User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Are we getting carried away with the doom and gloom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adams calls Arsenal out on Willian

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...ng_427396.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I pretty much agree, but with a half decent manager, this squad of players should be finishing around 6th in this league.

With pretty much the same squad last season, Arteta had us finishing the season relatively strongly last season coupled with the Cup Win and beating City and Chelsea along the way.

We do need to ship out pretty much all of the experienced senior players, but they are better than what they are serving up right now, we are 15th for FFS, it's totally unacceptable.
    We finished 5th - 2 points off 3rd - the season after Wenger left. And we got to the Europa Cup Final.
    The idea that Wenger left us with a terrible squad is nonsense. The end result of the season after he left was a perfectly reasonable base to build on.
    It's all gone to shit since then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We finished 5th - 2 points off 3rd - the season after Wenger left. And we got to the Europa Cup Final.
    The idea that Wenger left us with a terrible squad is nonsense. The end result of the season after he left was a perfectly reasonable base to build on.
    It's all gone to shit since then
    Aye, sorry when I meant pretty much all the experienced players, I was talking about the likes of Luiz, Sokratis, Mustafi, Chambers (?), Xhaka, Elneny, Ceballos, Ozil, Lacazette, Guendouzi (?), Torreira & Willian (?)

Question marks behind the players who are 50/50, could be salvaged under a decent coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I don't think any manager coming in now would drop 90% of the first team. And I don't think any manager would get the financial support he needs from the Kroenke leeches (who have somehow convinced the fans that gate money and sponsorship money came out of their pockets). The cancer is at the top and it seeps down. These players can win, as you point out, but they can also coast, because the whole culture at Arsenal is not about winning and competing, it's about making ends meet and they boast about it. Sustainable club, blah, blah. Well you can be sustainable by overspending and winning trophies, like Liverpool and the gypos have demonstrated. It's he who dares wins, not he who budgets survives.

The club is rotten to the core. It was made rotten by Kroenke and Wenger and now we are seeing their handiwork come home to roost. Everyone looks for results in the span of a season. But a club fails over many seasons, and it takes just as long or even longer to reverse the course. When did Wenger leave? We've probably got another 3 years pain in order to wash away his poison and start again.
    Aye, sorry when I meant pretty much all the experienced players, I was talking about the likes of Luiz, Sokratis, Mustafi, Chambers (?), Xhaka, Elneny, Ceballos, Ozil, Lacazette, Guendouzi (?), Torreira & Willian (?)

Question marks behind the players who are 50/50, could be salvaged under a decent coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Aye, Arteta definitely needs to go, not just for the unacceptable performances, number of back to back defeats and current position in the table, but also for his man management of some of the players in the Squad.

We are to a certain extent at crossroads now, do we get someone experienced in to just steady the ship and see out the season? I personally think that is the best thing to do given the current state of the squad. There are so many question marks over so many players, the Ozil situation, Guendouzi situation, Torreira situation, the likes of Mustafi, Luiz, Sokratis, Lacazette, Balogun etc. Most of those lot will probably go which is fine by me, but we are going to need to do further restructuring and rebuilding of the squad.

Regarding the rebuild, if Edu is to stay he is going to need an experienced DOF to work with him to rebuild the squad, rebuilding is difficult enough as is when you have an experienced team, rebuilding when we have the likes of Edu and Arteta (if he manages to stay in the job) will simply be beyond them IMO, it is a huge task and one that is very easy to get wrong as we are seeing now.

I am hoping those above look at this current situation as a two part process, priority being to sort us out short term and actually finish the season in a semi-respectable position. Then the summer rebuild where a number of players will most likely be departing.

Also, given the upheavel of last season, the car crash that is unfolding this season, unless we improve drastically, we are going to need to humble ourselves come the summer and rebuild by picking up under the radar players. We simply will not be a catch for any half decent player without any European football next season.
    My view is that Arteta's man management and decisions are the reason he needs to go, more than the league position and performances. If it were just the latter, and we could see some kind of a plan and competent analysis of what the team needs, I would back him to stay - mostly because the last thing we need is yet more instability. Our performances have been poor - particularly going forwards, but there have been some fine losing margins too.

But I am totally disillusioned by Arteta's reality over the 'vision' that he set out. This is not Ozil. That ship has long sailed. It's Willian and Xhaka, and his indulgence of shit attitudes and performances from senior players while failing to reward, or try younger, more deserving players. We needed Arsenal to forget any top 4 delusions and go for long term - but what has the manager done to follow a long term plan? For me, Arteta is firmly in Emery territory - he seems to have lost all semblance of a plan.

Arteta either doesn't have the bottle, or the wish/ability to deliver what this team needs - which is a total change in attitude. I despise Willian and Xhaka, but to a lesser extent also Auba and Luiz for playing like indulged prima donnas who get paid to carry the club but go missing when we most need them. At least the likes of Laca and Bellerin try. They are not good enough but talent s not our primary issue IMO. It's culture and attitude and Arteta is indulging this just as much if not more than those before him.

I do have grave doubts about being able to get the manager we need though. Maybe I'll do a new thread on this...
    Last edited by IBK; 22-12-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all of that IBK