0 Thread(s)

Match Reaction v Benfica ("home"),

Well what a sack of shit that was.

Let's just move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much harder than it needed to be but well done for the comeback.

On we go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank fuck for that.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to be so much better with team selections and subs, we're just winging it at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be happy with the win, but unfortunately tonight, together with last week's first leg and the weekend have dampened my optimism that we are on the verge of somethig better under Arteta. Benfica aren't that good. We basically gifted them all 3 of their goals (all 3 were down to our mistakes), and we were so profligate last week, but also lacked any killer instinct against Citeh.

What I liked was the character shown by our players - particularly Tierney; Saka and Auba - to get back into the game, but I despair a bit about our inability to manage a game properly. Game 'management' means more than slowing the ball down and keeping possession - which we seemed to do for the middle part of this game - and which was precisely what Benfica wanted. We were terrorising them when we ran at their defence in the first part of the match, but then seemed to ease off and all teams must play for our inevitable head fuck that gifts them a goal. Looks to me like lack of confidence and that will always be exploited.

I'd love to know where we are in the league table of mistakes leading to opposition goals. This has to be more than simply bad fortune - there is a systemic issue heer - and it makes us brittle as a team.

This was a get out of jail result for Arteta and it feels like one. Sorry I can feel more positive ATM about what on paper is an important win.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I have noticed is that we need another Partey type player as the midfield is weak without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I want to be happy with the win, but unfortunately tonight, together with last week's first leg and the weekend have dampened my optimism that we are on the verge of somethig better under Arteta. Benfica aren't that good. We basically gifted them all 3 of their goals (all 3 were down to our mistakes), and we were so profligate last week, but also lacked any killer instinct against Citeh.

What I liked was the character shown by our players - particularly Tierney; Saka and Auba - to get back into the game, but I despair a bit about our inability to manage a game properly. Game 'management' means more than slowing the ball down and keeping possession - which we seemed to do for the middle part of this game - and which was precisely what Benfica wanted. We were terrorising them when we ran at their defence in the first part of the match, but then seemed to ease off and all teams must play for our inevitable head fuck that gifts them a goal. Looks to me like lack of confidence and that will always be exploited.

I'd love to know where we are in the league table of mistakes leading to opposition goals. This has to be more than simply bad fortune - there is a systemic issue heer - and it makes us brittle as a team.

This was a get out of jail result for Arteta and it feels like one. Sorry I can feel more positive ATM about what on paper is an important win.
    Agree with this.

Very happy to get through and great character shown at 2-1 down, but we really should have been comfortable against a very poor Benfica side. Fortunately the individual quality of Saka and Tierney bailed us out.

Still struggling with Arteta a bit. I see progress in certain areas but not convinced on his squad management. Very clearly has favourites, regardless of performances on the pitch. Feel like we've really lost our spark after that brief good run in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree, I despair of this team, I’m delighted we got through but it feels like one step forward two steps back at times with this team. I thought real good progress was being made around a month ago but I have big doubts again given our recent results and performances.

We absolutely cannot afford to give goals away like we did starting from the next round, there are some decent teams in this tournament and Benfica weren’t one of them, we must improve if we want to win this. We are capable of winning it but we need to perform at a much higher level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it a shit performance from a shit team managed by a shit manager and owned by a bunch of shit owners?

Can't say I'm surprised. Didn't watch, didn't know it was on. You think there aren't thousands of ex-Arsenal fans who are the same canoe? This club isn't doing itself any favours if it thinks Korean Jimmy or African Bob can carry it and the legacy fans aren't important.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game management is a buzz term introduced by incompetents who discovered a fraction of what Bob Paisley instinctively knew. Like your Pep fucker, for instance. Or your second wave Wenger (which is even more horrible because he already accomplished God Mode football). Don't be fooled by all this TV commentary shit. Football is about getting it up the other end at a speed and precision that defeats the opposition. Always has been, always will be. Manchester United and Gordon Hill. Liverpool and Steve Heighway, Arsenal and Marc Overmars, etc, etc... football. Modern managers are experts in reasons why football can't be played. I don't buy into any of it. I know the Liverpool team of the 80s, or the Utd team of the 90s, or our Arsenal lads when we could play - this is football - these teams would slaughter any of the modern day prancers. Were it not for the ridiculous rules that warrant a whistle every time a pansy is within 200 miles of a gust of wind.

You can try and analyse modern football, but there's only one flaw. It's not football.
    Für eure Sicherheit