User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Leeds (away)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Arteta is dining off the cup wins over City and Chelsea. One off games where everything went our way on the day.
    I think that’s a bit harsh. I thought we were really good in those games and deserved to win them.
    But we just haven’t pushed on, we’ve actually regressed.
    It increasingly feels like there isn’t much to lose from letting Arteta go. He could become a good manager but he doesn’t seem like one yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean from a tactical perspective. We won those games deservedly but did it playing pretty much in the same turgid way. Only difference was that Auba was on fire in both games. Now he can’t score the reality of how dire we’re set up to play is laid bare to see.

The league form has been a mixed bag of crap and that’s more telling than a couple of random games where for whatever reason it worked on the day.

Di Matteo won Chelsea the FA Cup and the Champions League but he was obviously a nothing coach.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 22-11-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Well if you think we’re capable of doing anything meaningful in the league then it’s not a good point. If you’ve accepted we’re mid-table fodder now then it’s a fantastic point.
    Yes, i promise i was only joking, it was a miserable failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhaka Can’t View Post
    We are now, the very definition of mid-table fodder.

If you want something other than the league table as proof, you only have to look at how we approach games against the big teams.

We have not fallen hard, but we have fallen far.

It happened gently over a period of over ten years until we reached a tipping point. Rather than arresting that decline, which we had ample opportunity to do, we have passed the tipping point and the decline is accelerating.

Seriously, has anyone got the slightest clue how we get out of this mess? Does anyone know where to start?

Start in January, sell Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers. We should be planning for the summer. Lacazette, Nkietah, Nelson, at least 1 or 2 should be sold, Cellabos, go back to Madrid. Cedric, Hector, AMN, Holding, Mari, 2 gotta be sold from that list.

At this point dont care who we bring in. We need to rid off a lot. And January should be the start, won't be tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobson's choice View Post
    Start in January, sell Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers. We should be planning for the summer. Lacazette, Nkietah, Nelson, at least 1 or 2 should be sold, Cellabos, go back to Madrid. Cedric, Hector, AMN, Holding, Mari, 2 gotta be sold from that list.

At this point dont care who we bring in. We need to rid off a lot. And January should be the start, won't be tho.
    And the Manager?

We cannot just keep chopping and changing players. Arteta MUST take some of the blame here, our football is terrible!

Why have Auba and Cellabos become rubbish overnight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    And the Manager?

We cannot just keep chopping and changing players. Arteta MUST take some of the blame here, our football is terrible!

Yep - the Manager has to be included within that line up.

Additionally, how much confidence can we have in those responsible for the selection of the manager? I was inclined initially to give them the benefit of the doubt - that they knew something and saw something we didn't and had the competence to turn things around. Particularly as they went back to Arteta so soon after having an initial sniff around prior to the Emery appointment.

I have completely lost faith in them to get it right if and when they replace Arteta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobson's choice View Post

I'm not being facetious, but 'sell'? With the contracts they have and their limited ability, they couldn't be given away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think there have been some improvements with Arteta. Clearly defensively we are a much better side.

We clearly have a plan & a shape and you could see both yesterday & at Old Trafford that we quickly adopted our shape when the opposition attacked and dealt with pretty much all the attacks. yes the post helped a couple of times but you need some luck. Given where we were defensively under Emery, it is a massive improvement and clearly taken a lot of effort from Arteta to get the players to buy in and learn the system.

However, the attacking play is non existent and hopefully now he has got a grip of the defence we can move into developing our attacking play quickly. Partey seems to be a good player with that link between defence & attack as was Cellabos yesterday. I understand why we didnt start Saka as we dont want to burn him out but he was our best player and he only played 20 odd minutes! There seems to be a real lack of speed in our passing when in the attacking third, with no movements from players off the ball. It’s all very static and that needs to be sorted quickly.

With Pepe, i’d give him a chance. Last year he took a while to hit his stride which is understandable with a move to a new league & country but he showed glimpses of real talent imo. Then Covid hit and Arteta started not playing him as often. It’s always going to be difficult to be given a few sub appearances of 10 minutes and then told to show world class talent when you finally get a start. I’d much rather we said have five games as a starter, get into some form then play Willian who is just slow and offers nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attacking play can’t and won’t develop though because he’s such a conservative coach. Likes to play with deep blocks and 2 sitting midfielders, placing emphasis on the forwards all dropping deeper to help defend as a team has neutered their natural attacking instinct. Again, just a couple of shots on target yesterday, that is a running theme. I’d at least give the benefit of the doubt if we were creating the chances but fluffing our lines.

This is just what we are now because we don’t know how to play or win in any other way. We concede less but don’t create chances and don’t score, the results are no better and we’re still mid-table. There’s been no improvement because you can’t have one without the other.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 23-11-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    And the Manager?

We really haven't chopped much, we just keep on buying average players. And we didn't get rid off any barring Mikhi.