User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to solve the Nicolas Pepe Problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to solve the Nicolas Pepe Problem?

This is by no means a player hate thread and I do actually like some aspects to Pepe's game. I think there is no denying we have a real problem in our squad with him, 72Million pounds even in that market we bought him in should give you the finished product.

If we are being truly honest, Gabrielle Martinelli who cost a 10th of his price looks a far better player and adds a lot more to this team than Pepe.

Pepe has shown flashes of star quality, but by and large his game has been inconsistent, at times woeful and he doesn't strike me as someone with a strong character and tough mentality.

For me, it's come to the point where we have to accept this guy isn't the one, he has flopped under 3 different managers now...none of them trust him. At best he comes across as a squad player to me, one we will never get anywhere near to our investment back if he was put on the market.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d take the loss on Pepe and try to move him on this summer. Nothing against him personally, but he just doesn’t fit with what we’re trying to do - too one-footed and predictable, and I never feel like he’s completely part of the team when he’s out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s capable of producing something out of nothing - however as mentioned he’s too predictable and easy to read, shows too much of the ball to his opponent and I also think he isn’t up to standard physically.

Saying that because of his ability to produce something from nothing, I think he can be useful but he’s certainly not someone to rely on. If he left then I wouldn’t really care but for the remainder of the season I would still try to get a tune out of him.

He’s no team player that is for sure though. If he’s not on the end of an attack then he doesn’t really provide much.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 29-12-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that Saka will switch to the right now we have Martinelli / Auba on the left. Pepe gives us some cover for the remainder of the season, but I'd also look to cut losses in the summer and move him on. Not the player we hoped for. I think he'll always be too inconsistent and frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, pretty much agree with all the responses, he's becoming an after thought to a certain extent, certainly not one of the leaders of this emerging set of young attacking talents we have. Sure he might be able to do a job off the bench...but that's not what the investment was intended for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the player himself could probably do with a clean break too - he's too young to just sit on his contract and let his career fade into obscurity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would also free up a non British quota spot... cover at the moment and get rid in the Summer... if we can get 30m that would be good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a tricky one.

He came here with a huge price tag (not his fault at all) and then it all went wrong with Emery. Most players struggled to show anything during those games. He was also then trying to adapt to a new country and league all of which take time. I think most say it takes about 6 months to adjust fully but of course after 6 months or so, the pandemic hits and no football for several months.

Then football restarts and Arteta doenst use him that much and this season, he keeps playing Willian who does fuck all and lets Pepe have a few minutes here and there as a sub with the occasional start. That is no way to help a player get into some form and it probably doesnt help his confidence watching Willian do fuck all each week and still cant get a game.

As said above, Pepe has shown glimpses and i dont think its the time to cut our losses. It would be best to say to Pepe, you are starting the next 5 games. Dont worry about it just show us what you can do. If you have a bad game, dont worry, you will start the next. Give him time to build confidence up and get used playing regularly. We aren’t winning anything this season so why not try and get the best out of Pepe for next year. He will offer a lot more then Willian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Saka makes the permanent switch to the right (allowing Auba or Martinelli to play left) that pushes Pepe even further down the pecking order.

Watching Saka the last few games has really highlighted just how poor Willian and Pepe have been for us.

I think one will go in the summer and that will probably be Pepe as we should be able to get some money for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we spent that money we were sold an instant hero. As usual we got it wrong again by ignoring the obvious. A lot of us, at that time, said that money would have been better spent on a proven EPL talent like his country man Zaha . In fact even Emery got it right as he wanted Zaha but was overruled by the suits. There is no doubt Pepe is a talent, but he never proved himself in any other team but Lille (even on international duty) and Ligue 1.

Now going back to the "problem".... as far as I am concerned there isn't one. Yes we paid a huge fee and yes he earns shitloads, however that means nothing as long as the better players ATM always starts over him...which is what is happening now and was not happening under Emery. Pepe will not be the first Arsenal player not to pull up trees his early years and later become an essential player in the squad ( Edu, Flamini, Song, Eboue,RVP etc). He's still young and can get better. Its similar to the way we got rid of Gervinho to early and what about the kid at Bayern??

So as long as he gets no undeserved starts, keeps showing a good work ethic and causes no conflict in the team, I would keep him. I would only sell if I knew I could get close to his worth back , 60mish and thats not happening now. So lets give him more time, as time is what we have afforded all the idiots running the club.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 03-01-2021 at 11:04 AM.