User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Man Utd (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed half time due to watching the Raspberry Racers romp to a gold in the Ice Hockey in the Winter Marble League, why was Martinelli taken off?
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reason why Maguire didnt get booked for his foul on Lacazette outside the box?

His second one then should have been a second yellow.

Also how the fuck did VAR review Fernandez stamping on Xhaka Achilles and decide it wasn’t a red?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Martinelli injure himself? Or did he get subbed because Willian sucked better Dick at HT?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tactical reasons, apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Tactical reasons, apparently.
    You mean Arteta actually didn't want to win the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suffered this. But was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't as soul crushing as a typical Arsenal match. It did have it's moments and there did seem to be more of an emphasis on moving the ball towards the opposition goal - which is a huge shift in tactics that I approve of. Mind you, such improvement came in small segments, the rest of the time it was as dire as ever.

When Willian came on for Martinelli it was a game changer. But in every terrible way imaginable. Did he have a 100% success rate in fucking everything he touched? I think he did.

Taking Smith Rowe off was pretty dumb too, as he's one of the few players who hasn't been Bellerined.

Xhaka was hopeless. Sideway, backwards, the usual.

Partey looks like an inferior Xhaka. He's had a few injuries so maybe he's getting back up to speed. But on that showing he represents a huge waste of money - which is par for the course.

Willian, Xhaka, Bellerin and the hard working Cedric. Three of those things make one of those things redundant going forward.

Pepe looked a bit brighter, as if he's starting to get a clue. Nowhere near yet, but signs of improvement.

I thought Laca did well enough when he was on his feet. Which wasn't often. If he could cut out all the diving and screaming and crying, he'd be a decent pro. But that's unlikely, isn't it?

But, judging by the lowest standards I've ever seen at Arsenal, this was better than usual. At one point I hoped Utd didn't score, which kind of makes me think there's still something in there that connects to the past.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    You mean Arteta actually didn't want to win the game?
    Don’t ask me, man, I just work here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously though, not too bad all things considered. We know there’s about 4 players who we really struggle without; we were missing two of them (Saka and KT) and the other two (Partey and ESR) both had late fitness checks, so may not have been 100%. Gotta say I still thought we could win this one, but I’m not unhappy with the draw - as long as it keeps confidence high and the unbeaten run going.

Positives for me are that 4 at the back and 5 in midfield looks like it’s here to stay - no reverting back to 3 CBs as soon as we have a tough game and a couple of injuries. Generally speaking we’re starting to find a good balance between solid defensive work and attack now - considering where we were this time last year, where we could only really defend (with a lot of effort!) and then had to rely on Auba being ridiculously efficient with a handful of chances, I think we’re moving in the right direction.

Need to build out the options we need to make it consistent now, and work on speed of execution - we see moments of fast transitions / combos (usually when all of our best players are out), but there’s a little way to go before it becomes automatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

Need to build out the options we need to make it consistent now, and work on speed of execution - we see moments of fast transitions / combos (usually when all of our best players are out), but there’s a little way to go before it becomes automatic.
    agreed, Pepe's clearly in his element when the ball's moving upfield quicker and there's others making moves around him - he got ignored a few times yesterday though by our midfield when he'd taken up good positions on the right and Arteta needs to give a steer to the others on that.

i think we might finally be seeing the Pepe signing (if not the amount paid) coming off and Arteta needs to back that - i get Saka is our first choice RM but i'd put Pepe on the left in that case, ahead of Auba

while he's obviously in theory also a good bench option, i think he's a better starter of a game than an impact sub - for some reason he can't come on and turn the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    agreed, Pepe's clearly in his element when the ball's moving upfield quicker and there's others making moves around him - he got ignored a few times yesterday though by our midfield when he'd taken up good positions on the right and Arteta needs to give a steer to the others on that.

i think we might finally be seeing the Pepe signing (if not the amount paid) coming off and Arteta needs to back that - i get Saka is our first choice RM but i'd put Pepe on the left in that case, ahead of Auba

while he's obviously in theory also a good bench option, i think he's a better starter of a game than an impact sub - for some reason he can't come on and turn the game
    Tbh I think that’s more on Pepe. Arteta can instruct the players to pick him out all he wants, but ultimately it will come down to the trust he builds up on the pitch: keep playing well and his team mates will instinctively seek him out; play badly and his team mates will automatically look for other options that they do trust.

Glad he’s fighting for his place though - would have been really easy for him to just slip into the background and hide, while Saka takes all the burden. Really pleased with his defensive contribution yesterday - was at fault for Southampton’s goal earlier in the week, but he looked switched on yesterday (and saved Bellerin’s ass a couple of times). That shows that he’s humble enough to want to learn and improve.