User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Partey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Apparently Athletico are furious at the late move. Excellent stuff.
    If only we’d given them loads of other options earlier in the window to choose from. Oh well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said by others, this is as near as we are gonna get to actually replacing Paddy so to speak. Partey really reminds me of Michael Essien though in the way he gets up and down the pitch, the pace, power, dribbling.

If he is able to replicate his Atletico form over the past 3 seasons for us, then we have a bonafide World Class player on our hands, he is definitely in the top 5 box to box midfielders in world football for me. It's a massive signing for us, our biggest since Auba, though I'd go as far as to say as big as the Ozil and Sanchez captures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably his most standout / elite trait is his ability to carry the ball - he has a ridiculously high dribble completion rate for his role, and (apparently) as of June last season only Thiago Alcantara had attempted over 50 take-ons with a higher success rate in Europe’s top 5 leagues. Combine that trait with his deeper starting point in midfield and it makes him very effective at beating the press and breaking lines.

I’d also argue that the fact that he does so many other things well (if not to quite the same elite-level as his carrying) is itself an elite trait? Not too many midfielders out there offer such a complete package, and that all-round skillset gives you a lot of in-game tactical flexibility, and opens up a lot of different midfield combos, which was probably a big selling point for Arteta. (He’s also said to be a very intelligent footballer, and adept at executing tactical plans, which, again, Mickey will love.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think this was a critical signing for unlocking the rest of the team. Potentially transformative.

Straightaway, I think we could now play 2 at the back with Partey sat in front of them.

Which gives us the extra man in midfield to add creativity.

Which should also mean our CF won’t have to keep dropping back quite so much to get involved in the build up, and that our wingers (esp. Pepe) will have someone to play give-and-goes with.

I also think we may be able to ditch the double pivot in midfield with Partey there, which means we might even end up with two more offensive / creative midfielders at times?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's Vieira that's great. If not then sell him, he's shit.

If he can receive the ball from the timid back four and - instead of taking three touches, running 2 yards left, running two yards right, gesturing for teammates to get forward, then playing it backwards regardless - take the fucking thing and progress it up the pitch and find Auba or Pepe or the racist pig Laca (or pretty much anybody beyond the halfway line) with an accurate pass, I'm sold.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The blood spatter really suits him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got to be honest, i'd be feeling more optimistic about him if i was confident Arteta would play in the right place with the right team around him.

i get this feeling he'll end up being on the bench at least part of the time or played out of position or something

for that money you'd think he get a regular start, but Arteta doesn't seem to stick with the good players always - i hope I'm wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he plays Saturday. Will be stupid, stupid, stupid if he doesn't. Isn't this why we've bought him, as an improvement on the shite already here? So why wouldn't he play?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He only moved to the country 6 days ago, and has only met / trained with his new manager and team mates a couple of times?

Not saying he definitely won’t play today, but would it really be that ridiculous if he didn’t?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one burst toward the end was encouraging. Powerful direct run. Just what we need.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.