User Tag List

Page 29 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Fine. I agree the context is relevant. Someone approaching a black person in the street and aggressively asking this is very different from asking as part of a friendly conversation with someone you're just getting to know. I'm doubtful the former is what she's talking about.
    You asked the doctor because he had an accent, which is clearly just polite curiosity. That woman is saying she was asked even though she was born and raised here and presumably has a British accent. Why would anyone care about her ethnic origin? As far as I’m concerned she is as British as you or me. Which is her point.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 15-06-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand the question about why anyone would care.
    100 years ago - no black people in this country.
    Now - lots of black people in this country
    So yeah, she is British and maybe her parents are but her family came from somewhere, and probably only 1 or 2 generations ago.
    And maybe that is also true for a lot of white people, it's just more self evident for a black person or someone with a thick accent so those people are more likely to be asked.
    Why would anyone care about anything about anyone? It's just natural curiosity to want to know about people.
    It's the presumption that the question is motivated by racism rather than curiosity which I'm not buying into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't dream of asking a black British person where they're from. It just plays in to the narrative that they aren't really British that Gammon like Nick Ferrari likes to perpetuate.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't phrase it like that, if they have a British accent then I'd assume they're from Britain.
    I might ask where their family originates from for the same reason I might ask a person with an accent or a person with an unusual surname.
    Wouldn't be my opening gambit with anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno man. Accent is one thing because it’s about location. A black person or anyone of ethnicity could have been brought up anywhere in the world.

Not sure why their family origin would arouse any curiosity though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. I'm going to concede that asking a black person with a British accent where they're from (emphasis added, because of that wording) is inappropriate. If they have an accent though, or if a person (whatever race) has an accent or unusual name then that might pique my curiosity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've asked, "what's your background?" before, when the conversation turned to ethnicity. It went fine once, the other one got a bit defensive and said "I'm just British", at which point I didn't press the issue.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Right. I'm going to concede that asking a black person with a British accent where they're from (emphasis added, because of that wording) is inappropriate. If they have an accent though, or if a person (whatever race) has an accent or unusual name then that might pique my curiosity.
    I guess you'd prefer to rely on your own character and motivation to decide whether you were being racist or not. It might even seem as if you'd be the best person to judge that. But we now must realise, that's not the case. Other people you don't know and have never had any contact with have decided on your behalf. You're racist, I'm afraid. Because of your skin colour.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whose fault is that?

i'd say the Leavers who deliberately preached prejudice and division during the leave campaign, which led to schoolchildrren being told to 'go home' in the playground.

if the other side ends up getting defensive because of it then i for one can hardly blame them