1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I'd honestly sell him in the summer while he's still appealing to some big club as a player maybe with a season or two left in him

i think that game shows that for us to be at our best we need one specific starting eleven which includes Tierney, Saka, ESR, etc

some people had real shockers - AMN; Eddie as usual (what a terrible player); we didn't look as solid with Luiz in place of Mari/Gabriel, also despite some good tackles Xhaka gives the ball away and gives fouls away too many times to cut it at this level

btw I don't quite get the Ceballos hate, i thought he was one of our better players and while he can make mistakes he does generally try to be positive and make something happen

apart from him we really weren't trying to create much movement and ESR and Saka were closed down pretty effectively by Palace

also maybe both players have run through that initial adrenaline of playing regularly together and it's all catching up with them

overall I'm not too worried at one slow performance after what we've seen the last few weeks and Palace are an experienced side - as i said in the match thread at least we didn't give away a stupid pel to Zaha like we would have in the past

but Arteta does need to learn to anticipate when players need a rest - he knackered Partey previously by playing him not fully fit and now he's worn out Tierney - i was really surprised when he played Tierney in the FAC and it was clearly a mistake

Even with our “best” XI out there, you’d probably still be looking to upgrade 4 or 5 of the players. That means we’re relying on 6 or 7 key players most weeks - of those 3 of them are kids and 2 are new signings! If any of those guys is absent or has an off day then we’re going to struggle. And while we have so few options it’s going to be very easy for opponents to scout us and work us out (Palace have already sussed that if you stop us getting the ball to ESR then we can’t get the ball out from the back - that took 5 games).

At this point I don’t have any expectations for this season - I’m literally just keeping an eye out for those rare moments when our best players are all in the side at the same time to see if I can get a hint about where we might be heading. I’ll be keeping an eye out for little combinations and partnerships that look promising. I’m not expecting sustained, dominant performances - I don’t think we have the depth of quality or the variety of player that we need for that yet, and I think too many of the senior players are disinterested and impossible to motivate.

Re: Ceballos, it’s just hard to get excited about anything he does. He’s clearly got no intention of staying here, so it feels like his minutes should be going to someone with an Arsenal future (or, at the very least, someone who can make us money), and, let’s be honest, we’ve seen these good performances from him before - they never last more than a game. Chuck in the couple of fights he’s started and he just seems like he’s more trouble than he’s worth.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 16-01-2021 at 04:42 PM.