Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Benfica ("home"),

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Agree with this.

Very happy to get through and great character shown at 2-1 down, but we really should have been comfortable against a very poor Benfica side. Fortunately the individual quality of Saka and Tierney bailed us out.

Still struggling with Arteta a bit. I see progress in certain areas but not convinced on his squad management. Very clearly has favourites, regardless of performances on the pitch. Feel like we've really lost our spark after that brief good run in January.

i'd have loved to be at last night's game as the atmosphere would have been good i think, successfully chasing the win from being 2-1 down, but it's still not a good situation to get us into and we don't look like gettign much further in that competition unless we start to be a more coherent unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    We need to be so much better with team selections and subs, we're just winging it at the moment
    This is what worries me about Arteta. He doesn't seem to know IMO.

He has admitted that Saka (another two assists last night) has been our saviour but is now fatigued after playing so much football.

We have to be careful with Saka, ESR, Tierney etc. These are exceptional players and the future of Arsenal Football Club.

Incidentally, have these three signed long term contracts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Game management is a buzz term introduced by incompetents who discovered a fraction of what Bob Paisley instinctively knew. Like your Pep fucker, for instance. Or your second wave Wenger (which is even more horrible because he already accomplished God Mode football). Don't be fooled by all this TV commentary shit. Football is about getting it up the other end at a speed and precision that defeats the opposition. Always has been, always will be. Manchester United and Gordon Hill. Liverpool and Steve Heighway, Arsenal and Marc Overmars, etc, etc... football. Modern managers are experts in reasons why football can't be played. I don't buy into any of it. I know the Liverpool team of the 80s, or the Utd team of the 90s, or our Arsenal lads when we could play - this is football - these teams would slaughter any of the modern day prancers. Were it not for the ridiculous rules that warrant a whistle every time a pansy is within 200 miles of a gust of wind.

You can try and analyse modern football, but there's only one flaw. It's not football.
    Game management in the sense that we are both referring to is the ability to play the game in the way you want to play it, not being dictated to by the opposition. Being good enough to get the ball 'up the other end at a speed and precision that defeats the opposition' is one way of doing this. Of course there will be times when you can't do this - or play the game the way you want to play it - but there is usually a way to at least try - for example a lesser team getting men behind the ball and working on the counter.

IMO the concept is more apparent when a team is failing to manage agame properly - namely failing to play the game in a way that suits it rather than the opposition. Last nigtht was a prime example for me. Benfica were there for the taking. They have an ageing defence and nippy technical players that like to play on the coiunter attack. So what do we do? We slow the game down - aim for possession and keep a high line - ie precisely what they want us to do. Our goals were the result of individual talent not IMO an effective game plan.

Because that for me is what game management really is - an effective game plan - something that all the teams/players you mention had in spades.
    Last edited by IBK; 26-02-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feckin legend!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Tierney, we need more players like him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely should be captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed think even from the bench/treatment table he would be better than Auba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Game management in the sense that we are both referring to is the ability to play the game in the way you want to play it, not being dictated to by the opposition. Being good enough to get the ball 'up the other end at a speed and precision that defeats the opposition' is one way of doing this. Of course there will be times when you can't do this - or play the game the way you want to play it - but there is usually a way to at least try - for example a lesser team getting men behind the ball and working on the counter.

IMO the concept is more apparent when a team is failing to manage agame properly - namely failing to play the game in a way that suits it rather than the opposition. Last nigtht was a prime example for me. Benfica were there for the taking. They have an ageing defence and nippy technical players that like to play on the coiunter attack. So what do we do? We slow the game down - aim for possession and keep a high line - ie precisely what they want us to do. Our goals were the result of individual talent not IMO an effective game plan.

Because that for me is what game management really is - an effective game plan - something that all the teams/players you mention had in spades.
    Lesser teams used to play the long ball (and got slaughtered for doing it). You don't miss it until it's gone. I hear what you're saying and agree with the analysis of our play, but I don't call it management of any kind. More like resignation, which is what Arteta should be contemplating if he persists with the likes of Xhaka and Elneny. He doesn't know how to use Pepe or the new guy either, has them working journeymen roles instead of pushing them up to create problems. No wonder he hated Ozil so much, that sort of player fits nowhere into Arteta's plan.

I watch from time to time to see if there's any hint of progress. I see good players like Tierney huffing and puffing and doing what they can while shitkickers like Bellerin undo anything decent that's produced. That's when you need a bit of management. Sit Bellerin down and tell him to stay sat down. Let the other guy have a run in the team without chopping him after one match. When all the pieces are constantly changing and the manager's more worried about yards run per minute, rather than productive activity per match, it's no wonder the players produce very little and can't get a rhythm going.

We haven't got a settled team, we haven't got any gears beyond reverse and neutral. We have manager's pets and the ranks of the shunned. It's mismanagement if anything. Then he puts it out on the pitch and attempts to manage the mismanagement from the sidelines. No guts and you can be sure there's no glory in the pipeline.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to be so much better with team selections and subs, we're just winging it at the moment

Arteta just brings on Willian whatever the circumstances. there is no logic to it