User Tag List

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer '21 transfer lunacy and overpayment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    This. Let's remember that for all his high profile head rushes, Luis was pretty instrumental to our ball progression last season when we did play well last season. If White's ability in this respect is a good as his rep, then he is being purchased as a premier league ready replacement for one of our most important positions/players in Arteta's system of playing. I don't think you take a punt on a 19? year old who is simply not tested in this league (League 1 not nearly as challenging) to fill this key position. Price seems high - but all English players seem to command a 20/30% premium. I would like to see Saliba play, but many of those demanding for him would be the first to criticise taking a risk with a club of our stauture if he was not up to it within a short period.

That's not to say the whole Saliba deal doesn't look like a fiasco, but the question of what we need at CB if we are to hit the ground running nextseason is a slightly different one, despite the fact that this is Saliba's position.

It’s interesting - everyone now seems to be fully onboard with the idea of your forwards being your first line of defence, but a big chunk of the footballing world (esp. the pundits!) still seem to really struggle with the idea of your defence, and particularly your CBs, being your first line of attack? It’s not just about playing out from the back - the best CBs in the best teams can also evade pressure, carry the ball like a midfielder, and they have the athleticism to push high enough to keep pressure on opponents (by reducing the distance that their attackers and midfielders have to cover when pressing, and by being on the spot to play the ball straight back in if the ball spills out to them).

Of last year’s CB options, only Gabriel really has that pace and athleticism to play high, and he’s not the best on the ball when pressured. Luiz, for all his quality on the ball, forced us to sit too deep because of his ageing legs and could self-destruct at any moment. And Holding and Mari are just solid defenders who offer nothing much going the other way.

Unless there’s something really dodgy in the Saliba deal that we’re trying to cover up, or the kid has a major case of the Guendouzis about him, then I’d be inclined to keep him AND bring in White - sell one of the others if it comes to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

It’s interesting - everyone now seems to be fully onboard with the idea of your forwards being your first line of defence, but a big chunk of the footballing world (esp. the pundits!) still seem to really struggle with the idea of your defence, and particularly your CBs, being your first line of attack? It’s not just about playing out from the back - the best CBs in the best teams can also evade pressure, carry the ball like a midfielder, and they have the athleticism to push high enough to keep pressure on opponents (by reducing the distance that their attackers and midfielders have to cover when pressing, and by being on the spot to play the ball straight back in if the ball spills out to them).

Of last year’s CB options, only Gabriel really has that pace and athleticism to play high, and he’s not the best on the ball when pressured. Luiz, for all his quality on the ball, forced us to sit too deep because of his ageing legs and could self-destruct at any moment. And Holding and Mari are just solid defenders who offer nothing much going the other way.

Unless there’s something really dodgy in the Saliba deal that we’re trying to cover up, or the kid has a major case of the Guendouzis about him, then I’d be inclined to keep him AND bring in White - sell one of the others if it comes to it.
    Agreed. Unfortunately I do think there is more going on re Saliba than meets the eye, but I would be inclined to kep him as a backup choice to the first defensive pairing of Gabriel and White and get rid of one of Holding/Mari. It isn't difficult to see why a Saliba/Gabriel or Saliba/Holding or Mari pairing is not the way we should be going into next season...

Good point re getting your defenders upfield too - our lack of solid options to do so last season is part of why we failed to stretch teams a lot of the time, and why we offered space in between the lines for oppsoition teams to exploit.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are close to signing Nuno Tavares, young left back from Benfica, and Lokonga from Anderlecht. Two promising young players on relatively low fees.

At least feel reassured by the profile of player we are targeting this summer. No more OAPs looking for their last pay out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Unfortunately I do think there is more going on re Saliba than meets the eye, but I would be inclined to kep him as a backup choice to the first defensive pairing of Gabriel and White and get rid of one of Holding/Mari. It isn't difficult to see why a Saliba/Gabriel or Saliba/Holding or Mari pairing is not the way we should be going into next season...

Good point re getting your defenders upfield too - our lack of solid options to do so last season is part of why we failed to stretch teams a lot of the time, and why we offered space in between the lines for oppsoition teams to exploit.
    Who knows, we might want all of them for next season? The extra man would come in handy if we want to play 3 at the back at times, and Mari certainly seems to spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Tbh, a final loan to a PL side would probably be the ideal next step for Saliba’s development, but I have no idea how you’d even go about starting that conversation with him after last summer’s debacle! Plus I’m not sure I’d want to send him on another loan without getting him to extend his contract first… and I don’t see that happening if we send him on another loan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    We are close to signing Nuno Tavares, young left back from Benfica, and Lokonga from Anderlecht. Two promising young players on relatively low fees.

At least feel reassured by the profile of player we are targeting this summer. No more OAPs looking for their last pay out!

Yeah, the profiles have looked good so far - no one above 25, but no one ridiculously young either. Ideal.

Fair play to Edu on the contract work, too - I still have my doubts about him, but tbf he’s quietly and efficiently tied Martinelli (last year), Saka, Balogun and Tierney down to new deals, and managed to bin-off all the trouble-makers (something no one else has managed to do). If he can get ESR signed up and find a new home for Willian then that will go a long way to winning me over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows, we might want all of them for next season? The extra man would come in handy if we want to play 3 at the back at times, and Mari certainly seems to spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Tbh, a final loan to a PL side would probably be the ideal next step for Saliba’s development, but I have no idea how you’d even go about starting that conversation with him after last summer’s debacle! Plus I’m not sure I’d want to send him on another loan without getting him to extend his contract first… and I don’t see that happening if we send him on another loan!
    Can't see us not selling one or even 2 of our current 4 (including - Callum chambers here). Saliba has to stay or be sold. I don't think a loan is feasible. Its suh a shame that we fucked up with him last Summer - and I have doubts about (a) Saliba's desire to play for us any more and (b) how much Arteta cares about that.

Also - agreed #Gooner 23 - now we have all calmed down re Buendia the profiles of the players we are properly linked with is good - and suggests that the potential White deal - though lots of cash - is at least part of a properly considered strategy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    …Also - agreed #Gooner 23 - now we have all calmed down re Buendia the profiles of the players we are properly linked with is good - and suggests that the potential White deal - though lots of cash - is at least part of a properly considered strategy...
    I tell you what else has made a welcome change, and that’s having a range of targets identified for each area (assuming most of the links we’ve seen are accurate).

Although at this point I really couldn’t say what the plan is for RB and the attacking / creative midfielder? Maddison just doesn’t feel like it will go anywhere, and the news sites seem to be really struggling to guess our RB targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell you what else has made a welcome change, and that’s having a range of targets identified for each area (assuming most of the links we’ve seen are accurate).

Although at this point I really couldn’t say what the plan is for RB and the attacking / creative midfielder? Maddison just doesn’t feel like it will go anywhere, and the news sites seem to be really struggling to guess our RB targets.
    Feel like Arteta really likes Chambers at RB. With Cedric as cover it could be bottom of the priority list when it comes to new signings. If we get White done, centre mid & attacking mid has to be the priority.

The one link I am really not keen on is Ramsdale, especially the reported fee (£35m) which suggests he would be a replacement for Leno, not a back up. When you consider we let Martinez go for less than that, it really would be a massive downgrade in that position over a 12 month period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Not keen on Ramsdale as 1st choice GK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me neither, it's a downgrade for sure