User Tag List

Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    If anyone looks at this advert and your first thought is why are they black? That is really bizarre.
    It's not so bizarre if you accept this country has a real problem with racism.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone looks at this advert and your first thought is why are they black? That is really bizarre.
    Agreed.
    But it does feel at times like companies are falling over themselves to over-represent minorities in the sake of diversity.
    Not just race.
    Finished watching The Umbrella Academy recently and slightly rolled my eyes when Vanya - who had a boyfriend in Season 1 - suddenly falls for some woman she meets in the past. One of the others is already gay so that's 2 out of 7, which seems a bit statistically unlikely.
    And in Schitt's Creek David meets some bloke who has a fiancee but of course secretly he's the "only gay in the village" in small town USA.

It's not a major issue but companies are falling over themselves to be "woke". Sign of the times I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're in danger of missing the really important issues.

NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that but there are a few generations now of ethnic minorities who identify as British, as far as I’m concerned these people are as British as me or any other white British person, why shouldn’t they be represented? The advert is of an obviously Black British family celebrating Christmas - if they really wanted to be super woke they would have included foreign accents and all sorts.

Plus the advert is one of three parts, that will include whites too.
    I don't have any problem with it. I don't watch TV, I don't shop at Sainsburys or go out of my way to watch their adverts. Suspect 99.999% of people couldn't care less either. It's the steady diet of non-stop virtue signalling from corporations and organisations like BLM that keeps drawing attention to peoples differences.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It's not the Christmas advert in isolation though, is it? It's the non-stop culture war on TV, online, in print, in sport, everywhere. This is primarily and historically a white, Christian nation yet ethnic minorities are habitually overrepresented in most social aspects. I guess some people are fed up with it and it's not at all surprising. I wouldn't have planted a flag on this particular hill, but maybe older people who remember traditional Britain and are looking forward to Christmas, after a year of being told they are going to die, see this virtue signalling shit flashed up and think FFS, give it a break for five minutes.
    Thought you would bite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Agreed.
    But it does feel at times like companies are falling over themselves to over-represent minorities in the sake of diversity.
    Not just race.
    Finished watching The Umbrella Academy recently and slightly rolled my eyes when Vanya - who had a boyfriend in Season 1 - suddenly falls for some woman she meets in the past. One of the others is already gay so that's 2 out of 7, which seems a bit statistically unlikely.
    And in Schitt's Creek David meets some bloke who has a fiancee but of course secretly he's the "only gay in the village" in small town USA.

It's not a major issue but companies are falling over themselves to be "woke". Sign of the times I guess.
    I think the bigger issue us "Minorities / Blacks / Ethnics" have is why we are not represented more in senior / upper management positions in companies such as Sainsburys etc

Being included in adverts for Christmas isn't really helping race relations, it's actually quite insulting given the timing of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I think the bigger issue us "Minorities / Blacks / Ethnics" have is why we are not represented more in senior / upper management positions in companies such as Sainsburys etc

Being included in adverts for Christmas isn't really helping race relations, it's actually quite insulting given the timing of it.
    Do you think that's just about race and racism? Isn't classism and old boys network a factor here?
    Let's face it, Boris Johnson hasn't got the roles he's had on merit, he's an old Etonian and that opens a lot of doors.
    I'm not saying racism is fixed now but I'd suggest things are better than they were, but any progress takes a generation to trickle up into the most senior positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought you would bite
    Oh, that's the aim is it? I'll bear that in mind for the future.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is historically a white, Christian nation. Logically this is reflected in the establishment power structure. It has taken working class people and women centuries to achieve a degree of representation. I wonder why blacks and ethnic minorities believe they are entitled to a fast track?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    This is historically a white, Christian nation. Logically this is reflected in the establishment power structure. It has taken working class people and women centuries to achieve a degree of representation. I wonder why blacks and ethnic minorities believe they are entitled to a fast track?
    Perhaps because they might think we learnt from those other examples and can now recognise discrimination when we see see it...?