User Tag List

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer '21 transfer lunacy and overpayment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a strange one.

We just sold Mavropanos for peanuts as well today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    It's a strange one.

We just sold Mavropanos for peanuts as well today.
    I thought he looked promising. Strange times. Especially when a slap and tickle, cash no questions is rife
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    sounds like it... very promising. seems alot although i guess it will hit 50m if we do well and win things so its probably pretty safe it wont reach that. but we are spoilt for choice at CB and i assume this means we wont be using the guy who we bought but doesnt play for us that i cant remember his name at the moment.
    Big money, but if you’re targeting the right profile of player then it becomes an investment and not an expense. These sums only start to annoy me when we start chucking them at players who are north of 26/27 because once their first contract comes to an end there’s no resale value there if we need to reinvest.

I do think this is an area that needs an upgrade, though, in spite of the number of CBs we have. We’ve been more solid over the last year or so, but a lot of the time I feel like it’s come at the expense of sitting too deep and leaving the midfield too stretched - one of the reasons we’ve struggled to link defence to attack, and often fail to maintain pressure on opponents in their half. At the moment none of our CBs are the complete package - they either lack the athleticism needed to cover distance or they lack passing ability and ball-control that’s necessary to contribute going forward.

Ironically, Saliba is probably the closest we have to the profile of defender that we want, but he has by far the least experience, and who TF knows what the state of his relationship with the club is like atm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    I thought he looked promising. Strange times. Especially when a slap and tickle, cash no questions is rife
    he obviously wasn't prepared to run around enough traffic cones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    His handful of games for us were mixed, and then he seemed to spend an eternity injured, but he's looked strong for Stuttgart in his time there.

The fee does look low, but I guess if the deal includes add-ons and sell-on / buy-back clauses then I guess it might work out OK in the long-run? Plus it's not like there's a bidding war for him - if Stuttgart is the only interested party, then the price is going to drop.

(I also wonder if there's an element of repairing our relationship with Mislintat here? Greasing the wheel, just in case we ever need to raid Stuttgart for any new prospects he unearths?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

The fee does look low, but I guess if the deal includes add-ons and sell-on / buy-back clauses then I guess it might work out OK in the long-run?
    this is Arsenal mate - you can guarantee none of that stuff is in there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Saliba:. Tearing it up in the French league, I hear but obviously not good enough for Arteta. Going all out to fill a vacancy that really wasnt there. Moreover, I hear this chap is barely 6ft tall, so buying us another handicap right there, unless Mr Sauce wants to deploy him as Gunnersaurus replacement in which case height wont really be an issue
    Mate, don't let the Saliba mess cloud your opinion of White - he's a very good player. Haven't read a bad word about him so far, and both Brighton and Leeds fans think we're getting a bargain, even at £50m. He was one of the stand-out players in the Championship with Leeds, thriving in a high-intensity Bielsa system, and in his first season in the Prem he was voted Brighton's POTY by their fans and called up into the England squad for the Euros. Plus I rate Potter as one of the best structural coaches in the league, so that bodes well for him coming in to work under Arteta.

I think we need to look at this in terms of the defence as a whole rather than just a straight choice between White and Saliba: can our main CB group of Gabriel, Holding, Mari and Saliba be upgraded by bringing in White? If the answer is yes (and for me it is) then we bring him in, no questions. If the weakest link then gets pushed out then that's their problem.

Let's see how things go when Saliba returns for preseason - I agree that it's not looking great, but I haven't completely given up on his time here yet. If he comes back determined to show everyone that he deserves to be here then who knows? It might end up being one of the other CBs who goes? I wouldn't even rule out keeping all 5 of them if we want the tactical flexibility to switch between a back 2 and a back 3. (Plus Mari seems to spend a lot of time out injured, so it may not be the worst idea in the world to have an extra man in there.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    this is Arsenal mate - you can guarantee none of that stuff is in there...
    I'm sure we used to regularly insert sell-on clauses into sales, didn't we? I was always getting 'Arsenal receive unexpected windfall' stories popping up on my news feeds at one point?

Hopefully the fact that we're will to spend £50m on White is a sign that attitudes towards player investment are starting to shift somewhere with the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I'm sure we used to regularly insert sell-on clauses into sales, didn't we? I was always getting 'Arsenal receive unexpected windfall' stories popping up on my news feeds at one point?

Hopefully the fact that we're will to spend £50m on White is a sign that attitudes towards player investment are starting to shift somewhere with the club.
    'used to' is right, but that was before the Raul era, since then i think we've made some really bad deals - or else just let people like Ramsey go for nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    'used to' is right, but that was before the Raul era, since then i think we've made some really bad deals - or else just let people like Ramsey go for nothing
    They weren't just bad - some of them sound like they were borderline criminal! The Pepe deal without a doubt, but the more I look at it the dodgier the Saliba deal looks too? Wouldn't be surprised if there were others if someone really dug into it.