Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Yes, you seeded your lie
    What lie?

"Not on my street", probably doesn't ring a bell for you? There's no tyranny because you are "allowed" to go clubbing? It's just Australia, part of the British Commonwealth?
    There's no tyranny because under no sensible definition of the word would our government fit into it.
    You actually commended our government for trying to balance liberty with the dealing of the pandemic. Boris may be many things but a tyrant isn't one of them.
    Whatever the relationship between Australia and the UK we have separate governments who have handled this situation in very different ways.

the question remains, why are you applying caveats or even affording consideration to naked authoritarianism? What sort of person does that?
    Right, so if you're talking about the Australian response to the pandemic I have dealt with this at more length elsewhere.
    TL;DR - I don't approve if their handling of it.
    I don't particularly approve of our government's either, but we have at least erred on the side of liberty. That has been at the cost of lives and I think they should have taken quicker action at times, but overall they've tried to balance the necessity of dealing with the pandemic with respecting people's liberty.

But the underlying point is that all these measures are temporary and designed to deal with a situation. The proof of that is that the measures have consistently changed as the data has.
    I don't believe for one minute that there is any long term strategy to stop people going about their daily business. Why would there be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    What lie?

There's no tyranny because under no sensible definition of the word would our government fit into it.
    You actually commended our government for trying to balance liberty with the dealing of the pandemic. Boris may be many things but a tyrant isn't one of them.
    Whatever the relationship between Australia and the UK we have separate governments who have handled this situation in very different ways.

Right, so if you're talking about the Australian response to the pandemic I have dealt with this at more length elsewhere.
    I don't particularly approve of our government's either, but we have at least erred on the side of liberty. That has been at the cost of lives and I think they should have taken quicker action at times, but overall they've tried to balance the necessity of dealing with the pandemic with respecting people's liberty.

But the underlying point is that all these measures are temporary and designed to deal with a situation. The proof of that is that the measures have consistently changed as the data has.
    I don't believe for one minute that there is any long term strategy to stop people going about their daily business. Why would there be?
    erred on the side of liberty?

remember this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

This is the one restriction that pissed me off the most, thankfully I was out the country when it happened but my biggest fear is they'll do it again when I'm not.

They have absolutely no right to prevent you leaving the country if you don't like how things are here. After all has that not always been a go to argument "if you don't like it leave"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post

This is the one restriction that pissed me off the most, thankfully I was out the country when it happened but my biggest fear is they'll do it again when I'm not.

They have absolutely no right to prevent you leaving the country if you don't like how things are here. After all has that not always been a go to argument "if you don't like it leave"?
    That's fair.
    I don't agree with some of their restrictions, and sure we can argue about whether they've got things right.
    But the argument you're making is that they're doing this because they want to control us. If that's so then why isn't that restriction still in place? A mate of mine just got back from a week in Spain, I've seen quite a few FB friends posting photos from foreign holidays this year. The restrictions have varied as the data has. Sure, they've got things wrong. And sure, this situation has been used be some people to make a lot of money. But it's a real stretch to suggest it's part of a slide into a totalitarian regime when right now literally everything is open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I see Nicola sturgeon as well as the welsh government are wanting to completely destroy the travel industry.

Calling for enforced isolation until day 8 rather than until result of day 2 PCR test.

It’s complete bollocks. Scotland has cases already which are apparently not linked to people being abroad but also, this new variant is in Australia which quite literally shut its borders and yet still the new variant got in.
    Sturgeon is a tyrant, she has enjoyed this more than most of the other cunts. She's absolutely revelling in the power and won't let it go easily. As you said some of the cases are not linked to travel at all, this thing is here and will spread, let it. Further restrictions at the border are pointless and do far more harm than good.

This is also not to mention that the Dr. who "discovered" omicron says the symptoms are mild and it's really not anything to worry about, this isn't being reported much https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2ID0H4 the MSM are focusing on "mays" and "coulds" etc propagating fear.

Also I think most of these cases have been in vaxxed people but they're doubling down, it's now more important to get your booster open to everyone.

Of course logic won't stop them interfering with people lives.

