User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trump

4 15.38%
  • Biden

22 84.62%
Page 78 of 267 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US General Election

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    Seeing a lot of people here in the UK going about how in a democracy, every vote must be counted & results of said vote be respected. People like David Lammy & Ed Davey have been very vocal on this.

Funny how they don’t believe that every vote should be respected if they disagree with the result like brexit. Then you must have another vote until they get the result they want
    False equivalence logical fallacies

There's a pretty clear difference between a general election which results in a government and a referendum on a particular topic.
    Obviously opinion on all issues shifts over time but in the interests of stability you can't have a general election every time there's indication opinion has changed.
    When it comes to a referendum which yields a close result and leads to a big direction change for a country, there is a case for a second vote IF that direction change hasn't happened yet AND there's indication that public mood has changed since the original vote. Obviously ideally the direction change would happen immediately after the vote, it's partly the fact it all rumbled on so long - which gives a long time for public mood to shift - led to the disquiet.

So this really isn't the gotcha you think it is. Different situations. Farage himself said a 52/48 split to Remain would be "unfinished business".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    False equivalence logical fallacies

There's a pretty clear difference between a general election which results in a government and a referendum on a particular topic.
    Obviously opinion on all issues shifts over time but in the interests of stability you can't have a general election every time there's indication opinion has changed.
    When it comes to a referendum which yields a close result and leads to a big direction change for a country, there is a case for a second vote IF that direction change hasn't happened yet AND there's indication that public mood has changed since the original vote. Obviously ideally the direction change would happen immediately after the vote, it's partly the fact it all rumbled on so long - which gives a long time for public mood to shift - led to the disquiet.

So this really isn't the gotcha you think it is. Different situations. Farage himself said a 52/48 split to Remain would be "unfinished business".

I do agree with your post. I know what farage said and honestly, i think there should have been a second referendum when it became clear that no one had a fucking clue what to do. The final straw for me was when parliament was given the chance to vote on a whole load of options and those cretins couldn’t even find something they all agreed on.

However, the politicians who have demanded that trump respect the vote etc were very quick out of the blocks (some even on 24th June 2016) demanding a second vote. You can hardly argue public mood shifted four hours after a vote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you, though? Can we see them then? And I'd be interested to know your sources... Trump might not understand this but I'm sure you do - if you make a claim then the burden of proof is on you. Anyone can claim anything, it's not unreasonable to ask for evidence to back up claims.
    What about the Russians? For 4 years? Now nobody can find evidence of election fraud? Well not on the BBC, or social media. But we've been talking about that for a while.

All that's happening here is slimy officials on the payroll in all the usual places freezing time to prevent a certain outcome. Now we'll have to wait until some time in December to start the clock again. And undoubtedly you'll keep on saying there's no evidence, even when you know there is. That's why I stuck a couple of flies in the water for you to quickly snap up, which you duly obliged. There's no fraud, but you're scanning reports of fraud to find the fact check responses? LOL. Dear me, Letters.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, the politicians who have demanded that trump respect the vote etc were very quick out of the blocks (some even on 24th June 2016) demanding a second vote. You can hardly argue public mood shifted four hours after a vote!
    Yes, that's fair.

In other news, this amused me.
    Trump supporters shouting "Stop the count" or "Count the votes" in different states depending on how things are going

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    All that's happening here is slimy officials on the payroll in all the usual places freezing time to prevent a certain outcome.
    Great. Now all you have to do is present your evidence. I note you have continued to fail to do so. In your own time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Now all you have to do is present your evidence. I note you have continued to fail to do so. In your own time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the American system barking mad in that you can elect a president yet they dont take office for three months whereas here, as soon as the result is known, the old PM is booted out and new one takes over.

In normal times, most presidents will work with the president elect over the next three months but trump isn’t normal. He’ll either resign so Pence pardon him & his family etc or he’s going to start a war isn’t he?
    There is a good reason for that. In the UK, you have a Civil Service that prepares for and facilitates the change in administration. UK Civil Servants are duty bound to serve the Government of the day. At a senior level, the machinery of government has permanent secretaries that head each of the Departments,serving the Ministerial teams appointed by the PM.

In the US, appointments at that level are political, so it takes pretty much all that time to facilitate the transition.

Fuck knows how this transition will go.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biden takes the lead in Pennsylvania

https://newsthump.com/2020/11/06/don...esident-again/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's up for grabs now!

Biden! Right at the end!
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    It's up for grabs now!

Biden! Right at the end!
    Trump is down, Pence is down, NQ just stands there
    Jerad's on his knees, Eric's on his knees.
    Suddenly it was Biden bursting through. The votes fell his way.
    And we have the most dramatic finish possibly in the history of US elections