User Tag List

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: FA Cup 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    This is the still they showed. Are you seriously telling me that this is clear?

I think this is where VAR needs some kind of “linesman’s call” as they do in cricket.

The first thing they should do before they check the goal is ask the linesman would they have flagged offside or not. Depending on the linesman’s answer, they go with that and have to see a clear & obvious error to overturn it.

So in this case, if hte linesman said onside, it would be given as a goal and i really dont think anyone would argue if that was given as onside.

In cricket, umpires call works on the basis that if less then half the ball is predicted to hit the stumps, they go with the on field decision. There must be a way here to build in some leeway so that you dont get calls where Pepe’s big toe is offside by 1mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Letters - the fact is it's what the line's obscuring you need to think about - the Chelsea player's whole arm and shoulder is obscured by the line whereas i'm not sure any of the Leicester player is obscured

Seriously that's a pretty obvious offside to me

Plus once the decision was made you didn't hear the commentary team go on about it, if they thought it would be really controversial they'd have talked it up a lot more
    Last edited by Mac76; 16-05-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems pretty clear to me. His whole shoulder is ahead of the last defender. Hope Leicester turn them over in the league too
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously don’t know what you guys are seeing
    Actually this wouldn’t be offside in a rule being trialled next season - Wenger’s idea actually
    (Wenger )
    Under that rule someone is only offside if a part of the body which someone can score with is offside.

But I agree with Ollie. A bit of common sense is needed.
    You can argue that offside is a definition, like whether the ball is over the line for a goal.
    But there are differences - whether the player is “active”, phases of play and all that. There is a degree of interpretation. And I’d suggest the key thing - this is surely the point of the offside rule - is whether the player is getting an advantage.
    Would that goal still have been scored were his arm a few centimetres further back? Of course it would.
    A way I think about is would I have been complaining had that goal been scored against us. Not really in this instance. If it’s a clear error then fine, VAR can do its thing. If you’re having to freeze frame and argue about whether a certain part of someone’s body was in front of some line then just let it go.

Starting today, obviously. Yesterday was brilliant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I can remember since the 70s when I didn't know the FA Cup final was being played. Went through the whole of Saturday oblivious. I guess that means I'm officially done with whatever this thing is they call football.
    Für eure Sicherheit