User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need a new manager?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we need a new manager?

OK deliberately provocative title - but hear me out. This isn't about how bad a job Arteta is doing, its about the alternatives.

What do we need most? Its a tried and tested but hungry young manager with a track record who can clear out the dross and take us forward with a long term vision and help to de-'Arsenal' our club.

But I don't think there is a manager with the profile and talent we need in world football who would touch us at the moment, given the obvious mess not just our team, but our entire club seems to be in. Why would an ambitious coach in the mould of, say a Klopp touch us, when we are in a shambles and its obvious that the club does not have what it takes at executive or football director level to thrive? Pochettino? Brendan Rodgers? Why would they even want the job?

The alternative? An Allegri type who will steady the ship and stop the freefall. But for what? To finish 8th place? This type of manager ain't going to achieve what we so badly need. He would be a stop gap. Look at Mourinho at Manure - that went well didn't it? There is no guarantee even bringing in some experience. In the meantime, the club spunks millions on the severance pay of Arteta and his team, and millions more on a stop gap. And the culture that continues to hold us back goes unaddressed.

Plus - and this is an important point - with lack of direction at senior exectutive level, how much damage does yet further churn do to an already foundering ship?

What do we really want? Not to be relegated? Because that is the real choice this season. It matters not in real terms whether we finish 15th or 10th.

Is there a case for (as I have heard from some sources), bringing in a player or 2 in January that at least tries to ensure EPL safety under Arteta, and leaving him to finish the season, while looking seriously at spending the money to bring in someone above him who has the credentials to stop the rot? Then plan properly instead of yet more instability over the short term.

Thoughts?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger in
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we do need a better coach but it’s difficult to say who because the players are such a mess right now, I’m not sure what can be salvaged this season regardless of who’s in charge.

I’m actually leaning towards just letting the season play out and allowing Arteta to decide what he wants to do with the rope given to him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit conflicted.
    I don't want us be one of those clubs who hops from manager to manager. That rarely works.
    That said, Arteta has no proven record as a manager. He was always a punt. He won us the FA Cup and that certainly bought him some good will and time, but this season has been a complete car crash.
    I like Arteta and he certainly talks a good game. And I have to say we have been getting some really bad luck recently. But the way we are playing is not inspiring, we don't dominate teams. We do in terms of possession but when's the last time we actually battered a team. Even when we have got wins they've been close and scrappy. It was a good result and performance at Old Trafford but we created very little, but for a silly penalty it would have petered out to a 0-0. West Ham we got a late winner but it wasn't convincing.
    Forget the Chelsea game - we night get something but I'm more interested in the 2 games after that where we're playing teams round us. If we get poor results in those then he surely has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we certainly don’t need to do though, is spend money in January to get us out of this mess. We will end up with the completely wrong profile of player.

The young players care enough about to the club and their careers to have some kind of impact. Use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta out

There you can close the thread now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want Arteta to work but he seems to make bad decisions the whole time. Surely Saliba deserves a chance before he's tearing it up at Bayern in a couple of years. Guendouzi the same.

Arteta seems to make his mind up quickly about players yet he persists with proven failures. I'm sorry he is killing our Club and the Board don't give a flying fuck because they appointed him.

Sack the Board, sack the manager. Bring back David Dein.
    Last edited by Slacker; 22-12-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Arteta out

There you can close the thread now...
    ..and the alternative? Where do you think that leaves us?

Again, I'm not saying that I don't think Arteta should go - but we need to think about timing and what we really expect to happen if he does go. I wonder whether sacking him now puts us even further from where we want to go than sticking with him for the rest of the season and at least planning properly for a replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    What we certainly don’t need to do though, is spend money in January to get us out of this mess. We will end up with the completely wrong profile of player.

The young players care enough about to the club and their careers to have some kind of impact. Use them.
    Hmmm - for me it depends whether its the right thing to do for Arteta to see the season out. If so - maybe we do need a signing or 2 to make sure we stay up?? Not big money of course, just someone who can ensure Xhaka never plays again and maybe a target man if we are going to insist on crosses??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm a bit conflicted.
    I don't want us be one of those clubs who hops from manager to manager. That rarely works.
    That said, Arteta has no proven record as a manager. He was always a punt. He won us the FA Cup and that certainly bought him some good will and time, but this season has been a complete car crash.
    I like Arteta and he certainly talks a good game. And I have to say we have been getting some really bad luck recently. But the way we are playing is not inspiring, we don't dominate teams. We do in terms of possession but when's the last time we actually battered a team. Even when we have got wins they've been close and scrappy. It was a good result and performance at Old Trafford but we created very little, but for a silly penalty it would have petered out to a 0-0. West Ham we got a late winner but it wasn't convincing.
    Forget the Chelsea game - we night get something but I'm more interested in the 2 games after that where we're playing teams round us. If we get poor results in those then he surely has to go.
    I pretty much agree with you. I am very worried about where having to replace him leaves our club though. Anyone coming in will be short term only and will have to deal with senior players and cliques that we need shot of so badly...