User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Spuds (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Lots of scrutiny about that. I thought it was fair enough.
    Yes, the ball had gone but is that relevant?
    The ball was in play, Laca might well have gone after it but couldn’t because he was fouled.
    Anywhere else on the pitch that’s a free kick, so why not a pel?
    Its an odd one as there is a weird unwritten rule that in the penalty box these don't often get given, but as you say anywhere else on the pitch and its 100% a foul.

I thought we got a bit of luck as was expecting VAR to overturn it, but we've been due something like that to go our way. We fully deserved the win, dominated for 80 minutes. Jenus can cry all he wants.
    Last edited by Gooner23; 15-03-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching MOTD now, absolutely loving it. Keown on the windup is masterful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the penalty was a bit harsh on spurs (but then again, we should have several this year and there were turned down so we deserve some luck!) but Sanchez was no where near the ball and collided with Lacazette. It’s reckless.

Jenas on MOTD is completely wrong on Lamela though, especially with the first booking being harsh. Yes he gets teh ball but in every repay, you clearly him see him sweep his back leg along to take out Partey. Taht was why he was booked.

His second yellow is not even debatable (unless the debate is whether it is a straight red) but he should have been sent off a few minutes earlier for a shocking lunge on Xhaka. Jenas goes on about how it is his first red card, he is correct of course but he is one of those players like Costa. Dirty, snide & reckless but never gets a red card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Tbf, the last 20 could have just been the flight from Greece catching up with us - wouldn’t mind betting their whole “game plan” was to keep it tight and try to outrun us late on...
    You know, given that we are basking in a NLD win this morning, I'm going with you on this - particularly their game plan. Sometimes going down to 10 men isn't as much of an issue as it seems on paper, and in a sense that twat going off with 14 minutes to go was not the issue for Spurs that it might have been if it had happened earlier. It motivated them with a sense of grievance - and produced energy that had been lacking up till then in the knowledge that they could sustain the extra effort. As you say - their game plan was probably to attack late anyway, and - again with the timing - it had a psychological effect on us that it would be easier to preserve the game state - and our performance and concentration levels dropped.

Not ideal from us - but as you say we had a trip to Greece on Thursday and lost a day's training, and Spurs played at home. We are fine tuned to look for mistakes given our recent performances, but I'm not sure that our missteps in this game were anything out of the ordinary for most teams.

Did I mention that I fucking hate Harry Kane?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta’ s attitude to team discipline continues to baffle me.

He drops Auba for being a bit late to the squad meet up. Understandable.

However, Willian went to dubai in November against Covid regulations and nothing. Carried on playing.

He seems to pick & choose when to enforce discipline and its a struggle to work out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post

However, Willian went to dubai in November against Covid regulations and nothing. Carried on playing.

He seems to pick & choose when to enforce discipline and its a struggle to work out
    Agreed, but in fairness we don't know what really happened between Willian and the manager over the Dubai thing...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's the same with the way he was so harsh on Pepe for getting sent off, yet basically let Xhaka off when he tried to strangle a Burnley player

total inconsistency and that's not good for team morale or discipline, if that's what the Auba thing is supposed to be about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Agreed, but in fairness we don't know what really happened between Willian and the manager over the Dubai thing...
    Well he wasnt dropped.

Yes there may have been a fine etc but which one is the worst offence? Breaking Covid regulations to go to Dubai (potentially risking being quarantined for two weeks on return if rules changed during trip) or being a few minutes late to meet up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This feeds into the other thread about Arteta having favourites.
    But he was spot on yesterday about Auba IMO. I like him, he's a great striker but he's not captain material and showing up late to a NLD shows you don't really "get" what being an Arsenal player, let alone a captain, is about.