Does seem more people are starting to wake up and not falling for this crap anymore though, which is a positive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is also not to mention that the Dr. who "discovered" omicron says the symptoms are mild and it's really not anything to worry about, this isn't being reported much https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2ID0H4 the MSM are focusing on "mays" and "coulds" etc propagating fear.
    To be fair I saw that story about the doctor saying it's mild on the BBC. And reuters aren't exactly niche.
    I kinda agree that the hysterical headlines tend to dominate though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair I saw that story about the doctor saying it's mild on the BBC. And reuters aren't exactly niche.
    I kinda agree that the hysterical headlines tend to dominate though.
    I didn't say they weren't reporting it but it's fairly buried they're all leading with fear based stories, when really this should be promoted to balance things and keep some calm but they're not interested in balance or calm, fear sells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    This is the problem, you cannot book with any certainty.

We have postponed until end of feb so fingers crossed we can go then
    I’m going to Iceland (the country) on Thursday….I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving the country has never been an issue - its the coming back part that was the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What lie?

Didn't say you approved of it. I said you were apologising for it, applying caveats and affording consideration to it. I can play the same game. I strongly disapprove of Jews being gassed in ovens, but the housing shortage in war ravaged Germany was alleviated as a result. Only those detached, both physically and ethically, from such extreme abuse could be so inhumane to find a silver lining. Assuming they aren't psychopaths or sociopaths to begin with.

Or, just as you inanely cackle at things that have not yet occurred, imagine back a year, imagine being told army snatch teams would soon be forcing civilians into detention camps. In a western nation. In a time of peace. I can see the lavish smilies chasing unshakable confidence drenched in scorn.

And as each stone is placed upon the next, one by one, your certainty grows. All is well. It's just a temporary atrocity. It'll all be back to normal any time soon. Hopefully before the next scheduled world's end.

Gullible? Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Subservient? With pride.

Evil? Hard to be certain, but it's better than the only other explanation.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Didn't say you approved of it. I said you were apologising for it, applying caveats and affording consideration to it. I can play the same game. I strongly disapprove of Jews being gassed in ovens, but the housing shortage in war ravaged Germany was alleviated as a result. Only those detached, both physically and ethically, from such extreme abuse could be so inhumane to find a silver lining. Assuming they aren't psychopaths or sociopaths to begin with.
    Right. And I have explained why there is no comparison between the Holocaust and what is going on in Australia right now.
    The former has no nuance, there is no silver lining to or justification for a policy which was designed to exterminate a race of people.
    What is the point of the policies in Australia? What is the motive? It's clearly designed to deal with the pandemic. Is it the right way of dealing with it? I'd say no. But I'd also suggest that it's not possible to deal with this situation without some restriction on people's civil liberties. Well, unless you do literally nothing, but looking at the what happened in hospitals and the death stats, that doesn't feel like the right option.

Or, just as you inanely cackle at things that have not yet occurred
    I'm commenting on things which you said would occur.
    Haven't occurred.
    And won't occur.
    Let's not forget you said these things were "not far off". That was over a year ago.

I've even explained why you were wrong about these things. It's because your underlying assumption/world view - a vague paranoia and feeling that "they" are out to control us - is wrong.

imagine back a year, imagine being told army snatch teams would soon be forcing civilians into detention camps. In a western nation. In a time of peace. I can see the lavish smilies chasing unshakable confidence drenched in scorn.
    Sure. And imagine two years ago being told we could be fined for visiting our family. That pubs would be closed. That churches would be too. That we would only be "allowed" out of our homes for very specific reasons. That we weren't allowed to hug people.
    I agree, it's unthinkable.
    Either every country in the world has at the same time implemented an authoritarian regime or maybe...they were all dealing with the same situation.
    And as that that situation has changed in each country then so the response has. That isn't an opinion, it's what has happened.

And as each stone is placed upon the next, one by one, your certainty grows. All is well. It's just a temporary atrocity. It'll all be back to normal any time soon.
    The weird thing about you is that every restriction has been rolled back in the UK, as the situation allowed it to be, your certainty has grown.
    The exact opposite of what you predicted has happened - you predicted increasing restrictions on our lives, there are increasingly few. Since June it's basically been business as usual. And yet you become increasingly entrenched in your position that you were right all along.
    It's cognitive dissonance 101.