User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Liverpool (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do they, though? I mean, maybe, but is this a stat Arteta focuses on?
    No. In fact he's been quite clear in highlighting the huge gulf in quality between us and the teams above us (I can't even call them our rivals atm) that will need to be closed before we can think about that kind of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do they, though? I mean, maybe, but is this a stat Arteta focuses on?
    No. Arteta plays Xhaka every game because he's the best midfielder we've got.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We parked the bus, plain and simple. Second half was painful viewing, but we got the job done. This was more luck than executing a decent game plan.

The gap between us and the likes of Liverpool and City is huge, we have a lot of work to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    We also play 343 with wingbacks for the same reason - because we're light on central midfielders and ACMs, but heavy on wide players. I don't suppose for one minute that it's actually Arteta's preferred system, but for now it's a good fit for what we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    We parked the bus, plain and simple. Second half was painful viewing, but we got the job done. This was more luck than executing a decent game plan.

The gap between us and the likes of Liverpool and City is huge, we have a lot of work to do.

Park the bus and hope there's enough quality up top to keep knicking goals - that's basically where we are right now.

Tbf, I do think there's some pragmatic planning going on there - I don't think it's nothing but blind luck - but yeah, it's not exactly pretty and it's not particularly clever stuff. Basically Mourinho football, but with shitter players.

Still, is there really much point in pushing this bunch to try and play like fast, complex possession football yet? We lack too many attributes for it, and I'm not convinced a lot of them are even fit enough to play that way, so it would just be a giant mess. For now, we've given them a task that's within their ability to achieve and that's restoring a bit of pride and confidence - that'll do for now, and should see us through these last couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic...?
    Xhaka has played well since the Arteta took over.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xhaka’s game has certainly improved. For starters, he passes it forward and has been finding attackers in good positions. That coupled with a lethal shot and steady improvement, could bode well.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xhaka doesn't make stupid mistakes leading to goals as much, so that's an improvement. I also agree that his passing has improved a bit.

Still don't think he's good enough. High up the list of players that need to be replaced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Good win definitely and I guess a confidence boost, but it's not really indicative of where we are, the defeat by Spurs in the NLD was more so because even though it was pretty meaningless in terms of achieving something, it was a derby and thus a game you want to win.
    I don’t think any individual game tells you where you are.
    The season as a whole does that and I think we know where we are which is a million miles away from really competing.
    It was refreshing to hear Arteta admit as much after the game. I like what Arteta says and while he hasn’t performed miracles did you really expect him to with our squad?
    My only concern is whether he is taking is in the right direction. Few tentative signs that he might be.
    We’ll know more next season.