User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel as you get older you care less?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life just gets serious in the middle and forces you to prioritise what's worth giving a fuck about and what isn't.

When you're younger you have an abundance of free time, but nothing much going on on a personal level that's overly important, so external stuff (like following a football club) ends up taking on more significance (and demanding more of your time than it probably should).

Then, somewhere along the way, you find yourself partnered up, with a couple of kids, a home to run, bills to pay, more responsibility at work, maybe a commute, paperwork coming at you from all angles, relatives and friends who you hardly get to see and have to make a special effort to find time for, etc, etc, and you're lucky you find yourself with maybe half an hour to yourself at the end of each day! You have to become more of a casual armchair-supporter at that point - you don't have the time or energy (or money!) for anything more. It would just leave you exhausted and angry.

But then the kids move away from home, you edge closer to retirement, you have less day-to-day worries about survival, and you suddenly find yourself with a load of free time again and nothing much to do with it - at that point football can come roaring back into your life (if you want it to).

Right now I'm very much stuck in the middle there. Results can still piss me off, but because I have so much else going on I invest very little of myself into following football, so it's easy to just write it off as a minor disappointment. That's the big difference - the investment. When you put so much of yourself into following a club it's hard not to take it as a personal insult when you haven't ended up with satisfying experience from it.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 29-03-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Right. That's definitely a factor too. These guys don't give a damn about the fans these days.
    As you get older you tend to get more nostalgic and look back on the "good old days" more fondly, but I think this is objectively true. There was much more connection between the fans and players back in the day, and the fans and club in general. Since it became big business the players are here today, gone tomorrow mercenaries and the club see us as little more than customers. Back in the day when I was more into it all and a member I was always getting marketing emails trying to extract more money from me. Sad really.
    It doesn't seem so long ago...but of course it is! I remember how things were pre 2006. I used to deleiberately get to my seat in the North Bank while the players were still warming up, and we used to sing their chants until players turned and waved. There did seem to be more of a connection. Now from most players there is a perfunctory clap at the fans at the end of the game and that's it. It certainly seems (from a player's perspactive) to be more about 'me' than 'us' (ie the players club and fans together).

The other thing that's changed is the media grooming of the players. Individual personalities and authenticity have been swapped for players trotting out the same bland comments - even on social media. 90% of the time, player interviews give us literally no insight or connection.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now Im just glad that I was old enough to enjoy our giddy years between 98-2004. My own prime years too, I guess. The kids were infants and I could indulge my neuroses. Now Im completely philosophical about all things Arsenal. I see no upward trajectory ATM so I don't get my hopes up or down either way. Now if we were to get a new owner I might just start dreaming again. However if Spuds were to win the CL before us then I most likely will reach for the cyanide pills or volunteer for the first manned trip to Mars. There would be no point being on this planet after that would there?
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Right now Im just glad that I was old enough to enjoy our giddy years between 98-2004. My own prime years too, I guess. The kids were infants and I could indulge my neuroses. Now Im completely philosophical about all things Arsenal. I see no upward trajectory ATM so I don't get my hopes up or down either way. Now if we were to get a new owner I might just start dreaming again. However if Spuds were to win the CL before us then I most likely will reach for the cyanide pills or volunteer for the first manned trip to Mars. There would be no point being on this planet after that would there?
    a new owner wouldn't make any difference at all unless they knew about football enough to either get rid of Arteta or at least tell him not to play Saka on the left

as for the Spuds thing, absolutely, we live in fear of that day...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't watch the final they were in (I mean, I happened to be double booked, but I wouldn't have watched anyway).
    Was coming back from something and got into a massive traffic jam on the M25. One of those "put the handbrake on" ones.
    I figured the game must be over so I checked the final score, thought "oh thank fuck!" and drove home a bit happier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't watch the final they were in (I mean, I happened to be double booked, but I wouldn't have watched anyway).
    Was coming back from something and got into a massive traffic jam on the M25. One of those "put the handbrake on" ones.
    I figured the game must be over so I checked the final score, thought "oh thank fuck!" and drove home a bit happier
    I felt a massive sense of relief, but I wasn't happy.

They still had their Ajax moment, their City moment, the highs, the nerves and all the rest of it just like we did in 2006.

I walked home that evening thinking it's a long time since we had anything like that, and it looks like it'll be a long time before we do again.

You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True.
    My consolation, other than that they lost, is that was probably their peak.
    How long will players like Kane and Son hang around unless they're challenging for trophies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching with my godson - a Chelsea fan - so couldn't be childish and refuse...

Thanks to Sp*rs' hilarious generosity in the first minute of the game https://www.sportbible.com/football/...inute-20190601 it was an excellent evening
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I was watching with my godson - a Chelsea fan - so couldn't be childish and refuse...

Thanks to Sp*rs' hilarious generosity in the first minute of the game https://www.sportbible.com/football/...inute-20190601 it was an excellent evening
    the only time i ever watch spuds live is against us - i lived in absolute terror of their winning that game and it was only the next morning that my wife found out and told me the result - i can't tell you how relieved i was.

if someone had told me i either had to choose both us winning the EL and spuds winning the CL, or us both losing, i'd have gone for us both losing without batting an eyelid - it literally woud've been the end of civilisation if they'd managed it

that's why i still think there should be a statue of Klopp outside the Emirates - or maybe it should be Sissoko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They obviously weren't going to win.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.