User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Match Reaction v Southampton (away, FA Cup)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longer we persist with average players, the longer the overall quality of the team will be average. Why cant we just go with the evidence of our own eyes. We dont owe any of these kids a career. Move them on and promote the next set of kids in their place. Its not that hard really

Its bad enough that we keep on adding average players at the top end, we cant even get rid of the ones at the bottom of the ladder.

Many teams, especially in Europe earn a main chunk of their income by selling academy players, instead we just hoard them. Psychiatric intervention may be needed
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Well how many of them are actually that good? We know Saka and ESR are different animals but the likes of Eddie, Willock and Nelson are nothing players really. Arsenal is probably as good as it will get for them so why rock the boat? Also they know they’re filling the homegrown quota so that makes their places in the squad relatively secure.
    Yeah, maybe COVID’s playing a part too? We can’t be the only club that has financial worries - not much point in making demands and agitating for moves if there’s no interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    OK, I’m just going to say it... I don’t actually blame Arteta or Edu for wanting to sign Willian. The move actually made a lot of sense back in the summer - our other wide options were either incredibly young (Saka, Martinelli, Nelson) or struggling to settle (Pepe) so I can see the sense in adding in an experienced, PL-ready pro to that mix. Also we had limited funds and he was on a free.

Statistically? I’m sure I read he was one of Chelsea’s best players from the previous season, so he was still performing well - a slight dip in form was to be expected as he got older, but I don’t think anyone could have predicted just how much of a dumpster fire of a signing he would turn out to be?!

The person who needs to be shot is whoever offered him 3 years on £220k/wk! Seriously, wtf?

Generally speaking, I think our other transfer activity has been ok under Arteta - I have no issue with Mari or Cedric as cheap cover, and our big signings (Partey and Gabriel) were hits. Runasson looks a big miss, but you can’t win them all -(plus I get the feeling we were expecting to bring in another keeper as well, but couldn’t get it done). And, again, I have no issue with our targets this January - given our financial constraints I’m not sure we can do too much more. Most importantly, the outs are looking spot on! I can’t tell you how happy I am that someone is finally identifying the problem players / contracts and doing something about them. I can forgive the odd miss if they’re mostly getting it right...
    As usual sensible post.

Re Saturday's game - meh from my perspective. You don't make 7 changes to our best side and expect to play at anything like our best - especially against a well drilled and (as far as I could tell) pretty much full strength Southampton team. When a couple of our better players did come on it was always going to be a real struggle trying to break down a low block - but we looked heaps better in the second half which I suppose was encouraging.

I think any team would have been sub-par with all the chopping and changing. A good exapmle of how this impinges even on the best players was the disappointing performance of Martinelli.

We all know that our second string is not up to much - but while Southampton attached with intent - it still took a deflected OG for them to win the tie. Not going to throw my toys out of the pram for either the result or the flat 1st hour's performance from us.

TBF I felt a bit for Pepe in this match. He tried hard and should have had at least an assist. The double whammy of playing with the more dysfunctional second string and this Arsenal team not being set up for him to shine is not working for him (and yes - I do accept that we were hoping that he would be a game changer in any Arsenal team and he is not).

William sucked. Again. But this happens and some of the criticism of Arteta and Edu for signing him is too coloured by hindsight. The ridiculous deal he was given not so much.

Also, while there were far too many changes on Saturday for Arteta to expect to maintain our recent momentum, I can see why he did it. We were quick to accuse him of running players down, or rushing them back earlier in the season.

Right lads - now go and win tomorrow with the first team.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports that Mustafi is now in talks with club to terminate contract. He's clearly 5th/6th choice now so won't be seeing much game time unless he moves on. Sounds like a win win.