User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Southampton (away, FA Cup)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    In the summer we need to try our hardest to get rid of:

Willian (though i doubt we will)
    Eddie
    Pepe
    Xhaka
    Elneny
    Mustafi (if he's not gone already, if not i think he might be out of contract anyway?)
    Auba
    Bellerin (we should get good money for him i'd hope and AMN and Cedric are as good as him)

I'd be tempted to hold onto Laca as he's proving useful and it was interesting to hear Keown say he's good with the younger players, though if we need to sell for contract reasons then so be it
    I feel for Laca because I really think he’s putting the effort in, but I just don’t think we should even be considering bettering his current £180k/wk wages, especially at nearly 30 - that’s more than generous for what he offers. Let’s mot make the same mistake we did with Auba - be grateful he’s puffing his value, sell and reinvest in someone cheaper and longer-term. We need to start getting ruthless with these things.

Agree with the rest of your list, plus I’d also add Luiz, either Willock or a Nelson, Ceballos (who isn’t ours and hasn’t done enough to warrant an offer) and Torreira and Guendouzi (who clearly have no future here). Massive rebuild!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    The Willian deal isn't a great example of lessons being learnt though. I'm also worried about the links to Bertrand currently. It's good to see some of the dross being shifted though.
    OK, I’m just going to say it... I don’t actually blame Arteta or Edu for wanting to sign Willian. The move actually made a lot of sense back in the summer - our other wide options were either incredibly young (Saka, Martinelli, Nelson) or struggling to settle (Pepe) so I can see the sense in adding in an experienced, PL-ready pro to that mix. Also we had limited funds and he was on a free.

Statistically? I’m sure I read he was one of Chelsea’s best players from the previous season, so he was still performing well - a slight dip in form was to be expected as he got older, but I don’t think anyone could have predicted just how much of a dumpster fire of a signing he would turn out to be?!

The person who needs to be shot is whoever offered him 3 years on £220k/wk! Seriously, wtf?

Generally speaking, I think our other transfer activity has been ok under Arteta - I have no issue with Mari or Cedric as cheap cover, and our big signings (Partey and Gabriel) were hits. Runasson looks a big miss, but you can’t win them all -(plus I get the feeling we were expecting to bring in another keeper as well, but couldn’t get it done). And, again, I have no issue with our targets this January - given our financial constraints I’m not sure we can do too much more. Most importantly, the outs are looking spot on! I can’t tell you how happy I am that someone is finally identifying the problem players / contracts and doing something about them. I can forgive the odd miss if they’re mostly getting it right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think we need to give up on Eddie as a team we don't create enough tap in chances that he needs to score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Think we need to give up on Eddie as a team we don't create enough tap in chances that he needs to score.
    he is probably ok as a back up striker in a creative team. but we arent that.

also i am going to stick my neck out here and say that i dont think Willian was a good signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I feel for Laca because I really think he’s putting the effort in, but I just don’t think we should even be considering bettering his current £180k/wk wages, especially at nearly 30 - that’s more than generous for what he offers. Let’s mot make the same mistake we did with Auba - be grateful he’s puffing his value, sell and reinvest in someone cheaper and longer-term. We need to start getting ruthless with these things.

Agree with the rest of your list, plus I’d also add Luiz, either Willock or a Nelson, Ceballos (who isn’t ours and hasn’t done enough to warrant an offer) and Torreira and Guendouzi (who clearly have no future here). Massive rebuild!
    I'm also writing off Guen and Torreira, they definitely are on their way out

Luiz will be out of contract, and Ceballos' loan will end

I agree about Willock and maybe Nelson though i'd still have preferred to see him play today than some of the crap we had up front

I never said anything about paying Laca more money, and again i don't know what his contract situation is, but if it works i would 't object to him being at Arsenal next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I'm also writing off Guen and Torreira, they definitely are on their way out

Luiz will be out of contract, and Ceballos' loan will end

I agree about Willock and maybe Nelson though i'd still have preferred to see him play today than some of the crap we had up front

I never said anything about paying Laca more money, and again i don't know what his contract situation is, but if it works i would 't object to him being at Arsenal next season
    Yeah, I know, but I’m guessing that’s what it will take. I just can’t imagine a footballer signing an extension for the same money - I’m not sure their egos (or agents) would allow it. He’ll be 30 by the summer and down to his last year - if he can maintain this form until then and boost his value I reckon shake hands and part ways. Get him a good move to a CL team and reinvest in the future.

I haven’t completely written Nelson off yet, but if a good offer came in you’d have to look at it? Hoping we look to ditch Willian and Pepe first, but we need funds and he’s currently expendable. Where is he at the moment anyway? Is he injured or has he just been dropped?

Willock, I just don’t see a path for. He doesn’t look cut out to play at the base of midfield next to Partey, and he’s not on the same level as ESR as an attacking midfielder. If we’re serious about loaning Ødegaard then I think that’s a pretty clear sign we’re not sure about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta really doesn't seem to rate Nelson, he gives him very little game time, seems a bit unfair but maybe he just doesn't run around enough traffic cones for Arteta's liking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pencil in AMN’s departure too. Think it’s very obvious Arteta doesn’t see a place for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I’m finding odd is that, Balogun aside, none of these young players are making any noises about leaving? Not so much as a peep from their agents either?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well how many of them are actually that good? We know Saka and ESR are different animals but the likes of Eddie, Willock and Nelson are nothing players really. Arsenal is probably as good as it will get for them so why rock the boat? Also they know they’re filling the homegrown quota so that makes their places in the squad relatively secure.