User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Wolves (away)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel Mustafi is playing for his future and he’s certainly putting in a good case for himself. Xhaka has actually been quite consistent for a long time now and is by far and away our best centre midfielder, granted it isn’t saying much because of our lack of options, but quite a turnaround after the incident with the fans none the less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unai Tea View Post
    I wonder if our 4th win in a row will mean a thread about a win gets past 3 pages. Generally losses here lead to 7-10 pages of moaning, negativity and recrimination. Wins generally pass without much comment.

Arteta is doing a great job and he's been a breath of fresh air. He's not a magician but things are finally moving in a positive direction.
    I think Arteta’s doing a great job considering what he has to work with, which is basically bits and pieces of a side - been quietly impressed with how he keeps finding uses for problem players, and ways to limit exposing their weaknesses.

It’s not exactly sexy football - probably won’t be until he starts building his own side out - and we’re probably going to get schooled a few more times along the way because, frankly, there’s some much better sides than us in the league right now. But I’ll be happy for the rest of this season if we can keep getting wins in the games that we stand a fair chance in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unai Tea View Post
    I wonder if our 4th win in a row will mean a thread about a win gets past 3 pages. Generally losses here lead to 7-10 pages of moaning, negativity and recrimination. Wins generally pass without much comment.

Arteta is doing a great job and he's been a breath of fresh air. He's not a magician but things are finally moving in a positive direction.
    I imagine our whiner in chief will be in Zimbernation till the next loss...

Good result today, wasn't expecting that. As usual on here, people were writing Arteta off after the 2 losses when we resumed.
    We are a million miles away from the top 2 but no-one else is that much better than us if at all. Arteta's done enough to get a transfer window and a full season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone would think we won at the etihad the way you're talking, wolves had enough set-pieces and moves on goal to have scored more than once, but lucky for us they were utter trash whenever they got anywhere near our penalty area, they'd be relegated if they played like that every week

Good take from saka and one or two good moves but still not that great really, i think we can maybe overtake wolves but we won't catch any of the other top six teams

So it's the EL again for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just beginning to feel like amidst the wreckage and detritus of this season, and probably the last few, we have some pieces which, if you look hard enough, could become a decent team. There is a nice cadre of young up and coming players, a world class striker, a couple good keepers, and some players who have been re-purposed, recycled and re-invented. On top of that, I think we have a young, bright and talented manager who has a plan, has an ability to communicate that plan, and has been resolute in focussing on building something, rather than patching things up and floating around to different ideas and different principles based on expediency.

Green shoots of promise only at this stage. We still need to add 3-4 high quality players (maybe Saliba is one of them), and ship out 3-4 players who are dragging us down. Then time and hard work should slowly allow us to work our way back to respectability. I think Arteta is doing what needs to be done on the pitch and on the practice field. My biggest concern is the backroom - can they step up and recruit well, manage our contracts more effectively, and generally, give Arteta the ammunition he needs to implement his plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta is a good manager. It’s clear he has given the team a shape and we’re starting to make it harder for the other team.

However, you can only do so much with some of the crap we have on the pitch.

Kolasniac and Cedric were appalling yesterday. Can’t pass, can’t defend.

The passing in general was absolute dogshit. To play posession football with any potency, you need to be able to move the ball quickly and with forward momentum. Our lot mostly pass backwards and sideways, with too many errors costing possession.

It’s easy for the opposition to break up play where square passes are the norm. We lack the brains to carry out the instruction.

Saka, Willock and Tierney are class. They give loads of hope...fingers crossed we can shift a few players for cash and reinvest in players who can make Artetas vision reality.

Green shoots
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I’m not sure beautiful, possession football is even on the agenda this year? If you listen to his interviews, I think Arteta knows full well that he’s working with a limited set of attributes here (both technical and physical), and it looks like he’s come up with a plan to simply get us through this season that should be within this group’s capabilities: work hard, stay organised and hope we still have enough quality up top to put away the chances that come our way.

I think the main goal for the second half of this season was to re-establish professional standards and culture, and I’m really glad he’s starting to see the rewards for that in the results. It’s meant sacrificing some talented players when they’ve not been putting in the effort, and that’s meant we haven’t always been able to pick our (on-paper) best XI, but I’m really glad he’s stuck to his guns and not gone crawling back to problem players, cap in hand, when we’ve been desperate - it’s left us with a group that have all ‘bought in’, and are at least giving their best effort, even if they don’t always have the quality to beat some opponents.

And look, there’s going to be games like Brighton along the way - we’re battling 10 years of gradual decline under Wenger here, on top of the absolute ruination that was Emery, so there’s going to be days where we regress - progress is never perfectly linear. And Arteta himself is still a rookie - I actually rate his coaching ability higher than a lot of his direct rivals, but he’s unquestionably still got a lot to learn about in-game management, which might cost us at times. I’m ok with that, though - realistically, we’re looking at a 3-5 year project here, so we’ve got time for him to pick these things up as the team grows around him.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 05-07-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll settle for an improvement in standards, culture and functionality. Creatively we don’t have much to offer right now, every game we win can only be described as functional, but hopefully that comes in time.

This season was always going to be disposable. Next year should be the making of Arteta, if he’s good enough of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a slight twist of the dial for more tempo in the play - that would make a huge difference and bring out the best in players like Auba. Slow and plodding all over the pitch means players who have a little bit more in them than the basic square pass have to generate momentum themselves from a standing start, rather than latch on to it and use their edge in talent to waste the defender. We know we can up the tempo if we need to, we know we score goals when we do it. But it's such a rarity, once and if we're very lucky, twice, a game. Otherwise, tap, tap, tap, and constant probing - but sideways.

What's with the continued use of the ruinous tactic that sees the keeper pass short to a player on the edge of the box who is immediately under pressure? Why would we ever do that, and why do we continue to do it?
    Für eure Sicherheit