User Tag List

Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer '21 transfer lunacy and overpayment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Transfers are on Edu - he's made it clear that he's the man you go through for all recruitment and contract matters. Arteta might help draw up the list of targets, but his responsibility is training the players, tactics and team selections.

I get the frustration - I want someone to rage at too because it feels like we're woefully unprepared for this season to start - but tbf I'm not sure how much you can really blame any of the current management team for how the window has gone? They've had their hands well and truly tied by previous regimes who have saddled us with a squad full of overpaid shit and, surprisingly, there's no market out there for them in a pandemic-devastated Europe. Our owners won't put their hands in their pockets and we have to free up space in the squad before we can add to it - that leaves us with very little room to manoeuvre. I think / hope we'll see some things start to happen as we get closer to the end of the window, but I'm starting to brace myself for maybe having to lose some of the players who we'd probably prefer to keep in order to land our key targets (not our best players, but not the unwanted crap either - I'm starting to look at in-betweeners like Willock, Holding, etc).

Unfortunately, I don't think we can just let Xhaka go for nothing - it looks like his replacement is going to need to be (at least partly) funded by his sale, so Roma's offer of a rubber band and a paperclip is no good to us. Unless someone comes in and meets the asking price that we need to achieve in order to fund his replacement he's more valuable to us as a player.

Much as I wanted him to move on (for symbolic reasons as much as anything else), he really is the least of my midfield worries. The fact is he was our best midfielder last year - that may be a sad fact, but it is still a fact - and him and Partey were actually a decent pairing on those rare occasions that Partey was available. Sure, we could raise the ceiling of our midfield by upgrading him, but the more pressing issue for me is that we desperately need to raise our floor. We can't roll into another season where the next available options are players like Elneny and Ceballos - that's what has really killed us. Looking on the positive side, Ceballos is gone, Lokonga looks the absolute business already, and there's been talk of keeping Azeez around the first team this year - personally, I'd rather make another CM signing and send Azeez out on loan for a full year of first team football, but anything that pushes Elneny further away from the starting XI is an improvement for me (love him, but he really is nothing more than an extra body on the pitch).
    Willian was 100% their doing and if Xhaka gets a new contract then that is too

Don't forget we made Arteta Manager with a capital M so of course he has a lot to do with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Ramsdale deal has broken down as Sheffield hold out for 30 million, which we aren't prepared to pay.

Bit of a shambles really that we go into our first league game without a proper back up keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Willian was 100% their doing and if Xhaka gets a new contract then that is too

Don't forget we made Arteta Manager with a capital M so of course he has a lot to do with it
    Agree about Willian - they have to own that one and, tbf, it does look like they are: he’s basically been benched since Boxing Day 2020, and now he’s not even making the squad for friendlies, which is encouraging. Our targets this summer have also looked very different, and far more data-driven, so hopefully that’s another sign of lessons having been learned (or maybe just a sign that we actually have a scouting and analysis department to identify targets this summer).

Not sure I agree on Xhaka, though. We’ve genuinely tried all summer to move him on, but there’s only been one interested club and they were only prepared to offer half of what was already a hugely reduced asking price for one of our starting CMs.

The talk of a contract extension doesn’t actually bother me too much - from what I’ve read, it’s only an extra year (the second year is just an option), and it wouldn’t be on that much more than he’s on now. If the only offer we have is Roma’s then his sale is borderline worthless to us this summer, so all we’re really doing here is ensuring that he’s not going to be down to his final year going into next summer - if he rolls into next summer with one year left then I guarantee he’s not going anywhere until his contract ends in 2023. He’ll hold out for the free, as will any interested clubs.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 12-08-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Xhaka situation isn’t ideal, and it’s not how I wanted this summer to go, but at this point CM is far less of an issue for me than GK, a 10, RB and CF.

Xhaka + a fit Partey is decent.

Xhaka + Elneny is crap.

Xhaka + Ceballos was crap.

Elneny + Ceballos was just terrifying.

If Xhaka is staying put then there’s a lot of improvements to be made just by avoiding those duff pairings as much as possible. A fitter Thomas Partey (who has a full preseason under his belt) will be a massive help there, as will the addition of Lokonga and Ceballos’s return to Madrid - if we can also promote someone like Azeez, or maybe make another more modest ‘prospect’ signing, then that all helps push Elneny further down the pecking order. God love him, but he really is nothing more than an extra body…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If need be I would push Elneny down the stairs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    If need be I would push Elneny down the stairs...
    You know… it’s hard to hate the guy on a personal level - he’s just a bit of a non-event as a player. I guess he’s a good guy to have around the training ground and a good role model for the younger players in terms of personality, humility and professionalism - if we can’t find a buyer for him then I don’t mind letting him see out his final year to help us transition Azeez into the first team.

But there’s no way he should ever be getting as many games as he got last year - 1 or 2, tops, if we’re all out of other options - and there should be no efforts made to retain him. Just let him quietly bow out with as much dignity as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd play Elneny over Xhaka any day of the week, he's tidy, gives the ball away much less, doesn't get sent off, isn't a c**t etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we want to sign ramsdale why cant the player moan and throw his toys around like most would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Sounds like the Ramsdale deal has broken down as Sheffield hold out for 30 million, which we aren't prepared to pay.

Bit of a shambles really that we go into our first league game without a proper back up keeper.
    Everything is on Edu and Arteta, they seem to be making it up as they go along. Other teams go out and pay what is asked. The money for Ramsdale is ridiculous, surely there are better options elsewhere???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ødegaard rumours picking up steam..