User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Wolves (away)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The truth is probably a fairly a simple one and that is the standard of refereeing is just plain awful and has been for a long time.

And VAR hasn't helped as much as I hoped it would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dermott Gallagher has said that Luiz deserved to go, Says it all really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

And VAR hasn't helped as much as I hoped it would.
    VAR works on yes or no. like in cricket or rugby. did he hit the ball. snicko, hot spot will tell you yes or no. football dont think you can use VAR for interpreting a sending off or foul sometimes. offside is fine, but intent is difficult. thing is VAR might take 10 years to iron out the problems as cricket and DRS has evolved over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should have refused to accept Mike fucking Dein years ago.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    No, I'll tell you what it is. In the mid-2000s and onward, teams would go out to kick us. Allardyce sides, Pulis sides, and refs would let them.
    Arsene Wenger has the AUDACITY to complain about the refereeing. And it's been downhill since then.
    For some reason the footballing world always seems to need a label to tag us with? For years we were ‘boring’ Arsenal under GG, then we were ‘dirty’ Arsenal in Wenger’s early years, and most recently we’ve been ‘soft’ Arsenal. It sounds harmless enough, but labels can be powerful things - I wonder how many refs, when they see one of our players getting fouled, just automatically dismiss it as another Arsenal player being ‘soft’? I wonder how many of them are even aware that they’re doing it?

You’re right, it was the infamous 50th game at Old Trafford that did it - United spent the whole match kicking the shit out of Reyes while the ref looked on, and then Fergie proudly announced to world afterwards “we know how you have to play Arsenal”. After that it was basically open season on our players...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    For some reason the footballing world always seems to need a label to tag us with? For years we were ‘boring’ Arsenal under GG, then we were ‘dirty’ Arsenal in Wenger’s early years, and most recently we’ve been ‘soft’ Arsenal. It sounds harmless enough, but labels can be powerful things - I wonder how many refs, when they see one of our players getting fouled, just automatically dismiss it as another Arsenal player being ‘soft’? I wonder how many of them are even aware that they’re doing it?

You’re right, it was the infamous 50th game at Old Trafford that did it - United spent the whole match kicking the shit out of Reyes while the ref looked on, and then Fergie proudly announced to world afterwards “we know how you have to play Arsenal”. After that it was basically open season on our players...
    Yeah - I'll buy the Arsenal percieved as 'soft' angle. After all refs are not divorced from the wider football community and their decisions are subjective to a degree. I guess its a reputation thing too - difficult not to think that Luis's tendency to committ fouls in his own box didn't influence the sending off on Tuesday night, TBH.

But we have to remember that other teams are well aware of our self-destructive traits, and will always play for these. We need to look at ourselves first and foremost - and how our players approach the game, before looking for any help (competence?) from the officials.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    We need to look at ourselves first and foremost - and how our players approach the game, before looking for any help (competence?) from the officials.
    This is why i still blame Luis for Tuesday - people can talk about refs, rules, VAR being crap but everyone knows it's all crap and so the smart players play accordingly - if you charge after someone into your penalty area, with no hope of making a decent tackle, you are taking too big a risk - he should have left it to Leno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=- he should have left it to Leno[/QUOTE]

Indeed. And if he had done that Luiz would have still been on the field then maybe Leno wouldn't had to come out of his area in the 2nd half with a full compliment of defenders backing him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Indeed. And if he had done that Luiz would have still been on the field then maybe Leno wouldn't had to come out of his area in the 2nd half with a full compliment of defenders backing him up.
    watch it again, Leno was last man, Traore would have beat him all ends up as well as any defender - it was still a stupid thing to do but we wouldn't have been under that kind of pressure if we'd had 11 men on the pitch still