User Tag List

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Non home grown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    When I talk about optics I mean how it looks. And how it looks is that they are driving trucks of money up to Ozil's house and to Atletico Madrid to get Partey while shitting on the little man, the man who has quietly worked for the club for decades and whose salary is trivial compared with the amounts they're spunking elsewhere. You do make a good point about his redundancy pay, he might actually have done pretty well out of this but people are fed up of these prima-donna, here today, gone tomorrow footballers getting obscene amounts of money. Especially when they're not fit to lace the boots of some of our best players. It just feels increasingly like clubs have lost any connection with their fans or the "common man", we identify a lot more with the Gunnersaurus dude than we do these mercenary footballers. So when we see him getting shafted (again, I agree he might not have been, but that's how it looks) then it doesn't come across well. At best doing it on the same day was tone deaf.

From what I understand Ozil asked for certain assurances before agreeing a pay cut. What are the club going to do with that money? Are they going to assure that none of the non-playing staff will get made redundant? Arsenal refused to give those assurances so Ozil told them to get stuffed. People are disillusioned with Ozil but they're disillusioned with lots of things in the modern game. Arsenal have not covered themselves in glory with any of this.
    So you are talking about perception? How it looked to the blind man?

Without the finer details...of which some points I have raised such as redundancy payouts I think it's a discussion / debate that is a moot point.

As I have said on numerous occasions, he may not have actually been shafted! He may be financially better off and don't forget he will be coming back into his role once things get back to normal, so essentially he has been temporarily relieved of his duties.
    Last edited by selassie; 16-10-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Pretty much agree with much of this , still doubt he did that well out of redundancy knowing Arsenal, I think they'd pay what they have to, it seems to be how the club operates these days, or at least it's the impression they give!

Also think regarding the pay cut that Ozil was right to make a stand, the cost cuts should have been used to protect jobs, not to go in someone elses back pocket, I think footballers are overpaid but after all the club agreed to this so if they ask them to take a pay cut in a time like this they're entitled to ask that the money be spent in the appropriate way.
    Until you have the facts it's a conversation based on opinion! It's irrelevant!

P.S. The players have no rights whatsoever in regards to asking or directing the club to spend the money in the way they want. It's not how things work mate.
    Last edited by selassie; 16-10-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    As I have said on numerous occasions, he may not have actually been shafted! He may be financially better off.
    And I've agreed.
    But what's the headline going to be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    And I've agreed.
    But what's the headline going to be?
    Classic politician response from Letters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justice for Dinosaur One!
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Justice for Dinosaur One!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are talking about perception? How it looked to the blind man?

Without the finer details...of which some points I have raised such as redundancy payouts I think it's a discussion / debate that is a moot point.

As I have said on numerous occasions, he may not have actually been shafted! He may be financially better off and don't forget he will be coming back into his role once things get back to normal, so essentially he has been temporarily relieved of his duties.
    We're never going to know the facts though, but generally speaking redundancy is something people prefer to avoid on the whole.

Well Arsenal wanted him to take a pay cut, they had no right to ask that either as he's contracted to be paid a certain amount, but they did, he wanted to make sure if he did it went to what he deemed the right people, they wouldn't assure him this so he didn't take a pay cut, he's 100% entitled to ask where the money from his pay cut will go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    We're never going to know the facts though, but generally speaking redundancy is something people prefer to avoid on the whole.

Well Arsenal wanted him to take a pay cut, they had no right to ask that either as he's contracted to be paid a certain amount, but they did, he wanted to make sure if he did it went to what he deemed the right people, they wouldn't assure him this so he didn't take a pay cut, he's 100% entitled to ask where the money from his pay cut will go.
    Just because people prefer redundancy doesn't make it a bad thing based on some of the examples I have given.

If it was pretty obvious why Arsenal asked the players to take a paycut?! FFS we are going through a Global Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because people prefer redundancy doesn't make it a bad thing based on some of the examples I have given.

If it was pretty obvious why Arsenal asked the players to take a paycut?! FFS we are going through a Global Pandemic
    Let's be honest, Arsenal are owned by a billionaire, he doesn't need the players to take a paycut or indeed for people to lose job, he could easily cover it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Arsenal struggling . On top of that Arsenal went out and spent 45 million on a player, that doesn't sound like a club struggling for money to me, so yes we are in a global pandemic but we needn't be so ruthless.

As it happens I think players maybe should have taken a pay cut, but to help others, not if it means others losing their jobs, but as I said Kroenke could easily take the hit if he so wished.

The no fans in stadium thing is kinda karma for Arsenal really, they took fans turning up for granted for years and charged them sky high prices, kinda ironic they now can't have any fans really, the club didn't develop the other areas of revenue as much as they could as the gate receipts were so high, very shortsighted really.
    Last edited by Özim; 16-10-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a difference though. If the pay cut was so some bankster could get his monthly pound of flesh, or the share price could be propped up for the loyal shareholders, that's a bit different than using the cash to essentially keep the club intact, including the support staff who aren't on the big cash. Indeed, even gathering up all the cash from these overpaid hoofers, it's a piss in a bucket in terms of doing much outside the confines of the club. The only place it could be really effective is to ensure lower paid staff didn't lose their jobs. I'm with Ozil on this. Make sure the money will be used properly.

That's as far as my support for Ozil goes though. He should be on the pitch, adding the creativity we so desperately need. And whether it's mostly his fault, or the club's fault this isn't happening, it's outrageous nonetheless. Heads need to be knocked together and people need to be reminded it's about sport and excellence and competition. Unless it's not.
    Für eure Sicherheit