1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awful band
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Awful band

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awful band
    The lead guitarist has a great name.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58030125

Re: no.1

No way!!!!!!!!!
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No surprise really,it's where people go where they're ill, enclosed space, lots of toing and froing etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they meant 4 in 4. But because it's become so obvious they'll allow us 1 in 4.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen to this carefully. I mean, not the leftie tools who try to distract you, but anyone else who wants to know what direction we are heading in. There are no nations any more. Just the agenda. And it crosses most borders, almost all of them except the notable exceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_oS6uAKqM

We aren't in lockstep across the board, but eventually it will all align.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Listen to this carefully. I mean, not the leftie tools who try to distract you, but anyone else who wants to know what direction we are heading in. There are no nations any more. Just the agenda. And it crosses most borders, almost all of them except the notable exceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_oS6uAKqM

We aren't in lockstep across the board, but eventually it will all align.
    Well at least your prediction of military being on the streets came true.

Well half true, wrong country but still

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a strange video and I’m not clear what point NQ thinks it’s making.
    The bloke describes himself as an “independent journalist”. I mean, firstly there’s no such thing - we all have our biases and our world view and that colours the sorts of things we read and how we interpret them. And secondly, his “journalism” seems to be referencing various mainstream news sources (notably The Daily Mail) while at one point declaring the media dead. Well…which is it? If you’re referencing them then you obviously believe those articles, isn’t that a pretty mainstream source?

NQ’s prophecy was that we would have troops on the streets. He said there would be curfews which would require checkpoints. “Your papers please” were his exact words. None of that happened. The restrictions have consistently followed the data. And our government have never felt the need to be too draconian about it all. Now there’s nothing wrong with getting predictions wrong. None of us knows what’s going to happen for sure. But the rational thing to do when the things you predicted don’t happen is surely to consider that maybe your foresight is not as 20:20 as you thought. Instead NQ finds a video which in part notes that Australia are deploying troops. I don’t know how to react to that other than to shrug. Australia is, famously, a different country. And they have handled things differently to us. They have locked down quicker and harder than we have when outbreaks have occurred. And you could argue that they’ve got it right. They’ve had fewer than 1000 deaths. Even accounting for the population difference that is orders of magnitude better than us. But of course lockdowns have consequences. So sure, they haven’t had the deaths we have, but the consequences of these repeated lockdowns on the economy and people’s mental health might well be worse.

But the point is both governments - all governments globally - have been dealing with “a situation”.
    One which they weren’t prepared for and which there’s no rule book for. The last major pandemic on this scale was over a century ago and medicine has moved on enough that the response then shouldn’t necessarily be the response now. Plus that pandemic killed 50 million people in a much smaller world population, so they obviously didn’t get it right either.

This is going to be in the history books and there will be decades of analysis about what happened, which countries got it right and which ones didn’t. Are more deaths in the short term better than the long term effects of hard lockdowns which save lives in the short term but have serious long term effects? These are not trivial decisions to make.

I don’t know if we are getting it right. I think they’ve got some things right like the furlough scheme and the vaccine rollout. The lockdowns have come too late though and have had enough exceptions to render them ineffective. But the point is, this IS a response to a situation, not a lurch into authoritarianism. My evidence for that, as it has been all along, is:

1) Every country in the world, more or less, has restricted people’s liberties in an unprecedented way, no matter what the prevailing politics. Has every country decided to lurch towards authoritarianism at the same time?
    2) Every country in the world has changed those restrictions as the situation and data in that country has changed. So clearly they’re responding to something.

Right now pretty much all restrictions have lifted. I’m pretty sure that there will be restrictions in the autumn. I doubt it will be full lockdown again but it depends on the data. I doubt we’ll see the army on the streets here or curfews or checkpoints.