-Verb language, so instead of "the man kicked the ball", it's more like "ball man kick".

It's actually a little more complicated than that because most of the time it actually uses topic-comment structure, but I don't fully understand that and, you know,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

Well, basically, they should just learn to hear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

Well, basically, they should just learn to hear
    It's just laziness tbh
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.