OK deliberately provocative title - but hear me out. This isn't about how bad a job Arteta is doing, its about the alternatives.

What do we need most? Its a tried and tested but hungry young manager with a track record who can clear out the dross and take us forward with a long term vision and help to de-'Arsenal' our club.

But I don't think there is a manager with the profile and talent we need in world football who would touch us at the moment, given the obvious mess not just our team, but our entire club seems to be in. Why would an ambitious coach in the mould of, say a Klopp touch us, when we are in a shambles and its obvious that the club does not have what it takes at executive or football director level to thrive? Pochettino? Brendan Rodgers? Why would they even want the job?

The alternative? An Allegri type who will steady the ship and stop the freefall. But for what? To finish 8th place? This type of manager ain't going to achieve what we so badly need. He would be a stop gap. Look at Mourinho at Manure - that went well didn't it? There is no guarantee even bringing in some experience. In the meantime, the club spunks millions on the severance pay of Arteta and his team, and millions more on a stop gap. And the culture that continues to hold us back goes unaddressed.

Plus - and this is an important point - with lack of direction at senior exectutive level, how much damage does yet further churn do to an already foundering ship?

What do we really want? Not to be relegated? Because that is the real choice this season. It matters not in real terms whether we finish 15th or 10th.

Is there a case for (as I have heard from some sources), bringing in a player or 2 in January that at least tries to ensure EPL safety under Arteta, and leaving him to finish the season, while looking seriously at spending the money to bring in someone above him who has the credentials to stop the rot? Then plan properly instead of yet more instability over the short term.

Thoughts?