Page 630 of 707 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640680 ... LastLast
Results 6,291 to 6,300 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    There is a clear difference between flexible working and mandatory working at home.

Flexible working is a good thing, there are benefits to being in office & also time at home which as you say saves on commuting time, more time with family etc. However, while in the city, the busiest days are Tuesday - Thursday, flexible working does mean most places are open all week. This means restaurants, pubs, shops are all trading and yes footfall might be lower on a Monday or Friday but htey are still trading. It also means jobs such as receptionists remain as offices are usually open every day.

Mandatory working at home which some are calling for is a different ball game. While i can work at home with little impact on my work (albeit being in the city makes life easier) there will be a major impact on the shops, bars, restaurants etc as no one will be there to use them. Receptionists, security guards etc will all struggle as well as many were furloughed during the work from home period. So if people are forced to work at home again for a period of time, many industries will suffer. Those restaurants & shops lose that footfall, people will lose jobs as businesses close.

Doubtful that furlough will come back so you cant have a country where for the winter, we just shut down vast swathes of buisnesses and expect things to be ok. There are huge consequences to a decision like that.
    You can’t and shouldn’t adapt working practices to support ancillary businesses reliant on a pattern of behaviour.

Those businesses should adapt to meet the demands of new and adapting behaviours. It’s like saying we still need to travel by horse and carriage because horseless carriages are going to kill off business for blacksmiths.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhaka Can’t View Post
    You can’t and shouldn’t adapt working practices to support ancillary businesses reliant on a pattern of behaviour.

Those businesses should adapt to meet the demands of new and adapting behaviours. It’s like saying we still need to travel by horse and carriage because horseless carriages are going to kill off business for blacksmiths.
    As i said above, changing city centres etc is a long term change, it’ll take time to adapt. You cant just close them down effectively tomorrow & expect things to be ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary is basically right, business has always had to adapt to survive.
    People lament the “death of the high street”, but supermarkets are objectively more convenient than having to go to a butcher and baker and greengrocer and so on.
    And now for many things Amazon wins. We ordered the boy some shoes yesterday, they arrived today and were probably cheaper than had we gone to a shop.
    I’ve related on here before the time I got a camera from Amazon, it never arrived. Basically I reckon the driver stole it, there was some nonsense about leaving it with a neighbour but I was in at the time the supposed delivery was made and the neighbour wasn’t.
    Anyway, I had a grumble, they refunded me and gave me a voucher as a “soz”.
    I thought “sod Amazon”, went to a shop and found the same camera. It was about £50 more expensive and when I told the guy the online price he said he couldn’t match it so I bought it from Amazon again and this time it arrived
    Sure, Bezos exploits people to make it all worked and I should care about that more than I do. But like most people, the convenience wins. No one is holding a gun to people’s heads and demanding they use supermarkets or Amazon, the market decides.

I do agree with Ollie that the pandemic has been a shock to certain industries and the footfall in central London might not return. These changes are usually more gradual. But businesses will have to adapt. The solution is not to enforce a certain way of working on people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a lot of NHS staff might get the chop because they are stupid enough to believe in pre-2020 biology. Or maybe they just don't agree with the state dictating what's injected into their bodies - I mean how is this even a discussion? Seems a bit silly to get rid of medical staff during the worst pandemic in the history of the universe. But government knows best. I think I'll just bury my head and pretend this is all sane.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not a new thing that people working in the heath sector are required to have certain vaccinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not a new thing that people working in the heath sector are required to have certain vaccinations.
    You know you are a wanker. Right?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Looks like a lot of NHS staff might get the chop because they are stupid enough to believe in pre-2020 biology. Or maybe they just don't agree with the state dictating what's injected into their bodies - I mean how is this even a discussion? Seems a bit silly to get rid of medical staff during the worst pandemic in the history of the universe. But government knows best. I think I'll just bury my head and pretend this is all sane.
    Last years heroes, this years unemployed.

You mean vaccines that have been fully trialled and around for decades? You mean vaccines that were around before the CDC changed the definition of a vaccine? Ones that actually provide immunity, not, as Boris said the other day, ones that still allow you to catch and spread the disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Fauchi is responsible for covid. Beyond a reasonable doubt, tons of evidence, all that, blah, and the leftists will blame it on Trump. The usual stuff.

But now Fachi did bad stuff to puppies. OMG! People are horrified.

I think it's time to kill most people. It's long overdue and it's 100% fair.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    Last years heroes, this years unemployed.

You mean vaccines that have been fully trialled and around for decades? You mean vaccines that were around before the CDC changed the definition of a vaccine? Ones that actually provide immunity, not, as Boris said the other day, ones that still allow you to catch and spread the disease.
    Look on the bright side. Once everyone has been sacked the vaccine uptake in the medical profession will be 101%. Which is definitely proof of something.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at these disgraceful white-supremacist antivax Trumpers

Oh wait...