User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Match Reaction v Villa (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post

Guendouzi seems to have an attitude that doesn't match is talent or performance level, he really is not that good.
    that's Xhaka summed up in one sentence

how you can say his attitude is better than Guen's when Xhaka repeatedly gets sent off and if he isn't fouling the opposition he's laughing and joking with them before and after the match beats me

his performances now are decent, but i think a good deal of his good press is simply because it's such a contrast to how shit he was before

if he'd always played like he does now people would simply say he's an average midfielder but not good enough for where we aim to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

how you can say his attitude is better than Guen's when Xhaka repeatedly gets sent off and if he isn't fouling the opposition he's laughing and joking with them before and after the match beats me

his performances now are decent, but i think a good deal of his good press is simply because it's such a contrast to how shit he was before

if he'd always played like he does now people would simply say he's an average midfielder but not good enough for where we aim to be
    I have been a harsh critic of Xhaka, but I think your analysis is a bit off off the mark. I am not going to defend his rushes of blood per se, but I think the truth about the player is that he is not suited to be the sole MF fulchrum of a team, and I wonder whether the pressure of having been this has led to some of the red cards. Alongside Partey where he can sit deeper, is not a mangnet for what was often a double press from the opposition and can use his passing qualities, he is a different player, and a good one. When he does not have to be further up the pitch (because his presence allows Partey to maraud forwards), his positioning has actually been good.

IIRC he has been MOTM more than once recently. In a vastly improved Arsenal team.

Lauging and joking with the opposition suggests that he does not care, or is not prepared to put the effort in. This is not the player I am seeing. Willian maybe but not Xhaka.

Like I say I am not Xhaka's cheerleader but unfavourably comparing him to Guendouzi is wrong, IMO.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I have been a harsh critic of Xhaka, but I think your analysis is a bit off off the mark. I am not going to defend his rushes of blood per se, but I think the truth about the player is that he is not suited to be the sole MF fulchrum of a team, and I wonder whether the pressure of having been this has led to some of the red cards. Alongside Partey where he can sit deeper, is not a mangnet for what was often a double press from the opposition and can use his passing qualities, he is a different player, and a good one. When he does not have to be further up the pitch (because his presence allows Partey to maraud forwards), his positioning has actually been good.

IIRC he has been MOTM more than once recently. In a vastly improved Arsenal team.

Lauging and joking with the opposition suggests that he does not care, or is not prepared to put the effort in. This is not the player I am seeing. Willian maybe but not Xhaka.

Like I say I am not Xhaka's cheerleader but unfavourably comparing him to Guendouzi is wrong, IMO.
    I don't see how being played out of position leads him to try to throttle an opponent or to put in hopeless tackles which no-one else on the pitch puts in regardless of position.

Even now, with everyone saying how much better he is, he literally gets yellow-carded in every game.

he's essentially an air-head who can take the odd free-kick or long-range pass

again a player who 's maybe good enough for Brighton or Fulham but not us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mac, I'm not entirely against what you are saying. I was firmly in the "Xhaka Out" camp after his sending off against Burnley earlier in the season, I'd given up on him, in fact I wanted him gone in the summer.

It's not that I think his attitude is better than Guen's, I just think he is a better player than Guen. If I am honest I have major reservations about both of them, but Xhaka is playing at a high level right now, that can't be denied. He has been consistent too and for well over a month.

Sure, Xhaka can be upgraded, but we have other issues in our team right now that need addressing before him, if Xhaka continues playing at this level then he is no longer an issue...that's all hypothetical of course.

Guen is just a young midfielder with potential, he is not an elite talent and his attitude stinks. I couldn't care less if we kept him or sold him.
    Last edited by selassie; 10-02-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how being played out of position leads him to try to throttle an opponent or to put in hopeless tackles which no-one else on the pitch puts in regardless of position.

Even now, with everyone saying how much better he is, he literally gets yellow-carded in every game.

he's essentially an air-head who can take the odd free-kick or long-range pass

again a player who 's maybe good enough for Brighton or Fulham but not us.
    Being played out of position is precisely what might encourage a player to make desperate tackles, although its no reason to try to throttle someone, I accept.

Many of our best ever players, and many good players in general receive a lot of yellow cards.

Like Selassie says, I'm not saying we can't upgrade on Xhaka, but ATM he is not the team's issue. And he is a better, proven player than Guendouzi, IMO.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, let's see

so far Arteta has managed to publically annoy players like Guen, Ozil and Saliba, the latter of whom was supposed to be an incredibly exciting prosepect when we signed him but has now been alienated to the point where he's basically happy to burn his bridges in public

also he has allegedly annoyed Nelson by freezing him out and playing Willian instead (i believe that's called adding insult to injury)

i think it's safe to say this is definitely an area where Arteta needs to develop his skills
    I do think Arteta's man-management skills need to improve. I also think he needs to improve his level of coaching and the performance levels and results of the team if he wants to keep his job, but ultimately we are stuck with him for now.

Given his lack of experience, he has done ok to date, the FA Cup win last season was impressive given the circumstances involved including the draw and teams we beat.

Another season of us languishing mid table around the likes of Southampton and Crystal Palace will not be accepted by me, especially given we have lost more games in PL than we have won this season, these standards should not be tolerated at Arsenal over a sustained period.

Arteta has a very difficult job and he inherited a dysfunctional squad with numerous issues, but progress is being made albeit very slowly.