Thread: Wenger- my team is not defensively weak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wenger- my team is not defensively weak

OH FFS!!!!

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsène Wenger insists Arsenal are not defensively weak but admits his side do need to tighten up on set-pieces this season.A number of defenders have been linked with a move to Emirates Stadium this summer but Carl Jenkinson is the only addition to Wenger’s squad so far.The Frenchman believes the players he has at his disposal have enough quality but he appreciates that improvements need to be made. “I don’t think we are weak defensively but we are an offensive team,” said Wenger. “Sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams.“I believe we have quality defenders. One is Thomas Vermaelen and he did not play last year.“In open play, we were one of the better defences [last season] but we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”

Could the men in the white coats please stand by!!!
    Last edited by Fats; 14-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet again, he says something that makes sense with valid points but he knows this is just going to give the media something to throw at him so why bother? A bit of self-awareness with what he says could go a long way to helping keep the knuckle-draggers off the back of the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's gonna get lynched.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    technically he may not be wrong on a number of points.........as he admits an area of concern were goals allowed at set pieces

what people are going to jump on is the fact that he mentions nothing about bringing anyone in to help in this department but at the same time nor does mention that he is not thinking of bringing someone in..........

I agree Verms coming back is going to be a boost but not enough of one as this problem is not only confined to last year.........I do believe Wenger has an idea about what is to be done and we will see recruitments of defensive personnel, what we cant be sure about is that those recruits take the form of a Cahill or another Squacli

Best to sit tight and wait and see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forgot to add that Wenge has to be the most annoying person on Gods earth

heaven above, can only wonder how his parents put up with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    By Giuseppe MuroArsène Wenger insists Arsenal are not defensively weak but admits his side do need to tighten up on set-pieces this season.A number of defenders have been linked with a move to Emirates Stadium this summer but Carl Jenkinson is the only addition to Wenger’s squad so far.Oh ffs!!!!!!!The Frenchman believes the players he has at his disposal have enough quality but he appreciates that improvements need to be made. “I don’t think we are weak defensively but we are an offensive team,” said Wenger. “Sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams.“I believe we have quality defenders. One is Thomas Vermaelen and he did not play last year.“In open play, we were one of the better defences [last season] but we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”
    I've just seen the article on Arsenal.Com

I suppose that's his way of saying that he might not buy a new Centre Back. I basically think he's identified the players he wants and has made moves but can't get the players for the prices he wants to get them for I.E. on the cheap.

We go through this every single season with Arsene, at the end of every season after our annual collapse he acknowledges we have a defensive problem and says that he will buy new Defender then nothing happens.

Arsene says "I don't think we are weak defensively we are an offensive team, sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams" What does this mean?

I hope he's not trying to say because we attack more than anybody else it's fine for us to conceed more goals!
    Manchester United & Chelsea are attacking teams but don't seem to have problems defending set pieces.

We've had the same set piece problems for around 3 or 4 seasons now, what is he doing to try and resolve them? O

Honestly...I despair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Japan Shaking All Over View Post
    forgot to add that Wenge has to be the most annoying person on Gods earth

heaven above, can only wonder how his parents put up with

Mummy Wenger: "Arsene, eat the rest of your dinner!!"

AW: "Err, no. I am in a waiting period. My eating get's done later in the day. I will only eat super super quality food"

Mummy: "But you're looking so thin and gaunt"

AW: "Everybody thinks they have the healthiest son at home"
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Well, most of what he says is right IMO. Our defenders are not bad players but we do concede goals in silly ways, far too many set pieces.
    Basically he's not far off but he's cited defensive problems previously and not sorted it out so I'm skeptical as to whether he will this time.

As ever the headline picks out the most nonsensical part of what he said and ignores the bits he said which are spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I've just seen the article on Arsenal.Com

I suppose that's his way of saying that he might not buy a new Centre Back. I basically think he's identified the players he wants and has made moves but can't get the players for the prices he wants to get them for I.E. on the cheap.

We go through this every single season with Arsene, at the end of every season after our annual collapse he acknowledges we have a defensive problem and says that he will buy new Defender then nothing happens.

Arsene says "I don't think we are weak defensively we are an offensive team, sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams" What does this mean?

I hope he's not trying to say because we attack more than anybody else it's fine for us to conceed more goals!
    Manchester United & Chelsea are attacking teams but don't seem to have problems defending set pieces.

We've had the same set piece problems for around 3 or 4 seasons now, what is he doing to try and resolve them? O

Honestly...I despair.
    Tbf, he did buy two defenders and shipped out 3 last season so he is changing things it just didn't work last summer as it just isn't enough to bring in a few more defenders (except for Samba, he can defend set-pieces by himself), we need more height and organisation/determination at set-pieces in the entire team rather than a few guys who have to do it all themselves, ofc the organisation is pretty much his problem so he's made that bed to lie in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post

Mummy Wenger: "Arsene, eat the rest of your dinner!!"

AW: "Err, no. I am in a waiting period. My eating get's done later in the day. I will only eat super super quality food"

Mummy: "But you're looking so thin and gaunt"

AW: "Everybody thinks they have the healthiest son at home"
    Mummy: But you will waste away if you dont get any good into your system

AW: Would rather waste away, than waste any money on quality food that could help me become strong and fit

Mummy: Dont you want to become like your little brother who has recently grown bigger and stronger than you?

AW: Hmmmmmmm! wonder where he got his food from? I am sure that he has a secret benifactor............

to be continued